Apple's iPad expected to be part of 10.5M tablets shipped in 2010

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The buzz kickstarted by Apple with its long-awaited iPad is expected to produce a total of 10.5 million shipped tablet devices in 2010, representing a new and significant change for the PC market.

Gartner revealed Thursday its formal predictions for 2010, with the analysis firm expecting PC shipments to grow 20 percent by the end of the calendar year. A significant part of that growth will come from tablet PCs and next-generation tablet devices like the Apple iPad.

"User requirements are clearly segmenting, and the mini-notebook proved this point," said Ranjit Atwal, principal analyst at Gartner. "Vendors can no longer afford to just think in terms of traditional PC form factors or architectures. With the rise of Web-delivered applications, many users no longer need a traditional PC running a resident general-purpose operating system and fast x86 CPU to satisfy their computing needs."

He continued: "Apple's iPad is just one of many new devices coming to market that will change the entire PC ecosystem and overlap it with the mobile phone industry. This will create significantly more opportunities for PC vendors as well as significantly more threats."

On Wall Street, analyst opinions on initial iPad demand are varied, with predictions ranging from 1 million to 5 million in first-year sales. A recent report alleged that Apple will ship between 600,000 and 700,000 units at launch later this month. Suppliers said that Apple could deliver another million iPads in April.

The report follows a rumor from this week that the iPad is on track for an alleged sale date of March 26. The 3G-enabled versions of the iPad, which sell for an additional $130, will arrive a month later.

That same report suggested Apple store employees could begin receiving training on the new hardware starting March 10. It also stated that Apple intends to begin airing iPad commercials, which will emphasize the device's e-book capabilities, on TV starting March 15.

Gartner's forecast of 20 percent growth in 2010 is up from its prediction of 13.3 percent in December. The company expects home PC demand to accelerate and professional replacement system purchases to arise in the next few years.

"The PC industry will be overwhelmingly driven by mobile PCs, thanks to strong home growth in both emerging and mature markets," said George Shiffler, research director at Gartner. "Mini-notebooks are again forecast to boost mobile PC growth in 2010, but their contribution is expected to decline noticeably afterward, as they face growing competition from new ultra-low-voltage (ULV) ultraportables and next-generation tablets. Desk-based PC shipment growth will be minimal and limited to emerging markets."

And as devices such as laptops -- and now tablets -- become even more mobile and powerful, Gartner expects portable devices to drive 90 percent of PC growth over the next three years. In 2009, mobile PCs accounted for 55 percent of PC shipments, but by 2012, that number is expected to grow to nearly 70 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Apple iPad 10 million shipped vs others 0.5 million
  • Reply 2 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And I wouldn't bet against you
  • Reply 3 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So, is the iPad going to be "part of 10.5M tablets shipped in 2010" or "expected to produce a total of 10.5 million shipped tablet devices in 2010"? In other words, is the projected total for the industry 10.5M units?

Even 5 million units for a tablet would be extraordinary. What are the sales of tablets for the past decade?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Some call them tablates...Others call them slates. This is really a whole new platform or category

of computer which I like to refer to as tabslates. A tabslate is larger than a smart phone but smaller than a laptop. Over the next few years Apple will probably ship 10.5M of these devises

by themselves. The IPAD will be considered the "Mother Of All Tabslates".This is really the beginning of where "Home Computers" were supposed to be when the two Steve's worked together

Steve J. and Steve W.in the early garage days to bring this concept to the publiuc. At least this is how I see it.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Sounds like a lot to sell.

I wait for the iPad 3G-S with camera.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So, is the iPad going to be "part of 10.5M tablets shipped in 2010" or "expected to produce a total of 10.5 million shipped tablet devices in 2010"? In other words, is the projected total for the industry 10.5M units?

Even 5 million units for a tablet would be extraordinary. What are the sales of tablets for the past decade?

I don't think you can predict iPad sales based upon past tablet sales-- the devices are too different in usability, practicality and cost.

Possibly, better predictions could be made by examining sales of laptops, netbooks, eBook readers, iPods and portable game players.

The iPad can satisfy some needs better than any of these devices.

Then, there is the app store and the potential for new mobile content consumption such as newspapers, magazines, TV, movies...

According to one site, netbooks alone accounted for 33.3 million devices in 2009.

http://www.internetnews.com/stats/article.php/3855261

• Reply 7 of 32
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Sounds about right . . .
  • Reply 8 of 32
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

According to one site, notebooks alone accounted for 33.3 million devices in 2009.

http://www.internetnews.com/stats/article.php/3855261

I think you mean NETbooks.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Sounds like a lot to sell.

I wait for the iPad 3G-S with camera.

And Flash. And USB so you can get an air card and a data plan from a provider that has good coverage where you live and work.

I'm hitting the Kool Aid hard on this one and I'm not feeling it. I'll put up with some crippling in a device if it's ultra portable, but if I'm going to carry one of these around in a Man-Purse, I should be able to surf the whole internet IMHO.

As far as a book reader is concerned, does anyone know if Apple will secure deals with all publishers? Or is this going to be a case where I need a Kindle and a Sony Reader and the iPad because different companies have a different piece of the ebook pie?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I think you mean NETbooks.

Good catch... corrected!
  • Reply 11 of 32
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I think the analysts are way off (using the wrong variable to predict). I would bet a minimum of 5 million sold this year.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Watch the Penguin video. If tuxedoed birds can use this thing, how much more will it be for us?

This device should be a requirement from preschool to medical school!!!

The dual battery ophthalmoscope-that beautiful device that changed the world for physicians since the 20's-was just a start.

The iPad will allow people to augment every aspect of their lives. From toddler to centurgenarian.

Every school should buy boxes of these things! Forget the Banksters-give the money to the future producers of wealth and knowledge!

How many billion students are there in the world?

Comic relief:

(if we were truly mean, we'd restrict export to competitive countries like India and China.

Well I guess The Quants could use it to generate more huge profits for the Three Fedeteers too. You know-Benny da Bankster's boys: Larry da SUMmer, Bobby da Rube and Tiny Tim Geithner)
  • Reply 13 of 32
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This will be my one and only prediction for iPad sales figures.

2010 sales

Apple iPad 6.4 million.

All other Tablet Form Factor: 3 million
  • Reply 14 of 32
    lol ten and a half million iPads shipped in 2010? Wow....talk about building up unrealistic expectations only to be met by certain failure. There is simply no way Apple sells 10 million of these from March to December. They'll be lucky selling a quarter of that.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    chanochano Posts: 51member
    Wronggggg!

When you're wrong you're wrong.

And you are wrong.

April to December iPad sales: 11,592,764.

I'm buying 5, 2 of which are for me.

AAPL $300+.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This will be my one and only prediction for iPad sales figures.

2010 sales

Apple iPad 6.4 million.

All other Tablet Form Factor: 3 million

I've been saying six million in 2010 since the announcement. And that's just the beginning
  • Reply 17 of 32
    [QUOTE=Jerseymac;1583930]And Flash. And USB so you can get an air card and a data plan from a provider that has good coverage where you live and work.

My reading of the Apple info on the iPad is that as configured the iPad will accept a USB device or actually a USB cable.

From Apple's website:

"Connectivity

The 30-pin connector on the bottom of the iPad allows you to dock and charge it. It also lets you connect to iPad accessories like the Camera Connection Kit and the Keyboard Dock."

AND

"iPad Camera Connection Kit

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card."

So if you can connect a camera's USB cable why can't you connect other USB devices? Certainly you need software drivers to do this but it would seem that some 3rd party may be able to make a USB hub that would connect to the iPad through its 30-pin connector just like the Camera Connection Kit.

Sure this is a guess but I think it is a reasonable one.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

As far as a book reader is concerned, does anyone know if Apple will secure deals with all publishers? Or is this going to be a case where I need a Kindle and a Sony Reader and the iPad because different companies have a different piece of the ebook pie?

Well we already know you can play Amazon purchases on an iPhone right now with the Kindle app but that could change if Apple keeps dicking with Amazon's pricing. So if things stay as is, Amazon purchases should play.They real question remains whether Apple purchases play on other manufacturer's devices.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

lol ten and a half million iPads shipped in 2010? Wow....talk about building up unrealistic expectations only to be met by certain failure. There is simply no way Apple sells 10 million of these from March to December. They'll be lucky selling a quarter of that.

Wait until September when the 16Gb should be repriced correctly at $299-$329.

Then 10mil makes total sense. Don't say I didn't warn you.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Isn't the title of this article a little... stupid-obvious?

If Apple sells one iPad, it's part of the 10.5M expected units shipped...

I hate to be "that guy," but this is just another example in a long string of instances where AI titled their articles like a freshman journalism student.

-Clive