Netflix on my iPod touch/iPhone? Awesome, dude.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looks like it's going to happen, maybe soon. For me it can't happen soon enough!

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...-tv-streaming/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Great possibility, but I don't see it catching on...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Might be cool over WiFi (as planned), but the cell data link is just not fast enough -- and the cell spectrum doesn't have a whole lot of room left. Plus, extended use of WiFi or 3G make the iPhone's battery go away fast.

If Netflix were to offer a way to download the videos and then just connect to a key server, this would be more likely to work well on the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    But... but...

What about all those poor corporate automatons passing time in toilet stalls?

Sure, mock all you want, but they want netflix in their pocket.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    While my previous post was intended to be humorous, it is a real scenario to consider. And it isn't the only scenario in which pocket computers will be used to view video.

My saying this is ironic because I've always maintained that tiny screens don't offer a compelling video watching experience. But this really only addresses whether people would switch from their current size of screens in favor of watching on a tiny pocket computer. The answer is mostly no, but that doesn't mean that pocket computers won't be used for video. Rather, it means that new usage scenarios are where we will see viewing take place...

Subway or train commutes

Kids in the back seat of a car

Stuck in an airport

Sitting on an airplane

Waiting for friends to arrive at a rendevous point

Video voice mail

News on your coffee break

etc.

Not all of the above involve netflix, but it should be obvious that pocket computers will be used to watch video. It won't offer the home theater experience. But because we can't carry a home theater in our pocket, in some situations, tiny video is "compelling enough".