USB 3.0 on Mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
sorry, did a light search on this topic only..

was gonna pull the trigger and buy the iMac 27..

but then suddenly.. I thought i should ask the forum when do ppl think uSB 3.0 will appear on macs?

tia

should i wait?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It might be in the next revision, it might not. Only the decision makers at Apple know. I can tell you I'm certain they have systems with USB3 in their labs and they are working to get USB 3 support in the OS ASAP. If you absolutely need a machine now, get the iMac. If you can wait, then by all means wait, if you don't care about waiting a few months.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

sorry, did a light search on this topic only..

was gonna pull the trigger and buy the iMac 27..

Now looks like a good time to do it as they seemed to have corrected all of their technical issues. The machine is a voteable step forward over the last version.

Quote:

but then suddenly.. I thought i should ask the forum when do ppl think uSB 3.0 will appear on macs?

Intel will not have USB 3.0 support in their chipsets this year. They have already publicly said so, so this isn't a rumor. Beyond that you need to as if Apple will even bother to rush in support for the protocol. Yeah they will eventually get there but frankly I don't see it as a high priority at Apple because USB 3.0 isn't the advance that many think it is. In many ways the effort put into USB 3.0 is actually a step backwards.

I would not be surprised to see Intel and Apple push LightPeak technology in the future. While the initial release is only marginally better than current standards, the potential is to go much farther in the future. Basically USB 3.0 is the end of the road for cheap copper interconnects. Optical interconnects are the solution for the future.

Quote:

tia

should i wait?

For USB 3.0 NO. Repeating NO, don't wait for USB 3.0 if you need a computer that exploits it fully anytime soon.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hcho321hcho321 Posts: 14member
    Why buy imac today when you know there will be better one every year, right?

If you think like this, then you will never be able to get one for yourself. We are talking about apple here. SD card slot has been on just about every laptops and desktops and when did apple finally put it on their hardware? I think it was 2009 like late 2009?

So... if history repeats itself, then you will see USB 3.0 on imac and macbook pros in 2012 or even later than that.

Not many hardware support USB 3.0 yet and they are very pricey. I am 99% certain that USB 3.0 will not make it to any apple product this year or even next year. Unless you want to wait 2 years, then suit yourself.

You have a better chance of asking for HDMI port than USB 3.0 port.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'd rather have an eSata port than have USB 3.0.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I would not be surprised to see Intel and Apple push LightPeak technology in the future.

I would be slightly surprised if Apple were ever to support USB3 other than as a protocol running over LightPeak. In general, it does not look like 2010 will be the year of USB3.

If you want a 27" iMac, now would be a great time to buy.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I would be slightly surprised if Apple were ever to support USB3 other than as a protocol running over LightPeak. In general, it does not look like 2010 will be the year of USB3.

This I disagree with because of the industry behind USB 3. The problem is clearly that Intel is not ready yet. I don't see Apple going to USB 3 until it is built into whatever chipset they actually use in the future. Even then I would not get to hopeful that initial implementations would be all that is hoped.

The ecosystem built up around USB in general is not going to disappear overnight. Combine that with it's cheapness and I can see Apple supporting the interface for a very long time. I actually see LightPeak replacing a lot of other technologies first. For example Firewire, the joke of eSATA, Ethernet and some of the lesser interconnects.

Disk arrays could be a huge application for LightPeak. Imagine a Mini to disk array system for storage of content. Suddenly a Mini with HDMI or AppleTV starts to make good sense. That is just one potential use for light peak.

Quote:

If you want a 27" iMac, now would be a great time to buy.

This is certainly the case. It looks like they have firmed up whatever issues they initially had. More importantly the machine stands head and shoulders above the old one. Will Apple improve it and offfer a better device in the future - certainly. Just like my early 2008 MBP has been supplanted by a much better model so will the iMac be. That shouldn't stop anyone from making a purchase though if they need a computer.

It is the nature of the business. It is a given that new MBP are coming soon. It is further a given that they will be better machines than the current ones. How they will be better though is a mystery. That is what will be the CPU, GPU and I/O make up of the machines. Who knows maybe they will drop the silly internal optical drive.

There is a risk that something might come into being in a future model that you can't do without. That sucks but it is also a reality. It is also why you should also milk what you got for as long as possible.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 7
    wow.. Thanks for the inputs!!

thanks wizard69 for breaking it down for me. been really helpful! (and others too!)

iMac + iPad combo it is then... hope i can skip the laptop usage when the dual arrives.