Apple inches Mac OS X 10.6.3 closer to release.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday distributed yet another beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to its developer community with no known issues, as the update to Snow Leopard moves closer to a public release.

Like numerous seeds before it, Friday's update was reportedly clear of issues. People familiar with the matter said it is known as Build 10D567, and is available as a 718MB download.

The last beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 arrived in late February, and it, like Friday's had no changes made to the software's enhancements checklist. The forthcoming update improves security and compatibility within QuickTime X, enhances the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic Pro suite, and improves compatibility with third-party printers.

Developers have reportedly been asked to focus their testing efforts on printing, Rosetta, iChat, QuickTime and graphics drivers.

The last major update to Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.2, came last November, when Apple addressed a guest account bug that could result in a user's account data being accidentally deleted. The update also added native support for the company's new multi-touch Magic Mouse.

Apple is also currently working on Safari 4.0.5, which reportedly fixes an issue with the browser's JavaScript engine. The update will also improve HTML5 video playback, offer quicker loading of the Top Sites panels, faster JavaScript performance, better performance on YouTube, and a smaller memory footprint.

Also in the works is QuickTime 7.66, a maintenance, security and performance release expected to be one of the final updates to QuickTime 7, and a significant maintenance update to the Final Cut Studio and Pro applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    How many Beta releases does this make for 10.6.3?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    I'm seriously wondering if they keep putting out these betas just to waste time until the MBP update comes.. which would hopefully indicate very soon because 2 issue free beta's wont hold out for much longer. Anyone else's thoughts?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I'm seriously wondering if they keep putting out these betas just to waste time until the MBP update comes.. which would hopefully indicate very soon because 2 issue free beta's wont hold out for much longer. Anyone else's thoughts?

I agree, seems weird to hold out for so long with issue free betas. Maybe tuesday we will see some new MBPs with the 10.6.3 update.

[edit]

Or, we will see a MBP update with the presentation of iOS 4.0 & SDK.

[/edit]
  • Reply 4 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I agree, seems weird to hold out for so long with issue free betas. Maybe tuesday we will see some new MBPs with the 10.6.3 update.

In the past, I think starting with Leopard, they had many Betas that were issue free. That is not to say they aren't finding issues after the fact, just that there are no known issues as of the Beta release to devs.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I don't know. It doesn't really matter if they have two or twenty. What matters is the quality of the released code.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Didn't you know?

OS X is never out of Beta, it's a constant work in progress.

As soon as it's out of Beta, it's dead and replaced with something else that's in Beta.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Didn't you know?

OS X is never out of Beta...

yeah, i may be going out on a limb here, but i'm guessing windoze has always been beta.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

yeah, i may be going out on a limb here, but i'm guessing windoze has always been beta.

Yeah Windows is so bad that is why Apple uses bootcamp as part of their sales pitch. Its also why 85% of all Apple users either use Windows on their Mac or also own a Windows system.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    leithalleithal Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Didn't you know?

OS X is never out of Beta, it's a constant work in progress.

As soon as it's out of Beta, it's dead and replaced with something else that's in Beta.

No, that's what Google does.

I was a Snow Leopard beta tester and I got 8 or 9 DVD's mailed to me. Plus multiple downloads.

You release Betas until you don't need to any more.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah Windows is so bad that is why Apple uses bootcamp as part of their sales pitch. Its also why 85% of all Apple users either use Windows on their Mac or also own a Windows system.

and 85% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

and 85% of statistics are made up on the spot.

And the other 15% are pulled out of a body orifice. We'll give you three guesses, but you're only going to need one.

• Reply 12 of 56
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Hurry up Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    No, don't hurry up.

Take your time, get it right.

A buggy update is more trouble than it's worth.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

Windows is always in alpha, big difference.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    leithalleithal Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hurry up Apple.

What's the hurry? I've got multiple machines on 10.6.2 and installed/upgraded to 10.6.0 the first week it was available. It's as stable as Leopard was, uses less disk space, and I have no complaints.

People always want things earlier - but releasing software on a specific date - named by some marketing guy - even if the software is not ready for prime time is dangerous.

Witness Windows XP... it was a security disaster.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well, I never heard of anything like this before and I doubt anyone else here has, either. Care to cite a source for this 85% figure?
  • Reply 17 of 56
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple on Friday distributed yet another beta of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to its developer community with no known issues, as the update to Snow Leopard moves closer to a public release

Will it close the gap with Windows?

Now that I have returned to the Mac after an 8 year period on Windows XP, I can't wait for a Mac OS X update, although I believe that it is scheduled to coincide with a Tuesday MacBook Pro refresh.

As a former Windows XP user, I miss the following Windows XP features on my 27 inch iMac with Mac OS 10.6.2:

- Using Cut & Paste in Finder windows as a way to move applications, files or folders from one folder to another;

- Using the Forward and Back buttons as a way to change slides while viewing .jpg slides. The function seems to be present on my iMac, but it is not functioning;

- Using the Move to the Higher Folder button in Finder windows as a way to move quickly to the folder containing the folder of the file I am using;

- Using the Delete button in Finder windows as a way to quickly delete files or folders;

- Copying folders with the knowledge that a folder containing 4 files will not erase a folder with the same name, but containing 100 files. Windows XP warns me that a folder with the same name already exists and that identical files will be replaced while other files will be added to the existing folder. On an individual file basis, Windows XP warns me that an older or newer file exists in the destination folder and ask me if I want to replace it with the file I am copying or moving;

- Using the left side of Finder windows to find a list of actions for the files or folders that I have selected (such as Copy to, Move to or Delete);

= Using a clock in the Dock because the upper right clock in the Menu Bar is too far and too small to be useful with a 27 inch monitor. The Dock clock should be optional and look like the Temperature Monitor Dock application (grayish-green digital watch background with large numbers) and display the date above the Dock application when mousing over. The OtherTime Dock application is not 64 bit Cocoa code, but 32 bit PowerPC code, and numbers are too small;

- Upgrading graphic drivers to the just released ATI Catalyst 10.1 drivers;

- Using 64 bit Windows applications, especially music applications. Because the open source MacFuse application used by third-party developers to enable Windows applications on Mac OS 10.6 is 32 bit only, I can't use any 64 bit Windows applications with Mac OS 10.6;

- Listening to lossless classical music and operas in Monkey's audio .ape, Free Lossless Audio Codec .flac, or WavPack .wv files. FLAC is an open source music codec recognized as a music compression standard by the European Union and Music Recording Companies, yet it is not supported by iTunes. WavPack is also open source, but again, it is not supported by iTunes. As for Monkey's Audio APE files, they were the first compressed lossless audio files available on the internet and are still the most prevalent (70%+ ?), yet they are not supported by iTunes.

If you love classical music and operas, lossless compression is the only way acceptable. iTunes 256 kbps compression doesn't cut it. The problem with Mac music software is that iTunes is just a storefront which doesn't really support lossless music "if it is not bought on iTunes".

As for third-party music software on the Mac, a small market share is made worst by the prevalence of iTunes which lead to little development for software like Play or Tag. The features and ease of use of software like dbPowerAMP, Tag&Rename or FlashRenamer just doesn't exist on the Mac. My solution: use 32 bit Windows applications on the Mac with Macindows enabling software, but is it acceptable for the long term?

Hopefully, Apple will address the weaknesses of iTunes and Mac OS 10.6 in the near future. There is a very large number of Windows users at work who might buy a Mac at home if only the Mac weaknesses were addressed. And with a $40 billion treasure chest, what is keeping Apple from hiring talented programmers and helping selected third-party developers to close the gap between Mac OS X and Windows 7?

If Apple doesn't wake up, dissatisfied Windows switchers will spread the word and prevent others from switching back to the Mac.

Complacency and self-satisfaction are the enemies of the Mac.

• Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Will it close the gap with Windows?

Now that I have returned to the Mac after an 8 year period on Windows XP, I can't wait for a Mac OS X update, although I believe that it is scheduled to coincide with a Tuesday MacBook Pro refresh.

As a former Windows XP user, I miss the following Windows XP features on my 27 inch iMac with Mac OS 10.6.2:

- Using Cut & Paste in Finder windows as a way to move applications, files or folders from one folder to another;

- Using the Forward and Back buttons as a way to change slides while viewing .jpg slides. The function seems to be present on my iMac, but it is not functioning;

- Using the Move to the Higher Folder button in Finder windows as a way to move quickly to the folder containing the folder of the file I am using;

- Using the Delete button in Finder windows as a way to quickly delete files or folders;

- Copying folders with the knowledge that a folder containing 4 files will not erase a folder with the same name, but containing 100 files. Windows XP warns me that a folder with the same name already exists and that identical files will be replaced while other files will be added to the existing folder. On an individual file basis, Windows XP warns me that an older or newer file exists in the destination folder and ask me if I want to replace it with the file I am copying or moving;

- Using the left side of Finder windows to find a list of actions for the files or folders that I have selected (such as Copy to, Move to or Delete);

= Using a clock in the Dock because the upper right clock in the Menu Bar is too far and too small to be useful with a 27 inch monitor. The Dock clock should be optional and look like the Temperature Monitor Dock application (grayish-green digital watch background with large numbers) and display the date above the Dock application when mousing over. The OtherTime Dock application is not 64 bit Cocoa code, but 32 bit PowerPC code, and numbers are too small;

If Apple doesn't wake up, dissatisfied Windows switchers will spread the word and prevent others from switching back to the Mac.

Complacency and self-satisfaction are the enemies of the Mac.

what the?... go back to Windows I say. \
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Well, I never heard of anything like this before and I doubt anyone else here has, either. Care to cite a source for this 85% figure?

Most Windows switchers use Windows at work or keep using their favorite Windows applications on a Mac either with a BootCamp partition and Windows OS, or the simpler and cheaper way provided by Mac applications like Macindows which enables 32 bit Windows applications to operate on a Mac with 90% of their Windows functionality.

I use Macindows with dbPowerAMP, Tag&Rename and Flash Renamer Windows applications because similar Mac applications like Play and Tag don't have the same features and ease of use.

Others will bring work at home and need to use the same Windows applications to complete office work at home.

The Mac market share would be cut in half if Windows applications could not be used on a Mac. Sorry, but that is the truth.

\\\
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by what the View Post

what the?... go back to Windows I say. \

This is the kind of arrogant and ignorant attitude that will drive down Mac sales. With a 4% world market share, I believe that Apple cannot miss a sale.

In my own case, I could have bought a core i5 HP computer with a 21 or 24 inch monitor for $500 or $800 less. Is that what I should have done for you to feel comfortable with your lie (that Mac OS X is so much better than Windows 7)?

By the way, my 27 inch iMac costs more than my 46 inch Sony Bravia digital TV from last year and I cannot watch TV on my iMac (which I could do with $1,500 Windows 7 HP or Dell computers). Should I have to pay that much for an iMac that cannot be used to watch TV?

Let's end ignorance. We can be happy, even proud, but we don't have to be arrogant and ignorant.