Suppliers deny iPad production issues, expect to ship 650K at launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's overseas manufacturing partner Foxconn has not experienced any production problems in building the new iPad, due for release later this month, sources have reportedly told DigiTimes.

While the company would not offer any official comment, anonymous people within the company said they should be able to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 units this month, and another million in April. The sources also indicated that is "unlikely" that Apple would change the launch window of the iPad.

The claims came in response to an analyst who, on Monday, alleged that iPad production had hit a "manufacturing bottleneck" and would see its initial supply reduced to just 300,000. The analyst also said that the issues could limit the initial debut to the U.S. only, and could even delay the launch by a month. The issues were attributed to an "unspecified production problem."

The report follows a rumor from this week that the iPad is on track for an alleged sale date of March 26. The 3G-enabled versions of the iPad, which sell for an additional $130, will arrive a month later.

That same report suggested Apple store employees could begin receiving training on the new hardware starting March 10. It also stated that Apple intends to begin airing iPad commercials, which will emphasize the device's e-book capabilities, on TV starting March 15.

Apple is expected to face strong demand for the iPad at launch, with most on Wall Street predicting first-year sales of between 1 million and 5 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Apple is Doomed!?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    "Quick, hire more kids! We have a deadline to meet!"
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Pump and dump. Or is this a case of dump then pump?
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is Doomed!?

I would not be surprised iPad sales exceed expectation to near 10 million by the end of 2010. I have been following Apple since 1979 with all ups and downs.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    "Apple is expected to face strong demand for the iPad at launch, with most on Wall Street predicting first-year sales of between 1 million and 5 million."

Yeah that pins it down. And I predict lines will range from two people to two hundred at each store.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    I guess the iPad production delay rumor was much ado about nothing.

Wasn't the source of the rumor the same guy that created a rumor for the iPhone pre-launch that turned out to be not true as well?
  • Reply 7 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't know why these rumors get started so quickly.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    I think the iPad pre-sale and production delay rumors were both from one source(not the same), and everybody took a lot of notice and ran with the stories. I guess in this frenzied state of pre-launch, that's to be expected.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I just heard a rumour that this isn't the last pre-launch iPad rumour we'll read about.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just heard a rumour that this isn't the last pre-launch iPad rumour we'll read about.

That's not a rumor, that's a fact.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The killer app for the iPad could be the iBook and Apple already has that going. The competition from Kindle is lame... it is like going back to watching B&W TV. Most textbooks need color display.

The competition does have some color displays, but the price difference is not significant. Why would anybody want another wannabe product? Just for the Flash? I have not missed it in the iPhone. Camera would be nice... but video conferencing has not a hi use item either.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know why these rumors get started so quickly.

Because we live in a world proliferated with sites like AI?
  • Reply 13 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

That's not a rumor, that's a fact.

No - that's humor.

These analysts are amazing aren't they. Apple is predicted to sell between 1 and 5 million units? Hmmm... yes, that sounds pretty accurate. Who listens to their advice? They're like a bunch of kids making up stories for attention.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because we live in a world proliferated with sites like AI?

It has nothing to do with AI. None of these people think about AI when they come up with these rumors, and it's not likely they think of other rumors sites either. They're not coming up with this stuff for people to read as rumors, thats just the way some of us take it. This is information they prepare for their customers. We do tend to forget the ones that are pretty close, and rag on the ones that are not.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

No - that's humor.

These analysts are amazing aren't they. Apple is predicted to sell between 1 and 5 million units? Hmmm... yes, that sounds pretty accurate. Who listens to their advice? They're like a bunch of kids making up stories for attention.

You'd be surprised at how many business BUY their reports, which are far more involved than the headlines they get with the little they release to the public.

Actually, those predictions are the least of it. The reports are pages and pages of heavy data which corporations use for their own forecasts. The fact that these businesses that make these reports are in business shows that they're taken seriously. Some analysts make better predictions based on their data than do others.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

No - that's humor.

I'm sure he got the jist of my post. He is right, it's like that saying "nothingbis certain but uncertainty" or thereabouts. The only thing we know for sure I that the rumours will continue.

Quote:

I listen to them because you know anything they say will not happen. Process of elimination. It's like when I find my start agreeing with certain AI posters I need to go back and reread the original post because I likely missed something important.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:

It has nothing to do with AI. None of these people think about AI when they come up with these rumors, and it's not likely they think of other rumors sites either. They're not coming up with this stuff for people to read as rumors, thats just the way some of us take it. This is information they prepare for their customers. We do tend to forget the ones that are pretty close, and rag on the ones that are not.

The very existence of AI is to run up the stock early for a quick profit before Apple officially releases products. The only reason to read AI is to get inside information. It certainly isn't to learn new things to chat with other members of the great Apple community. As demonstrated by the insults and bickering that go on endlessly here.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    650K is a lot... i only need 1
  • Reply 19 of 48
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I does, in an indirect way. Both the analysts and Apple fans such as ourselves are engaging in the same sort of tea leaf reading. For different reasons, maybe -- but the motive is nearly the same. We all want to know what Apple will do before they do it. The difference is that the analysts literally want their clients to "put stock" in the rumors. We can take them for what they are (if we choose).
  • Reply 20 of 48
    650K? That's it? For the whole world?