Google backs HTC in what could be 'long and bloody battle' with Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 284
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Apple lost, eventually, due to prior art at Xerox-PARC

From my understanding it was more to do with John Sculley's signing a contract which licensed key parts of the Mac OS to Microsoft for Office development.
  • Reply 42 of 284
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    And so the cold war between Apple and Google starts in earnest.
  • Reply 43 of 284
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Serious question: Is there an example of an original Google creation that is successful in the marketplace?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Search? Maps? Do those count?

Those aren't original in the sense of them being the first to do them. One could argue they did them better (which is probably correct in terms of search, but not clearly so, in my opinion, in terms of maps) but I'm not sure I would call them "original creations". One of the problems with Google is that they don't respect the law, particularly IP law, and act like it doesn't apply to them.
  • Reply 44 of 284
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by too999 View Post

This is a good tactical move by Apple to disrupt Android developers support. If the lawsuit is not over, how will the developers know what technology they can or can't use? They will wait for the lawsuit and development will stall on the Android platform.

Not that Apple's app store is losing pace but this sure will propel Apple platform to even further ahead. Good work!!

An interesting take . . . makes sense.
  • Reply 45 of 284
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Basics in negotiation: you go for much more than you want, and you settle for what you initially intended to get. It is as simple as that.

I understand that. But lets just say they find a judge crazy enough to grant this. There are drastic consiquences that can flow from this...
  • Reply 46 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Edited for missing his point... sheesh, Learn To read.

Yep - I agree. But I doubt the cross licensing will happen. At least not until the iPad and iPhone 4.0 are well established. Just setting back Android/WiPho7 a year will be enough to cement apples leadership.

Well said!
  • Reply 47 of 284
    trboydentrboyden Posts: 165member
    Sure there is. As patent trolls often do, they wait until a company has made a lot of money with their patents (knowingly or not) and then go after them when there is a lot of money to go after. Obviously this is not the case with Apple and Google as they both have billions of cash in reserve, but it is S.O.P. in patent law and is a result of patent law abuse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Ah. Cool.

Well, no point in sitting them though.

• Reply 48 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One of the problems with Google is that they don't respect the law, particularly IP law, and act like it doesn't apply to them.

You have proof to back up that libelous statement? Or are you just being a troll?
  • Reply 49 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

It has been suggested elsewhere that Apple's internal statistics are not optimistic or that something is askew for the future, suggesting that Apple feels threatened to the point of cutting off competition with litigation.

Apple, unlike some, aren't known for using such tactics just for stomping the competition, and I hope they don't become know as such. They appear to want to compete on their own merits, and having chosen to do so, are obligated to defend their patents in order to survive those who have no qualms in violating them, IF that's the case. I chose to suspend judgement and observe whatever 'irritainment' comes out of this.
  • Reply 50 of 284
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

- Steve Jobs, 1996

He was CEO of Pixar at the time, not Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 284
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

You have proof to back up that libelous statement? Or are you just being a troll?

Maybe you haven't heard of the Google Books case?
  • Reply 52 of 284
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

It has been suggested elsewhere that Apple's internal statistics are not optimistic or that something is askew for the future, suggesting that Apple feels threatened to the point of cutting off competition with litigation.

This makes no sense.

Apple has a long history of vigorously defending their intellectual property.

Sorry, nothing new to see here. Keep moving along.

Oh, and aren't you overdue to mindlessly parrot the same broken record about fragmentation? It's been about three posts from you. It's about time for you.
  • Reply 53 of 284
    Actually, it's not. It shows a lack of knowledge of how the open source community works.

Open source programmers could care less about patents. If a legal case determines that a feature they developed is infringing, they just modify it and move on. Apple's huffing and puffing will do nothing to slow to progress of open source development. In fact it might actually back-fire as several open source licenses have provisions that will revoke the right to use "any" open source software if a user of said software brings a patent suit against another open source project. It is a M.A.D. clause to prevent heavy users of open source (such as Apple) from abusing their software patents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by too999 View Post

This is a good tactical move by Apple to disrupt Android developers support. If the lawsuit is not over, how will the developers know what technology they can or can't use? They will wait for the lawsuit and development will stall on the Android platform.

Not that Apple's app store is losing pace but this sure will propel Apple platform to even further ahead. Good work!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

An interesting take . . . makes sense.

• Reply 54 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Those aren't original in the sense of them being the first to do them. One could argue they did them better (which is probably correct in terms of search, but not clearly so, in my opinion, in terms of maps) but I'm not sure I would call them "original creations".

Do you believe Apple invented multi-touch?

The only hope Apple has for not having their multi-touch patent shot down by "prior art" claims would be if it's so specifically defined in their patent that it can't be confused with the many previous implementations (which may well be what they're banking on).

But while that may sustain them legally, in terms of the principle of invention you've described here it makes Apple merely a refiner of an existing idea, not the originator.
  • Reply 55 of 284
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

- Steve Jobs, 1996

You keep repeating this like it means something in this discussion.

One cannot patent an idea.

Do you understand that yet?
  • Reply 56 of 284
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

- Steve Jobs, 1996

Very true. And Jobs and Apple have continued to do so and openly.*,?

However, the ideas are not what is being adjudicated. It is the how you accomplish it.

In the same interview in 1996 (2 years before he returned to Apple), Jobs also said,
    Quote:

I was worth?over 100 million dollars when I was 25,?it wasn't that important because I never did it for the money

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDtiHRbFDk&NR=1

Steve Jobs Documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MwD-...eature=related

How Windows REALLY Became The Market Leader http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytWjEd2gcg&NR=1
  • Reply 57 of 284
    Quote:

Really, where was this? Give us the link.

An analyst just upped his iPhone estimate from 7.2m to 7.9m for the quarter, which would be a 108% increase over last year.
  • Reply 58 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Serious question: Is there an example of an original Google creation that is successful in the marketplace?

Adwords? I'd argue they became so successful for that reason alone.
  • Reply 59 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

By attacking an open source project (if that is indeed the case here and it's not about the App Store integration) Apple is violating the licensing terms of several open source licenses and they could have their right to use open source software in their products revoked.

Which licenses are being violated by Apple, and how?
  • Reply 60 of 284
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

I haven't read the docs, but how in hell do you not name Google in this lawsuit when they developed the software that is probably principal to the 20 named patent infringements.

I'm guessing that Google has a bit of a firewall between themselves and Apple via licensing arrangements with their Hardware partners. (Google isn't selling the phone).

Both companies have plenty of cash, but my money is on Apple in this one.

Word to Google and Eric...... what comes around goes around.

But the Android software is actually implemented in a product that is made and sold by HTC.