Steve Jobs says Apple must 'think big' with $40 billion in cash

1111213141517»

Comments

• Reply 321 of 323
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's very simple. If prices go up, then sales will go down.

Sadly enough, unlike people from other countries, Americans have no loyalty to other people working here. Just the price matters.

It's the fault of the consumer that so many companies now manufacture overseas.

Except the price doesn't matter! It does for most companies, but Apple makes no attempt to compete on price anyway. And my point is that the prices don't have to go up. Apple's margins would have to come down dramatically to keep its prices level in this situation, but that's where the $40 billion Apple already has comes in. We are talking about spending that money, remember?

I don't think your second point is particularly true, either. Most consumers have no loyalty, but a lot do, and good marketing will grab them. Apple doesn't sell computers to the "just the price matters" crowd, anyway. You can't got to Wal-Mart and buy a Mac now.
  • Reply 322 of 323
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Except the price doesn't matter! It does for most companies, but Apple makes no attempt to compete on price anyway. And my point is that the prices don't have to go up. Apple's margins would have to come down dramatically to keep its prices level in this situation, but that's where the $40 billion Apple already has comes in. We are talking about spending that money, remember?

I don't think your second point is particularly true, either. Most consumers have no loyalty, but a lot do, and good marketing will grab them. Apple doesn't sell computers to the "just the price matters" crowd, anyway. You can't got to Wal-Mart and buy a Mac now.

It matters for Apple too. Do you really think that the MacBook would sell well if the price was $1,400? It might have to cost more than that if made here. How about raising the prices on the Touch and iPhone by 40%. would that affect sales? Of course it would. How about making the cheapest iMac $2,000? How would that sell?
  • Reply 323 of 323
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Ha, $40 billion and they can't spend anything to see what Apple's impact on the environment is? That's not very green of them.

If you would care to do some research, you would find that Apple ALREADY publishes a full environmental impact report that takes into account ALL the impact of its business. R&D, facilities, manufacturing, USAGE BY CONSUMERS, recycling etc.

The measure voted down was a lame panel forming measure that would product a document to discuss what to do in the future. Apple doesn't sit around and talk, it does.