iTunes is just swell...I'm digging it the most

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've completely worn it out today. I've had music going since about 10:30am and haven't heard the same song twice.

"Going Down to Liverpool" by The Bangles just finished and now "Good" by Better Than Ezra is blaring.

I forgot I had half of this crap and now I'm suddenly very grateful for all that time I spent with Napster a year ago.

It's Christmas, all is quiet and I got a fizzy Dr. Pepper with good little round cocktail ice cubes, my comfy flannel pants on and a bitchin' assortment of tunes randomly playing (here's Mr. Isaak, to be followed by Foghat and Snoop Dogg...)

And I'm off work tomorrow too. Don't have to go in until Thursday.

Life is good.

Well, it is tonight anyway.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I'm doing the same, i just threw a bunch of old songs that i haven't listened 2 in a while into a playlist and put it on random.

Now if only itunes didnt hog the cpu so very much.

• Reply 2 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>....It's Christmas, all is quiet and I got a fizzy Dr. Pepper with good little round cocktail ice cubes, my comfy flannel pants on and a bitchin' assortment of tunes randomly playing

And I'm off work tomorrow too. Don't have to go in until Thursday. Life is good. Well, it is tonight anyway.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

*lol* you crack me up with that Dr. Pepper stuff..."nectar of the Gods" I think you called it once. I think we all should've started a gift fund in your honor and sent you a couple 24 packs for the holidays. That'd get your through it all!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually my silly ex gave me a "gag gift" of a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper. She knows how much I like it.

This big running joke between us.

It was from that which I was drinking from last night. Got put to use right away!

• Reply 4 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I've been giving it a real workout too. I've had my iBook running it constantly for 4 days now.

I'm ripping most of my CD collection to MP3 right now, and making some playlists for my iPod.

I just keep it humming along all day, and everytime I hear the "deedaladoo!" I walk over and swap CDs. Too bad I can't automate this part of the process...

I've discovered some old tunes I haven't listened to for a long time. I'm usually listening to music as well throughout this, so I've listened to hundreds of songs by now...

Man I love my Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Reminds me of my last (and final) spring break vacation. I had my Ti hooked up to the stereo at my friends house while we lounged around the pool drinking all day.

Anyhow, I had a playlist that would last 2.5 days with no repeats. Needless to say it wasn't playing 24/7 and we had plenty of music for the entire week.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Using iTunes 2 to manage my ridiculously large mp3 collection has become one way I've swayed Windows-using friends over to the Mac. Apparently iTunes' ability to edit multiple ID3 tags is reason enough for a long-time PeeCee lUser to switch to the Mac. Who knew.

Anyway, I realized I had an mp3 collecting problem when I had four, count them, four 80 gig hard drives almost full.

Hi. My name is Ybot and I have an mp3 collecting problem.

Don't worry, I've cut back since I' switched to my new PowerBook. I now have only one 80gb external FireWire drive with all my cool tunes on there. I have 6 gigs of Frank Sinatra alone. It's sick, I know. But I use my laptop and external hard drive as my jukebox -- got it hooked into my stereo and I always rip every CD I buy. Quite handy.

Anyway, right now I have my playlist full of Fisher, her song Miseryland is quite addictive! I have it set on loop. If you have Sputnix and an Audiogalaxy client, I highly recommend you download it from <a href="http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/searches.php?SID=53bf2e990d19514d1fe3800e2628e24a&; searchType=0&searchStr=fisher+miseryland" target="_blank">here.</a>

Thanks to my new PowerBook's greater mhz and ram, iTunes visuals FINALLY run at tolerable levers. So I'm grooving out to some nice visualizations.

-Y

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Ybot ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Ybot:

<strong>Anyway, right now I have my playlist full of Fisher, her song Miseryland is quite addictive! I have it set on loop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I haven't listened to her in a long time. That is good stuff. "I Will Love You" is nice too. Right after her on the playlist is Five for Fighting's "Superman" and then a couple of tunes by Flukestarbucker. Just before is "Downhome" by Explosion Robinson. The unexpected combinations and contrasts I get with iTunes are always a pleasant surprise.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: roger_ramjet ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Wow Ybot, what do you rip your MP3s at? I have 1525 songs in my library right now (more on the hard drive, but I'm fiddling with libraries.... iPod and all) and it's taking up only 7.63 GB. How many freakin' Sinatra songs do you have?!?!

Of course I'm doing this at 160 kbps and you're probably doing it at 256 or 320...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    roger_ramjet &gt; I've just recently in the last year or so discovered Fisher--she has such an amazing voice! And you're right, "I Will Love You" is quite good.

murbot &gt; I rip all my CDs at 192, not too insane, but I hate being able to tell the audible difference between CDs and mp3s. So if I rip at 192 I find I rarely can hear the difference between an mp3 and the original on CD.

I'm a pretty big jazz fan and have an obscene amount of Sinatra, but I have even more Oscar Peterson. The nice thing is, I do listen to it all. I can go months without listening to the same thing twice, but there are a few albums I can't go long without listening to such as my Vince Guaraldi collection. He did all the Charlie Brown music (all, or some, I forget) and that infamous Charlie Brown Christmas album with the staple Christmas song: Greensleaves.

I do have some variety on my 80gb though. Some of the other artists I have in my playlist right now:

Â?Â*Yoko Kanno (She composes a lot for anime, video games and just on her own, amazing versatile artist. She can do jazz, c&w, classical and everything in between.)

Â?Â*Zap Mamma (African music, sooo good!)

Â?Â*Jean-Pierre Rampal (One of the best flutists ever who performs the most interesting range of music)

Â?Â*James Horner (I'm listening to the score to the movie: Patriot Games. One of my all-time favorite movie scores)

Â? Danny Elfman (I've got over 30 of his movie scores and my collection keeps growing. His dark comedic scores are so detailed and interesting to listen to. If you remember the movie Edward Scissorhands, he did that hauntingly beautiful score.)

So there's my Thursday playlist, such as it is. A weird mix of weird music. But I like it. Macs make the best stereos.

-Ybot