Possible upgrade...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

I was wondering if it is possible to replace the motherboard in the iMac 24" (Bought it Fall 09) with a newer, more expandable board.

I have a couple in mind, but I'm just not sure if they will work. If you know of one that will work, thats expandable than shoot me one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131378

Any compatability issues here?

Let me know,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    No ... Apple uses custom size/shape boards to enable their svelte enclosures.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Wha... yeah, I wish!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    So theres no way to replace the motherboard... even if I just basically took the whole thing apart and replaced everything inside? What is I found the 27" board and put that in... would it fit? Would it work?

Bummer... any alternatives?

Thanks guys
  • Reply 4 of 13
    No ... Apple uses custom size/shape boards to enable their svelte enclosures.

And that's a different board in each model ... so... your answer is still NO.

Now... of course there are exceptions to every rule... but the engineering and manufacturing expertise that would be required of you to design and build your own replacement board would likely cost you more than just buying a brand new top-of-the line iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Okay, I see what you mean. Thanks for the good answers. So what about the CPU? I have seen multiple forums discussing the CPU upgradability, and even one that claims he's done it, and then I've read more that say that its impossible to upgrade the CPU. ???

I guess I am just looking for an upgrade of any kind...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    This is what the motherboard on the 27" iMac looks like.

http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...yGmyPPQJ.large
  • Reply 7 of 13
    In the past, Apple has soldered their CPUs to the board. This allows for a much lower profile than a socketed CPU, but makes an upgrade almost impossible.

I would assume they still do this on the iMacs, but I don't know for certain.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applergeek View Post

Okay, I see what you mean. Thanks for the good answers. So what about the CPU? I have seen multiple forums discussing the CPU upgradability, and even one that claims he's done it, and then I've read more that say that its impossible to upgrade the CPU. ???

I guess I am just looking for an upgrade of any kind...

Not to discourage you, but of all the computers you could have purchased, you bought the ONE computer that will not work with what you're trying to do.

Besides, why does a 2009 iMac need replacement-anything?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Actually, I opened up my iMac the other day, and I removed the CPU, so they aren't soldered in. it uses 478-pin connectivity.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Thanks for the motherboard pic:

So why wouldn't that motherboard work? it looks the same. but I guess it probably uses different connections or somethng. but if it worked, i could upgrade to the quadd cpu.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applergeek View Post

... it looks the same.

See, now we KNOW you are trolling.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Yes i'm trolling but not lying.

One thing I noticed was that the ethernet and mini display were switched around, but other than that. Do they use the same cables?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The product you linked to looks nothing like the iMac board.