Best remark about iPad so far...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I think the reality of it is that what made the iPhone so great was that it was MORE than a phone.. it was a true full fledged computer.. which made it incredibly expensive but incredibly UNIQUE among other phones. The iPad doesn't meet this.. it;s just like any other tablet PC. If anything because of the lack of multitasking it is LESS than other tablet PCs.

This is the stupidest thing I have read today?!

First you state that the allure of the iPhone is that it is a "true full fledged computer"?

Then you state "The iPad doesn't meet this"?

Uh, from all the evidence presented, the iPad IS pretty much an iPhone, minus the ability to make & receive cell call & a camera?

Oh, and the hardware is more powerful, and the screen is higher in both size & resolution?

And before we forget, it just happens to run ALL the same software as the iPhone?

Where exactly is the "doesn't meet this" part??!?
  • Reply 82 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Where exactly is the "doesn't meet this" part…?!?

well... I'm pretty sure he was taking the "iPhone vs previous smartphones" analogy and comparing it to "iPad vs other tablets". (not iPad vs iPhone.)

In that case, I suppose the iPad DOESN'T bring anything new to the table as far as WHAT it is capable of... but... in typical Apple fashion... it does the tablet "things" in a uniquely polished and simple way. Exactly the MO that Apple has used to successfully sell desktops, laptops, music players, phones... and now tablets.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

If only I had referenced that aeons ago....

Oh sure, like I'm so supposed to pick out references to other things that aren't in a contrasting color and underlined and just begging to be clicked. Just ask your students.
  • Reply 84 of 102
    Don't know if anybody has posted this anywhere... sooo many threads, sooo many new people with sooo many negative opinions to wade through...

Stephen Colbert used an iPad at the Grammy Awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC35S...ure=youtu.be&a
  • Reply 85 of 102
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh sure, like I'm so supposed to pick out references to other things that aren't in a contrasting color and underlined and just begging to be clicked. Just ask your students.

You mean my students who usually don't even bother to look up words they don't know?
  • Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You mean my students who usually don't even bother to look up words they don't know?

Yes, them. I demand slack.
  • Reply 87 of 102
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
  • Reply 88 of 102
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Would have been much more practical if they could have at least put a mini-usb port on it for peripherals/data sticks.

This IS a peripheral. Good grief.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This IS a peripheral. Good grief.

Seems to be many people around AI promoting it as a netbook/laptop replacement that you can be creative on. Maybe not what it's meant for, but for $500+ that's what some consumers would expect.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Seems to be many people around AI promoting it as a netbook/laptop replacement that you can be creative on. Maybe not what it's meant for, but for $500+ that's what some consumers would expect.

I've been creative on my iPhone, then just link it to my Mac and finish up there. Sometimes, I have done stuff entirely on the phone (Zeptopad is awesome) and emailed the "finished" product (as it was, a draft).

I entirely expect to be more creative on the iPad as Apple has so kindly given us iWork, which I use on my Mac for much of my printed work and presentations. To me, linking back to a main machine is pretty normal, I guess.

In the future, and I said this somewhere on one of these threads, I think Apple will make the iPad an independent machine that will attach directly to printers and other things. But not yet.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I've been creative on my iPhone, then just link it to my Mac and finish up there. Sometimes, I have done stuff entirely on the phone (Zeptopad is awesome) and emailed the "finished" product (as it was, a draft).

I entirely expect to be more creative on the iPad as Apple has so kindly given us iWork, which I use on my Mac for much of my printed work and presentations. To me, linking back to a main machine is pretty normal, I guess.

In the future, and I said this somewhere on one of these threads, I think Apple will make the iPad an independent machine that will attach directly to printers and other things. But not yet.

I can see Apple moving the iPad to more of an independent device down the road?

I would envision a future iPad user having an iPad & the keyboard/dock combo, maybe a pair of powered stereo speakers attached?

Printing would be to a WiFi-capable printer?

A Time Capsule would be used for a home WiFi connection (with FIOS or the such attached to the WAN port, of course), and would also backup the iPad AND provide a sort of a personal (it just works?!) SAN?

If needed, the USB port on the Time Capsule could have a USB SuperDrive attached, and Apple could work out an implementation of Remote Disc for the iPad?

The real meat behind the iPad as an independent device just might be MobileMe?

With the move away from a visible file system, and the smaller capacity of storage in the iPads, MobileMe and the 'cloud computing' concept may play an important role in making the iPad into an independent device?

Now when do I get my digital comics (subscription, please) Steve??!?

Come on, Disney bought Marvel, and you sit on the board?

(Yes, I will still buy the hard copies, but they will go straight into the box?)
  • Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post

not strictly true. most stores STOPPED taking pre-orders for it MONTHS before it's launch date.

I think he means the name. And I remember it getting made fun of alot, and no people use it as a verb without a second thought
  • Reply 93 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I think he means the name. And I remember it getting made fun of alot, and no people use it as a verb without a second thought

Yep. If you bust out your Wii and somebody giggles, you just think they're out of touch because they've apparently never seen one before.

Already the constant drumbeat of iPad talk is cementing the name in the popular imagination as that particular thing. The adolescent references will quickly come to be seen as a problem with the one making the references, not the device-- if they haven't already.

All of this was predictable, and all of the "controversy" was nothing more than a conflation of typically puerile internet chatter and the usual Apple bashers eager for any weapon, no matter how slight.
  • Reply 94 of 102
    I agree. The average "geek" and the naysayers simply don't get what Apple is doing here.

1) A faster iPOD touch with a large screen? That will change the world. I have a friend who pulls his hair out using the calendar on his iphone. It takes a long time to input items, a very long time to delete single items for one day when they are in the calendar for repeats. The Apple processor in the iPAD is lightning fast. These functions will probably be instantaneous. Next, the large screen means the calendar can now show the whole month! YES. the LARGE screen is an awesome change.

2) Those who are naysayers, saying Apple has not listened to their customers? THEY have not been listening to the market research. The iPOD touch is preferred by many OVER the iPhone because a) they do not have to buy an expensive phone plan, they rely on WIFI and b) parents will not buy a phone for their 8 or 9 or 10 year old, but are buying iPOD touches for them like hotcakes! The larger screen simply means they will now spend more money.

3) WHY did Steve Jobs just meet with fifty NYT executives for dinner? Not only to show them how the iPAD can be used for the advantage of the newspaper (COME ON! The New York Times has had multiple tech people ON-SITE at Apple for weeks. That is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. He had dinner to also show them what it can do for them as executives. To show them WHY THEY need one. And then they will realize why the iPAD will be a HUGE HIT with business people. I predict that within 4 years 80% of workers who ride the train or bus to work every day will own an IPAD. Naysayers complain "Oh, they have a phone and a laptop. They are not going to buy another device". These people are wrong because every one of those commuters now ALSO carries a newspaper or a book. The newspaper or book will be replaced by the iPAD. Which will carry ALL THEIR NEWSPAPERS, BOOKS, MUSIC etc.... and if they want to watch a movie on the way to and from work? With the iPAD they can do that to. It is NOT a laptop (a device to create). It is an iPAD (to enjoy media that already exists!) Though Apple was very smart to create versions of iWORK (word processor, spreadsheet, keynote presentation software) for those who will want to get some work done on their iPAD. And remember, it will have a ten hour battery life for watching video. That means an executive can get on a plane, read the New York Times, Business Week, a book, nap for an hour listening to music, watch a movie and arrive ten hours later in Hawaii and STILL have battery life. No iPhone or laptop can do that.

The Naysayers want one device to do everything. Steve Jobs and Apple have been masterful at figuring out what is JUST ENOUGH in a product they sell. Do these naysayers own ONE DEVICE in their kitchens? That opens cans, opens jars, opens wine bottles, blends their fruit drinks, toasts their bread, and makes their coffee? NO! They own at least two different types of can openers, a corkscrew, a blender, a toaster and a coffee machine! Why on earth do they think one electronic device can do it all?

4) PREDICTION. Remember Star Trek? No books. I predict that within five years children will no longer lug 15 pound knapsacks to school. They will carry their iPAD which will contain all their books, assignments etc. They will take exams on their iPAD and click SUBMIT and it will be on their teacher's computer.

5) Amazon has been raping the publishers. YOU don't buy a book because it is made of paper. You are not paying for the paper. You are paying for the content. Apple is changing that model. They have told the publishers we agree, you SHOULD be able to charge more for your "content".

6) Prediction: the iPAD will be adopted slowly but consistently over about 2 years. In about two years sales of iPAD sales will begin to soar. A classic hockey stick curve of adoption. (Though perhaps in less than two years).

7) Prediction: Apple has tricks up its sleeve. Such as videoconferencing on its second release of the iPAD.

8) Prediction: Apple has not revealed all on purpose. So all the competitors will spend R&D to develop tablets such as the one Steve Jobs just revealed. And in two years Apple will release version 2 that will have functions no one else has thought of.

9) Prediction: the Kindle will be nearly dead within two years.

NOTE: I own Apple stock.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    Flash is a CPU hog. I have a Macbook pro with 4GB ram. Both Safari and Firefox locks up when I go to a normal site with flash ads, or flash based site. I assume that iPad can take the loading but if it makes the battery from 10 hours to 1.5 hours of life, I'll definitely switch it off.

I think Apple would rather have people wishing that the iPad have no flash rather than pointing fingers at the iPad for shitty 1.5 hour battery life wouldn't you say?
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Flash is a CPU hog. I have a Macbook pro with 4GB ram. Both Safari and Firefox locks up when I go to a normal site with flash ads, or flash based site. I assume that iPad can take the loading but if it makes the battery from 10 hours to 1.5 hours of life, I'll definitely switch it off.

I think Apple would rather have people wishing that the iPad have no flash rather than pointing fingers at the iPad for shitty 1.5 hour battery life wouldn't you say?

Flash 10.1 does most of it's decoding in the GPU with virtually no hit on the CPU. That is, at least on Windows. Apple won't allow access to the GPU in OS X. I'm starting to notice a trend here.
  • Reply 97 of 102
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Flash 10.1 does most of it's decoding in the GPU with virtually no hit on the CPU. That is, at least on Windows. Apple won't allow access to the GPU in OS X. I'm starting to notice a trend here.

Your facts are correct, but your conclusions are wrong. MacOS X abstracts the GPU. Every developer has access to the Mac GPU through the system's graphics frameworks. The correct inference is that Adobe has chosen to develop Flash on the Mac as a cheap Windows port rather than as genuine MacOS X software. How's that working out for them now?
  • Reply 98 of 102
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

... I also suspect that if Jef Raskin were still with us, he'd be very satisfied with [lack of a file system] development, which brings us a lot closer to his original conception of the Mac.

True. The documents still have to be accessed somehow. Jef Raskin espoused the zooming metaphor to access documents, judging from his writings (Google maps an excellent example of that). However, he'd be disappointed with the proliferation of apps ("there's an app for that"), each app having its own modes, actions, appearance, and behavior.

Two steps forward, one step back, but we're getting there.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    I need a casual computer for websurfing on the couch while watching TV. I sold my iBook years ago. I truck my Thinkpad back and forth from work to home, but Windows makes for a pretty crappy websurfing + AIM + etc experience.

I keep toying with the idea of buying a 13.3" MBP for this purpose, though I'm not sure it's worth spending that much money on just to save myself the effort of carrying my work laptop home.

I could potentially make do with the iPad as a couch websurfing machine, IF it ran OS X.

I need:

background apps (think: Adium)

terminal (so i can scp files to my desktop machine which downloads torrents and such)

So, the iPad is a no sale for me -- unless I can get my employer to buy an Arrandale MBP for me, mostly leave that at home, and buy the iPad as a curiosity. And, frankly, at the low sans-3G pricepoint, it's surprisingly cheap.

Say all you want about push notifications, but it doesn't replace true multitasking. I don't care on the iPhone, which I just use for basic features (hell, it's not even hacked because I don't find the upkeep worth it).. but for a home casual machine, I want good applications. Some of the iPhone replacements for the OS X counterparts are pretty weak.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    I think there is probably a huge commercial use not yet even realized. For instance, medical staff, warehouse managers, port workers, the police and state troopers, and probably hundreds more will probably all at some point be assigned an ipad since they're big enough to see, more portable than a laptop, easier to use than non-touch devices.

This in addition to a whole lot of baby boomers that will fall in love with it because the screen and images are so beautiful and its so easy to use.