Plug Ipod into external power supply!!!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My friend just gave me an old 20gb u2 edition ipod and i plugged into my computer and it wanted to update it so i did. Now it wants me to plug it into an external power supply, so i tried using my usb adapter thing and that didn't work and i tried using two other adapters and a different cable that too failed, and now i don't know what to do, i cant do a full restore or whatever because the computer wont detect it and manually resetting it doesn't work, ive also tried the kinda wall charger that isn't an adapter. help???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demo360 View Post

My friend just gave me an old 20gb u2 edition ipod and i plugged into my computer and it wanted to update it so i did. Now it wants me to plug it into an external power supply, so i tried using my usb adapter thing and that didn't work and i tried using two other adapters and a different cable that too failed, and now i don't know what to do, i cant do a full restore or whatever because the computer wont detect it and manually resetting it doesn't work, ive also tried the kinda wall charger that isn't an adapter. help???

These iPods did not support USB. You need a firewire to iPod cable and a powered firewire port, or an old iPod wall charger or dock that was designed to work with these players.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    demo360demo360 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

These iPods did not support USB. You need a firewire to iPod cable and a powered firewire port, or an old iPod wall charger or dock that was designed to work with these players.

but it plugged into my computer just fine with a usb cable :/
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demo360 View Post

but it plugged into my computer just fine with a usb cable :/

It supports data over USB but not charging, IIRC.