Apple pressures music labels to abandon Amazon MP3 Daily Deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Now it's easy, just go to each artist you like and only download the $1.29 songs.

This is EXACTLY what the music industry wants you to do. Buy something based on the thought process that higher price = better music.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Now if I had a clue ahead of time, I would have likely only bought the 3,500 songs at $1.29 each for $4515.

Instead I bought all my songs for 99¢ each and spent about $8000.

So you didn't want those 4500 other songs (8000-3500) yet purchased them anyway?
  • Reply 22 of 55
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Doesn't apply here, at all

Thanks for your brilliant analysis on all applicable anti-trust issues. John Sherman would be proud.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Having been an Apple user for twenty-six years I am keeping my eye out for the new players in tech.

The thing is, with 40B in cash, there won't be "new players in tech" that effectively compete with åpple. They will be swallowed whole.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

The thing is, with 40B in cash, there won't be "new players in tech" that effectively compete with åpple. They will be swallowed whole.

that's what people said about microsoft 10 years ago
  • Reply 25 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The thing is, with 40B in cash, there won't be new players in tech that effectively compete with åpple. They will be swallowed whole.

That isn't true. Throughout history, not just with the recent tech industry, we've seen the powerful topple and the weak rise up.

HTC has a higher valuation and makes more profit than Apple did when Jobs came back to the helm. We've seen Firefox spearhead a change in the browser market which has forced MS to support open standards more readily and it's likely that within a couple years IE will account for less than 50% of the browser market despite being on 95% of the world's PCs.

If you have an idea then push for it. It may be stupid, you may be crazy, but nothing is worse than apathy or a fear of failing. As Einstein said, the difference between insanity and genius is your level of success.

Plus, maybe you'll get lucky and have Google buy you for way too much money after only a few months.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Suggestion:

Instead of all this 'pressuring' this company or that industry, simply make offerings so compelling in both features and price that you don't have to constantly resort to 'Bully Tactics' when the threat of competition looms near.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 27 of 55
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Is this any surprise? Apparently people actually think Apple and Steve Jobs are their friends. Steve Jobs is loyal to his kids, etc

Lisa, anyone?

(too low a blow?)
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhnaten View Post

Apparently Apple is the new Microsoft.

yes apple sure does seem to be engaging in a lot of pettiness lately. i voted with my credit card and started buying my music from amzn.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcatdaddy View Post

yes apple sure does seem to be engaging in a lot of pettiness lately. i voted with my credit card and started buying my music from amzn.

That is like shaving before weighing yourself if you are still using a Mac and/or iDevice to listen to them.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    What the hell has happened to Apple lately?! They seem to be determined to be the biggest jerks in the whole industry all of a sudden. Far from being the cool to be different underdogs, they're behaving as badly as Microsoft ever did.

I'm seriously considering ditching my iPhone and getting a Nexus One.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

That has not been the case with Apple. They have bought a few small companies and actually used their tech (NeXT, SoundJam, CoverFlow, PA Semi) but they don't simply buy companies to keep them from making a product/technology.

That is something another large tech company does.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

What the hell has happened to Apple lately?! They seem to be determined to be the biggest jerks in the whole industry all of a sudden. Far from being the cool to be different underdogs, they're behaving as badly as Microsoft ever did.

I'm seriously considering ditching my iPhone and getting a Nexus One.

Go for it, one should get the product that suits their needs best. As for being the underdog, I suppose we could consider them as such when they entered the "well established and entrenched" handset market with apparently no hope at all, but they've been one of the largest most successful companies for so long that calling them an underdog isn't apt.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

So let me get this straight. Apple wants me to pay more for e-books, and not get any daily deals on music from Amazon? Careful Apple, eventually it might set in you're trying to screw me.

The publishers set the prices, troll.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    polvadispolvadis Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcatdaddy View Post

It's pure common sense to go for the lower price if the end product is the same regardless of the software it came from. Using Apple product doesn't mean you need to get music or anything else from them. But I can see how some would stick to the Apple brand all the way to their iCoffin.

I like iPhoto, but Apple was gonna charge me an arm and a leg to print a photo book, so I went to Kodak.com instead. Just shop around, simple.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    gfizgfiz Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

The publishers set the prices, troll.

Yep, soon they will...thanks to Apple. Thanks for supporting my point, and for the comical use of troll
  • Reply 36 of 55
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It sounds petty, but we don't know if it's actually true. Rumors can be manufactured, we don't know who these unnamed people are or how well these sites vet their sources.

Even if it is true, it does not really sound petty to me. If the record industry is giving Amazon promotional deals they are not offering to other resellers, then they do manipulate the market to some degree. In every other industry bigger resellers do get better offers (or at least identical ones). Apple is the number one music reseller and is forced to overcharge its customers, because they can't match pricing or get products later? This has nothing to do with Apple being like MS, they have every right to be annoyed about this kind of treatment. Where exactly would the music industry be today without iTunes saving their behinds?

Still, if this story is indeed true, then maybe an open letter by Jobs to the iTunes customers, advising them of them being discriminated by the RI, would have made them look better...
  • Reply 37 of 55
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gFiz View Post

Yep, soon they will...thanks to Apple. Thanks for supporting my point, and for the comical use of troll

Your lack of understanding is comical.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Same thing "large box" stores to to manufacturers, best buy, sears, wal-mart, they all pressure suppliers into prices and giving them 'special' pricing, Apple isn't even doing that actually. Hell wal-mart forces suppliers to change their packaging to match wal-marts needs and shelf spacing / planning, it's a simple fact of doing business, you want the big boys to sell your item you make concessions. In business school there was a white paper on wal-mart forcing Johnson and Johnson into totally changing their packaging, it cost a couple million dollars for J&J to change their packaging and printing (on said packages) just to keep selling their product in Wal-mart. just how it goes.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Even if it is true, it does not really sound petty to me. If the record industry is giving Amazon promotional deals they are not offering to other resellers, then they do manipulate the market to some degree. In every other industry bigger resellers do get better offers (or at least identical ones). Apple is the number one music reseller and is forced to overcharge its customers, because they can't match pricing or get products later? This has nothing to do with Apple being like MS, they have every right to be annoyed about this kind of treatment. Where exactly would the music industry be today without iTunes saving their behinds?

We don't know if Apple couldn't get the same deal.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

We don't know if Apple couldn't get the same deal.

That is true, but we do know that there are several titles costing $1.29 on iTunes that cost less on Amazon, especially with some big name legacy tracks. And yes, I did verify that just now. Almost every Pink Floyd track on iTunes is listed at $1.29 here and the very same titles are all 98 cents on Amazon... So, I do not know if Apple could get the same special deals, but for sure the RI is trying hard to move buyers from Apple elsewhere. I do not really expect Apple to like that.