Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources

Comments

• Reply 21 of 193
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulinskip View Post

HDMI may be coming but teh image is clearly faked, half a second with levels in PS shows that

Of course it's fake. It's the same stock image from Apple's site, not a camera phone sneakily taking a pic in some Chinese factory. It's just to show you how it might look.
  • Reply 22 of 193
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Okay, maybe on the Mac mini, but I'd rather see two mini-DisplayPort connectors (w/audio) and an included mDP -> HDMI adapter on all their machines. Choose a standard (DisplayPort), stick with it, and provide adapters for everything else (HDMI, DVI, VGA, component, composite).
  • Reply 23 of 193
    Clearly a fake image, come on guys, check your sources:

• Reply 24 of 193
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Hmmm. I wonder if this means Blu-ray drives are a comin'. A home theater computer should contain everything the home theater needs, after all.

You need to look at what's going on around you, right in front of your face. Blockbuster is circling the drain. Hollywood Video has already assumed room temperature. Netflix is in the process of moving to online content delivery. iTunes is already there.

How much evidence does it take to get the picture? Physical media is on the way out and the trend is accelerating. Blu-ray is completely useless as a data storage or backup media when blank discs are expensive and one can buy a 1TB hard drive for under a hundred bucks. Online content delivery is "good enough" and getting better. The Blu-ray titles are twice as expensive as standard DVD. Walk into any video rental store, or Walmart and take a look at the Blu-ray section squirreled away n the corner. Blu-ray is a technology whose time has already come and gone. It's legacy will be as a transitional technology. Why people can't see that is a mystery to me.

So why should Apple waste its time and expense on a technology that is on the way out, just like the floppy disk drive was when the iMac was introduced?
  • Reply 25 of 193
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

I hope this means HDMI in for the iMacs - I'd love to be able to plug my PS3 into a new iMac and was terribly disappointed to discover that that wasn't possible with the recent models.

Interesting...

I had assumed from the article that only hdmi out was being discussed. I didn't think the iMac was a great form factor for hdmi out since it would look rather odd having an iMac next to your wide screen tv. It makes much more sense for the mini.

But being able to hook up a game console or blue ray player to the iMac screen via hdmi in is much more compelling. I had never really thought about that.
  • Reply 26 of 193
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Tried the other day to connect my MBP to a receiver thru a DVI-to-HDMI-cable. Works, but at least my ONKYO receiver and SHARP LCD-TV gave a couple of unwanted results. The Mac does a great discovery and notes that theres is a TV behind the cable. However, when trying to fit the picture to the screen it offers only two things:

? a smaller but sharp picture including the whole desktop but a large black area around it

? a picture filling the TV-screen which actually is to large leaving the outer limits of the desktop outside viewable area.

I had this exact problem. If you scroll to the top of the list of resolutions in Display preferences (with your TV plugged in), you'll see the proper HDTV resolutions, 720i, 1080i, 1080p, etc. They even have a little TV icon next to them, shame they're hidden. Make sure your TV doesn't have some kind of screen zooming on too.
  • Reply 27 of 193
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Like many have already stated, there is really no need for HDMI ports on iMac for instance.

If they would just enable audio on the mDP that would be fine. They could sell an adapter for it

or let 3rd party handle that.

The adapters nowadays for mDP WITH audio are around 100 bucks. A bit expensive in my book.
  • Reply 28 of 193
    just hope they can find a solution that works with existing miniDPs and not just a new hardware for new computers. if the existing minidp port doesnt support audio and it cant be addressed through software then maybe apple should make a dongle or cable that attaches to both the miniDP and the audio out and fuses into one, like the dongle that exists for the apple display for notebooks that fused power, video, etc into one cable instead of three
  • Reply 29 of 193
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

I hope they just enable audio on the mini-Displayport and make a mini-DP -> HDMI adapter available. I'd prefer Displayport to become more successful.

So do I. I'm a bit confused with all these formats. Wasn't it that Apple introduced the (Mini) Display Port because HDMI had limitations that would soon be exceeded?
  • Reply 30 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Like many have already stated, there is really no need for HDMI ports on iMac for instance.

If they would just enable audio on the mDP that would be fine. They could sell an adapter for it

or let 3rd party handle that.

The adapters nowadays for mDP WITH audio are around 100 bucks. A bit expensive in my book.

Since the audio would just come from the unused pins the adapters already being made will work just fine.

The cost for the mDP-to-HDMI w/audio isn't that expensive. I bought the one with audio over USB for $35 but now they have one with Toslink audio for $50. I think the USB one only allows for two-channel audio from the convertor, but I'd assume the toslink version would do multi-channel, otherwise what's the point?
  • Reply 31 of 193
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm kind of tired of hearing about how often they mess with display adapter technology when we're STILL stuck with USB 2.0. I can't stand syncing my iPhone because it takes forever. Where's eSATA?

Computer speed has quadrupled in speed and the external technologies haven't changed in almost a decade.

Yea, I miss my old Firewire iPod.

I got myself the iPod Classic, loaded it up with all my playlists and music and left it like that, no constant updating needed.

Must be a pain for those with a large music library and a iPod Touch, waiting for it to load it up.
  • Reply 32 of 193
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Tried the other day to connect my MBP to a receiver thru a DVI-to-HDMI-cable. Works, but at least my ONKYO receiver and SHARP LCD-TV gave a couple of unwanted results. The Mac does a great discovery and notes that theres is a TV behind the cable. However, when trying to fit the picture to the screen it offers only two things:

? a smaller but sharp picture including the whole desktop but a large black area around it

? a picture filling the TV-screen which actually is to large leaving the outer limits of the desktop outside viewable area.

Can of course be something else, but just a DVI-to-HDMI adapter needs more than just pins.

I love this! Either they upgrade AppleTV with some more juice or the skip it and do something creative based on MacMini with HDMI output!!!

I currently connects my 2009 Mini to my 26" LG LCD TV via a DVI ->HDMI converter cable, the picture is perfect on full screen. I did have your problems but there's an option on the TV menu where it will adjust the picture to fit full screen.

So I would say play around with the settings on both the computer and the TV and Im sure you will get a perfect picture soon.
  • Reply 33 of 193
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by requieminadream View Post

I'm pretty sure they know it is a fake image since they shopped it themselves. They didn't say they had images of the new mini, they just included that image to help us visualize how the port layout should look.
  • Reply 34 of 193
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    about your tv :

the DVI connector is PERFECTLY AND TOTALLY FINE ! DVI _IS_ HDMI (without sound and hdcp crypting and some color space which not concern us, for your purpose : DVI = HDMI !)

DVI = HDMI

so, if your tv gives "weird" picture, you have to check :

- your mac use the correct resolution (1080p or 720p )

- your tv is configured to give full-pixel (the whole thing the computer is giving, no treatment, no weird video transformation or whatever)

you will obtain great picture.

--

about hdmi, ps3, imac and so on :

_NO_

you cannot connect a ps3 to the imac because the INTERNAL ELECTRONICS of the imac DISPLAY IS _NOT_ an DVI/HDMI display. is NOT

the ps3 need an HDMI/DVI display. the imac 27 is NOT an internal hdmi/dvi display.

the imac can OUTPUT hdmi/dvi/displayport signal to an EXTERNAL display, but the INTERNAL DISPLAY is only PURE displayport.

it is the goal :at term, the industry will use only one format to manage computer screens, both internal and external : displayport. Before displayport it was a mix of dvi and weird proprietary internal stuff : two electronics.

repeat after me : the ps3 needs a hdmi/dvi display, the imac 27 is NOT a hdmi/dvi display

-

HDMI on a mac mini will bring ONE thing : HDCP video support for your tv , the ability to play hdcp crypted content on your tv (itunes store has some hdcp content)
  • Reply 35 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You need to look at what's going on around you, right in front of your face. Blockbuster is circling the drain. Hollywood Video has already assumed room temperature. Netflix is in the process of moving to online content delivery. iTunes is already there.

How much evidence does it take to get the picture? Physical media is on the way out and the trend is accelerating. Blu-ray is completely useless as a data storage or backup media when blank discs are expensive and one can buy a 1TB hard drive for under a hundred bucks. Online content delivery is "good enough" and getting better. The Blu-ray titles are twice as expensive as standard DVD. Walk into any video rental store, or Walmart and take a look at the Blu-ray section squirreled away n the corner. Blu-ray is a technology whose time has already come and gone. It's legacy will be as a transitional technology. Why people can't see that is a mystery to me.

So why should Apple waste its time and expense on a technology that is on the way out, just like the floppy disk drive was when the iMac was introduced?

Um, I'm going to go ahead and say:

1) declining physical media doesn't mean it's dead (PCs and Macs still play music CDs, don't they?); BD will likely never be as big as DVD was, but that doesn't mean it won't be the majority share of media

2) because all of your competitors offer the technology and not having said technology on your machines makes you look . . . decidedly "stick in the mud" from a competitive POV

3) because most educated people who follow this space understand that it has absolutely nothing to do with BD being un-attractive (that hasn't stopped virtually every other computer maker from incorporating the tech), and EVERYTHING to do with Apple pushing its own agenda and business model

As a household with an iMac, a MacBook several iPods and contemplating a MacBook Pro purchase, I can tell you that I won't buy another Apple computer until I can play my BD movies on them. This is a deal-killer for me, and I suspect anyone else with a decent sized BD media collection
  • Reply 36 of 193
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    BluRay, like Flash, is just a placeholder, while better things develop.

To not understand this, is to be left behind. I don't care that average AV heads don't get it, I'm just glad Apple does.

Being able to see more than 3 years into the future is why Apple is where they are, with what they have.
  • Reply 37 of 193
    And pigs will fly!

Believe it when it is reality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple should move to Intel Light Peak: 10Gbps by 2010 to 2011 and up to 100 Gbps by 2020. One single connector rules them all.

• Reply 38 of 193
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 39 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

HDMI on a mac mini will bring ONE thing : HDCP video support for your tv , the ability to play hdcp crypted content on your tv (itunes store has some hdcp content)

I believe all Macs with mDP ports can output HDMI w/HDCP so only audio would be brought to the table but as mentioned earlier that is best down through adding audio support to mDP across the board, not adding another port for HDMI.
  • Reply 40 of 193
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by requieminadream View Post

Reading comprehension is a fantastic virtue.