First AT&T phone with Google Android will feature Yahoo search

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Although Google makes the Android mobile operating system, the search giant's chief competitor, Yahoo, will be the default provider on AT&T's first Android-powered handset, due to be released March 7.

The Motorola Backflip will feature Yahoo search out of the box, though users will be able to manually change the provider to Google if they so choose, according to BusinessWeek. Because the Backflip is not a Google-branded product, like the Nexus One smartphone, the search company declined to comment.

Yahoo spokesman David Katz cited AT&T and Yahoo's "long-standing relationship" for search partnerships. AT&T, the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S., announced in January that it would release a number of Android devices -- the company's first in its line of smartphones -- this year.

The Backflip will mark the first time U.S. customers under contract with AT&T will have the option to choose between Android and the iPhone. It was the introduction of Android as a multi-device iPhone competitor that helped to push Google CEO Eric Schmidt from the Apple Board of Directors last August.

The Android operating system indirectly came under fire this week when Apple filed a patent infringement suit against handset maker HTC, which has partnered with Google to create the Nexus One, along with a number of other Android-powered devices. HTC is accused of violating 20 patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware capabilities, including multi-touch.

Some have speculated that Apple chose to sue HTC because an update to the Nexus One recently enabled multi-touch functionality on the smartphone's native applications, including the Web browser and maps. A year ago, HTC also introduced an Android phone with an iPhone-like virtual keyboard.

Google remains the default search provider on Apple's iPhone, though in January a rumor surfaced that Apple and Microsoft were in talks to make Bing the standard on Apple's mobile devices for search and maps. Google has deflected questions about the alleged talks between Apple and Microsoft, stating that it considers Apple to be a "valuable partner," and has no reason to believe that will change.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Choice is Good...

Companies secure enough in their products that they actually offer 'Choices" are even better!

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 2 of 26
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I think its pretty obvious that Apple had a huge influence on this choice.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I think its pretty obvious that Apple had a huge influence on this choice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blah View Post

though users will be able to manually change the provider to Google if they so choose

I think it may have been something yahoo bid on...

lol can you imagine Apple saying, "The default search engine for AT&T's android phone will be yahoo. TAKE THAT GOOGLE!"
  • Reply 4 of 26
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    I think Google reviewed MS history and put Yahoo in their Android OS so the FEDs can't drag them to court on anti-trust, racketeering or monopoly charges... one of 'em anyways...

"I think it's wrong that one company should make the game Monopoly." - Steven Wright, comedian... love his work!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    This has nothing to do with Apple and is pure Marketing for yahoo, 1 minute after figuring out the phone most people will probably switch over to google.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm not sure why this should be a shock. Google doesn't control the OS the vendor uses. They also offer a wide variety of search engines on Chrome.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

This has nothing to do with Apple and is pure Marketing for yahoo, 1 minute after figuring out the phone most people will probably switch over to google.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    old bobold bob Posts: 2member
    This is just the beginning.... Apple has some tremendous leverage and will up the ante slow until it gets attention......

Just announcing the suit starts the slow freeze of developers, handset makers and Android Marketplace apps.....Manufacturers have to realize that their phone could go dead if things go bad on infringement....

The hammer is dropping Google off iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, the most active and important instruments in mobile search, which is the wave of the future... when its about to hit Google's pocket they will yield...

Just the announcement of replacing Google Search with Bing would drop Google stock price by a bundle.... in the end its all about the money and Google is playing a dangerous game as Apple has all the marbles it needs to play this game to the death.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post

This is just the beginning.... Apple has some tremendous leverage and will up the ante slow until it gets attention......

Just announcing the suit starts the slow freeze of developers, handset makers and Android Marketplace apps.....Manufacturers have to realize that their phone could go dead if things go bad on infringement....

The hammer is dropping Google off iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, the most active and important instruments in mobile search, which is the wave of the future... when its about to hit Google's pocket they will yield...

Just the announcement of replacing Google Search with Bing would drop Google stock price by a bundle.... in the end its all about the money and Google is playing a dangerous game as Apple has all the marbles it needs to play this game to the death.

Don't think so; I think the likes of Motorola, Samsung, and LG can easily fight back on patents in a way that HTC would have much more of a challenge. Their patent portfolios are likely to be strong enough to cause a problem for Apple, but HTC's role in the past doesn't seem as convincing.

In reality, I think Apple expects to be able to contain/constrain 30-50% of the handsets running Android, and do an effective job de-stabilizing it a little. Without the action, I think Apple would have some problems defending the marketplace.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post

Yes, this is just the beginning. Android will crash and burn, and it all starts here, right now, with yahoo as the default search engine. We all know everyone who uses an Android phone will be too dense to know how to make google their default search engine!

Really, you sound so kookoo when you talk like this. Is this really indicative of pending doom for Google?

I guess HTC making Opera mobile 9.5 the default browser in some of it's windows mobile phones spells doom for Microsoft... Oh wait.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    What does this have to do with Apple? This site sucks, how do you delete an account? Anyone know?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

What does this have to do with Apple? This site sucks, how do you delete an account? Anyone know?

How does a competing handset on the same carrier affect Apple? Is that a serious question?

If you want your account deleted you can A) Request it from the Mods, or B) just starting trolling hardcore. The latter will get you instantly banned again if they find out you've resigned up, so I suggest the former method.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does a competing handset on the same carrier affect Apple? Is that a serious question?

If you want your account deleted you can A) Request it from the Mods, or B) just starting trolling hardcore. The latter will get you instantly banned again if they find out you've resigned up, so I suggest the former method.

I knew you'd be one of the first to tell me how to delete the account Should be able to delete the account on my own, no? Anyway, I'll contact a Mod, trolling will take to long and give the site more hits. Thanks.

BTW, that handset is not competition to the iPhone and it's not the only handset that ATT has besides the iPhone. I don't recall seeing them all listed here in articles as they were released.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

BTW, that handset is not competition to the iPhone and it's not the only handset that ATT has besides the iPhone. I don't recall seeing them all listed here in articles as they were released.

They've had articles about Android-based, Windows-based and Palm phones since the iPhone became a product. It's all competition, and that competition has gotten closer this year than any other time since the inception of the iPhone.

The real story is the switch from Google to Yahoo for search. Since Apple also includes both those engines as options and there is a rumour that Bing will make its way to the iPhone it's viable. Two things: Change does happen and Apple's goal is the money.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    This is a disastrous trend. Soon HTC will give us a browser ballot on WPOS (don't they just pick the best names like WinMob )

THe hOrroR, thE HOrRor
  • Reply 16 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This is great chess by the google people, a high profile phone with your os and a competitors engine, that will look really good it at some point Google finds its self up against antitrust charges in the mobile phone search market.

"we let people choose, we let vendors and carriers make search deals with 3rd parties on our OS, if end users choose us, we must be doing a better search for their needs"
  • Reply 17 of 26
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Great now I will start seeing "make (insert search provider here) your default search engine" on mobile phones. It's annoying enough on desktop.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    . . .
  • Reply 19 of 26
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    The important question will be how many people choose an Android phone over the iPhone when they are on the same provider. I also wonder if tethering will be allowed on the Android while still being denied for the rest of us iPhone users by AT&T.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

The important question will be how many people choose an Android phone over the iPhone when they are on the same provider. I also wonder if tethering will be allowed on the Android while still being denied for the rest of us iPhone users by AT&T.

iPhone users Are data hogs.