Apple sues HTC for alleged infringement of 20 iPhone patents

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against rival handset maker HTC over the alleged infringement of 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware [updated with specific patents].

The suit was officially filed with the U.S. International Trade Commission and in a U.S. District Court in Delaware. Apple announced the lawsuit in a press release.

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," said Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Update: Revealed in the lawsuit are the patents in question. They are entitled:

No. 7,362,331: "Time-Based, Non-Constant Translation Of User Interface Objects Between States"

No. 7,479,949: "Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics"

No. 7,657,849: "Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image"

No. 7,469,381: "List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display"

No. 5,920,726: "System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device"

No. 7,633,076: "Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices"

No. 5,848,105: "GMSK Signal Processors For Improved Communications Capacity And Quality"

No. 7,383,453: "Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor"

No. 5,455,599: "Object-Oriented Graphic System"

No. 6,424,354: "Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods"

No. 5,481,721: "Method For Providing Automatic And Dynamic Translation Of Object Oriented Programming Language-Based Message Passing Into Operating System Message Passing Using Proxy Objects"

No. 5,519,867: "Object-Oriented Multitasking System"

No. 5,566,337: "Method And Apparatus For Distributing Events In An Operating System"

No. 5,929,852: "Encapsulated Network Entity Reference Of A Network Component System"

No. 5,946,647: "System And Method For Performing An Action On A Structure In Computer-Generated Data"

No. 5,969,705: "Message Protocol For Controlling A User Interface From An Inactive Application Program"

No. 6,275,983: "Object-Oriented Operating System"

No. 6,343,263: "Real-Time Signal Processing System For Serially Transmitted Data"

No. 5,915,131: "Method And Apparatus For Handling I/O Requests Utilizing Separate Programming Interfaces To Access Separate I/O Service"

No. RE39,486: "Extensible, Replaceable Network Component System"

While HTC primarily makes handsets running Windows Mobile, the company has also made a number of high-profile phones based on the Google Android mobile operating system. In addition to the first Android phone, the G1, HTC was also behind the recently released Nexus One, which features multi-touch technology.

The lawsuit is yet another filed with the ITC with Apple's name featured prominently on it. In recent months the iPhone maker has sued Nokia, and is also being sued by the Finnish handset maker. The ITC has agreed to look into both companies' complaints of patent infringement.

The ITC has also begun investigating claims made by Kodak against Apple. The camera company has alleged that Apple is in violation of patents that relate to the previewing of images, and processing them at different resolutions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 282
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    I'm dying to know exactly what 20 items they stole from Apple. Glass screen? Buttons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DU...layer_embedded
  • Reply 2 of 282
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Here we go!

"We've patented the hell out of this thing"

Finally! Apple wakes up and takes action.
  • Reply 3 of 282
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    As a shareholder, I am glad Apple is doing something...

It sucks that a few companies like Apple strive to innovate while others just sit by and copy them...
  • Reply 4 of 282
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Well right off the bat, there's that name. It's starts with H, which is way too similar to i, and that creates confusion in the marketplace.
  • Reply 5 of 282
    This is stupid. HTC has been making phones since 2002. In fact I have their first ever Windows Smartphone the Orange SPV.

I wanto know exactly what it is they claim HTC is stealing from them. I wouldn't be suprised if it has to do with the Nexus One getting Multitouch though. But that is only one patent. Seriously 20 things?

We desperately need patent reform. So much of the iPhone was taken from what HTC, Nokia has pionered. Yes, the iPhone was a million times more userfriendly but don't tell me the iPhone would have been possible even without the existance of Windows Mobile and the Orange SPV that broke ground in bringing smartphones to market.

My opinion: Apple is just scared of the future of Android and WP7S. If they were confident about their product and their expansion possibilities they would not sue. If the iPhone OS 4 was revolutionary (like the original iPhone) they wouldn't be scared.
  • Reply 6 of 282
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

...So much of the iPhone was taken from what HTC, Nokia has pioneered.

I don't know what you are referring to. If what you say is true, then why would HTC not sue Apple? And if Apple patents things, what would be the purpose of that when they would not enforce it?

Of course there may be some truth in the fact that Apple is not happy with the strong Google/HTC combination, but they can afford good lawyers and wouldn't start a lawsuit it if they knew the outcome would not be in their favor.
  • Reply 7 of 282
    Quote:

This is stupid. HTC has been making phones since 2002. In fact I have their first ever Windows Smartphone the Orange SPV.

I wanto know exactly what it is they claim HTC is stealing from them. I wouldn't be suprised if it has to do with the Nexus One getting Multitouch though. But that is only one patent. Seriously 20 things?

We desperately need patent reform. So much of the iPhone was taken from what HTC, Nokia has pionered. Yes, the iPhone was a million times more userfriendly but don't tell me the iPhone would have been possible even without the existance of Windows Mobile and the Orange SPV that broke ground in bringing smartphones to market.

My opinion: Apple is just scared of the future of Android and WP7S. If they were confident about their product and their expansion possibilities they would not sue. If the iPhone OS 4 was revolutionary (like the original iPhone) they wouldn't be scared.

Appleis scared of Android?

Check yor meds buddy.... it's time.
  • Reply 8 of 282
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Quote:

I can 100% guarantee that Apple's patents have absolutely nothing to do with HTC's rendition of Windows Mobile.
  • Reply 9 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Appleis scared of Android?

Check yor meds buddy.... it's time.

Personal attacks, nice!
  • Reply 10 of 282
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

You're partly wrong. We do need patent reform and, yes, the iPhone was built on the shoulders of other tech. No one has said this is about multitouch. We'll have to wait and see but it has been on Android phones for awhile outside of the US. Chances are these are some patents which no one in this forum can wrap their heads around.

I seriously doubt that Apple is worried about Android or WM. Android is more popular in the press than it is in reality and right now WM is vaporware. The press promotes Android because they want to create a storyline of an iPhone rival.

Unless you are an AAPL shareholder, no one should give a damn. If HTC loses, they will find ways around the patent as companies always do.

It is interesting to note now that Apple is now defending their patents since the Nokia situation.
  • Reply 11 of 282
    The problem is that htc has been making phones for longer then apple has. Apple could get itself into trouble by doing this. Htc could dig up patents that apple is infringing of htc's .

Also what exactly does apple have patented? Touch screens on phones go back a long way. Also other companies have patents on multitouch also .
  • Reply 12 of 282
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I have a dream... that one of these days sanity will come to the world of Patents. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will end up on the bright side of the reform.
  • Reply 13 of 282
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    This is great news. It's about time Apple beat a company with the patent stick.
  • Reply 14 of 282
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

The only thing scared and stupid is YOU.

Apple doesn't file frivolous law suits. They're too busy making great products, whose patents need to be protected no matter HOW confident they may be about their products and expansion possibilities.
  • Reply 15 of 282
    Quote:

When you've been making phones since is a complete red herring as to whether or not you violated a patent.

Quote:

Certainly we need patent reform, but you've done nothing to show what this case has to do with patent reform. In fact, we know so precious little about the patents in question, that it would be very hard to argue whether they're the types of patents that allow companies to protect IP while continuing to foster innovation (the ideal behind patents), or the types that are meant to allow you easy access to lawsuits (the bad kind).

Quote:

I'm sure Apple treats Android and WP7S as competition and is watching them closely, but I disagree that their confidence in their product would or should prevent them from suing. If you made an amazing widget that you were confident and excited in, and someone came along, stole it, and started selling an exact replica down the street from you, no matter how confident you are in your widget's greatness or the next version of your widget, you have a right to protect your original widget.
  • Reply 16 of 282
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

As a shareholder, I am glad Apple is doing something...

It sucks that a few companies like Apple strive to innovate while others just sit by and copy them...

If you're a shareholder, fine, but don't make this about morality. It's business. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
  • Reply 17 of 282
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem is that htc has been making phones for longer then apple has. Apple could get itself into trouble by doing this. Htc could dig up patents that apple is infringing of htc's .

Also what exactly does apple have patented? Touch screens on phones go back a long way. Also other companies have patents on multitouch also .

You also have to remember that Apple have been in the computer biz since day one. They pretty much invented the UI (albeit initially slightly pilfered), and a phone is just a small computer really.
  • Reply 18 of 282
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

I'm dying to know exactly what 20 items they stole from Apple. Glass screen? Buttons?

most def. the UI element, Pinch off loaf.
  • Reply 19 of 282
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

why would HTC not sue Apple? .

i can almost guarantee we'll see a countersuit.
  • Reply 20 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

The only thing scared and stupid is YOU.

Apple doesn't file frivolous law suits. They're too busy making great products, whose patents need to be protected no matter HOW confident they may be about their products and expansion possibilities.

Another personal attack! I don't think i'm stupid. I think my opinions are different obviously.

I think most of the people on here are hypocrites. I didn't see you people so happy when Nokia filled suit for their innovations.

We don't even know what patents HTC has supposedly infringed. But 20 infringements is a bit suspect. Even Multitouch is suspect since Apple didn't invent it, just bought a company who was working on an implementation meanwhile other companies like Microsoft Research were working on the same ideas (that became the Microsoft Surface).

And if it is all Google/Android related then sue Motorola (their Android devices have multitouch in Europe). Or see Google directly. Or sue Microsoft over the Zune HD.

No they have picked the potentially weekest link and sued them. Hardly classy when HTC only includes software that Microsoft or Google approves (beyond HTC Sense). Unless it is 100% HTC Sense they are after, when I don't see how that is anything Apple like or iPhone like.