John Travolta...will someone please explain him to me?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Um, no red-blooded American boy would see Grease. That movie is gayer than gay. Even my gay friends say that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You see it FOR ONJ.

I'm not sure there is anymore to that movie, anyway.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Hey I resent that remark! Grease may have

been too gay for your taste but look when it was made and what era it portrayed... they weren't playing 90's spoiled brats...

and I also thought he did an excellent job in Michael and Phenomenon...

Remember, "one mans trash is another mans treasure"

Mac Guru
  • Reply 23 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by xenu:

<strong>What keeps him going - powerful friends.

Namely, the cult of Scientology.

Nasty cult!</strong><hr></blockquote>

AH! Good point there. Here's a list of Scientologist freaks in Hollywood:

John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston

Tom Cruise and first wife Mimi Rodgers

Giovanni Ribisi

Juliette Lewis

Jenna Elfman...list goes on.

A lot of producers and directors too are part of this cult...so you see the signifigance?

"I'll scratch yer back, if you scratch mine..."
  • Reply 24 of 29
    If you know anything about cinema you know that it is the director that makes the movie not the actors; it is a plus when you have excellent actors to work with; you loose less time.

Still the writing is another part that is important. Travolta is a descent actor who knows how to choose movies that will make money. Do not blame him because people like to see unintelligent movies. And the crap today (imposed by the teenagers) is not really different from the crap othe 40's and 50's. In all the movies that come out every year only a few really can be called cinema.

What is ashamed he is stock with the crazy people of scientology just like Tom Cruise. Fame does not give discernment.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

[QB]Primary Colors[QB]<hr></blockquote>

I was on a plane to Europe and they were offering up those little DVD players.

The list of movies was airline style sucky, so I chose Primary Colors. I was completely surprised. It's not all that, but I thought it was completely watchable and he did a great job with the voice and the slime factor.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Oh come on, Travolta was GREAT in primary colors (from the back I thought that he was Clinton...), though yes, in general he is shit.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Pscates- John Travolta was never known as a great actor...but women loved him back in the days and he had sex appeal, that can take you pretty far(witness Robert Redford). That's the way Hollywood is though...overpay the marginal talent and underpay the rest.

My thoughts-

Julia Roberts- There is no comparison with Julia and Travolta. There are 1000's of Women in TV that look better than Julia but she just has a certain flair that stands out. I noticed it in Mystic Pizza. She also has a better eye for scripts(over Travolta)

Tom Cruise- Is a decent actor but let's face it...he's playing himself for the most part. Everyone knows Tom has an excitable personality so it's natural that they tone that down with roles where he's the f'n ladies man. Watching Magnolia restored my faith in Tom. He's not the greatest but he's not chopped liver either.

Kevin Spacey- His body of quality work is way too strong to be sunk by K-Pax and Austin P3. He's got American Beauty, Seven, The Usual Suspects, Swimming with the Sharks, LA Confidential, A Time to Kill and more under his belt. He's Golden. And I hear Pay it Forward isn't bad.

They guy I'm most worried about right now is Nic Cage...man his career is about to hit the bottom..he needs a good flick.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Cage's next movie is Windtalkers, a John Woo action flick. It doesn't look horrible...
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Pscates, its thats an easy one. scientoligy, that damn cult has him for life, and they are powerful and were the cause of battlefild earth(I can't believe forest whitaker was in that movie)