Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 141 of 335
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Nominated for best unintended irony award!

Sorry. I was trying to show how the use of a winky emoticon could show an attempt at humor. I should have known you would miss it...

Still, it might have helped if I had been clever enough to come up with Noorway!
  • Reply 142 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

The link to the Apple page on tethering was in response to someone wanting to know why anyone would want tethering in the first place (but since you can't read for shit I won't hold that against you - but for the above? Oh you're a total idiot.)

Not MY contract stupid - that was someone ELSE's quote and someone ELSE's contract. And the point was THEY signed up for something unlimited - and then THEY got hit over the head afterwards. Something that's never happened to you because you don't have one.

A head that is. You fucking troll.

Last edited by DoctorBenway; Today at 03:45 PM.. Reason: wow you are a fucking dumbshit - just - wow

Looks like the doctor is in-sane and it looks like you're getting awfully close to that ban hammer.
  • Reply 143 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Looks like the doctor is in-sane and it looks like you're getting awfully close to that ban hammer.

You attributed a quote from someone else's problem and went on a tirade about how "I" can't read contracts and call me insane.

Go away you fucking troll.
  • Reply 144 of 335
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Is this your first time on a moderated internet forum?
  • Reply 145 of 335
    Quote:

Not MY contract stupid - that was someone ELSE's quote and someone ELSE's contract. And the point was THEY signed up for something unlimited - and then THEY got hit over the head afterwards. ...

The contract ownership is less material than the ownership of the position you took, and seem to still hold, regarding the contractual details. And, wouldn't it be more accurate to state that "THEY" signed up for something they thought, or may have been led verbally to believe, was unlimited? However, the limitations are clearly delineated in the printed contractual terms, which should reasonably disabuse one of being contractually violated. I could imagine, by having stated their requirements prior to purchase, they may feel misled by the salesman and disappointed in themselves that they didn't read the actual terms.

I do think that solip's suggestion has merit if you maintain your same position for future contracts.
  • Reply 146 of 335
    @ DoctorBenway,

Honestly, you might want to edit your posts. It's one to come onto AI with a bunch of anti-Apple rhetoric, that get's tolerated, but the way you're acting is so far beyond that.
  • Reply 147 of 335
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Thank you AT&T and the rest of the utterly fucked up American GSM operators for shafting the rest of the world that is not as backwards.

No worries for me though.

Nokia N86 + JoikuSpot = wifi to fool my iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone into thinking that it is on a wifi connection.

A big fat finger to Steve Jobs....

ahha !!!

you do live in Finland !!

your accent gave you away !!

>>>

why so angry ??

americans love you !!!

peace on dude

• Reply 148 of 335
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:

@ DoctorBenway,

Honestly, you might want to edit your posts. It's one to come onto AI with a bunch of anti-Apple rhetoric, that get's tolerated, but the way you're acting is so far beyond that.

Certainly worse than tekstud ever was yet somehow he got banished to the land of misfit profiles because he hit a nerve with you- no?

Is AI run by a bunch of Apple employees and Steve Jobs cultists only? I ask of you , oh high priest of the Ansible who promises to go on vacation yet never does.
  • Reply 149 of 335
    Quote:

bingo !!
  • Reply 150 of 335
    Quote:

@ DoctorBenway,

Oh so I'm now "anti-apple" troll?

That must explain this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...13#post1583013

Right - I'M anti apple - just like I'M the one with the contract which I didn't read. But hey - put more words in my mouth. You are such a troll.
  • Reply 151 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Certainly worse than tekstud ever was yet somehow he got banished to the land of misfit profiles because he hit a nerve with you- no?

Is AI run by a bunch of Apple employees and Steve Jobs cultists only? I ask of you , oh high priest of the Ansible who promises to go on vacation yet never does.

Read the rules on forum conduct.
  • Reply 152 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post

Solipism, it is commonly accepted that Intenet service is a utility in the same sense that electricity, telephone, gas, water, or Cable TV are also utilities. AT&T, like any of these other utilities, provides you a service that should be device agnostic. There was a time when the Cable TV companies used to charge you an additional fee for each TV you had in your house, even though it didn't cost them any more money to provide service to those TVs. Thankfully, most companies have gotten away from those practices and just charge a standard fee for basic cable (although they can charge you per converter box). How would you feel if the electric company made you sign a contract for a certain amount of kWH per month but stipulated that the electricity they provided was only to be used to run your refrigerator, and if you wanted to hook up a lamp, you would have to sign up an additional contract for using that device?

As others have said countless times: data is data. How you choose to use it should be up to you. This is the basic tenet of net-neutrality. I see no difference in the argument that you should be able to use your data connection for any software service such as video streaming, voip, bittorrent, etc, and being able to choose what hardware device consumes the data that you pay for.

Consequently, if I pay AT&T for 5GB of data, I should be able to use those 5GB in the method of my choosing, be it for the iPhone, as well as my iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro or whatever through tethering.

yes

why not
  • Reply 153 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm happy to discuss that, but my iPhone tethers just fine so it's not an issue. I'd also be happy for the iPad to tether via bluetooth to a Nokia or whatever, just like my MBP can. The iPad seems to not offer that.

I think that there is a potentially huge market for this kind of setup.

A very basic phone (that works well as a phone) and offers a low-power wifi network for an iPad or similar. This seems an attractive combo for many people.

That would be cool. 2 SIMs (one for your phone, one for the iPad), and pay for a single 1GB data plan that is shared by both.

If I'm forced to use 2 different accounts, I'd go prepay just when required, and it'd be on a different network, as I might as well reduce the risk of no coverage. (In fact, Telstra has much better coverage than Voda or Optus which I use for my & my wife's iPhone), includes 850Mhz, and offers $150 for 4GB over 6 months, that might be the way to go.)

The thing is. In Europe, well Finland for sure, the operators are not afraid of competition and openly encourage users to use as much data as possible. I have been tethering my iPhone to my MBP daily for the last 6 months and have used about 5 to 6 gives a month. I got a twin card last month that allows me to have the same data access (real unlimited data) simultaneously on both cards all for ?9 a month. I run my MBP off of my Nokia while I allow other in my office to piggy-back off of my iPhone. Yup. You guys are getting screwed over. Damn it has to suck being in the States with a data capable phone and being screwed to the wall to use it.
  • Reply 154 of 335
    Quote:

That is a horrible argument. So they give you unlimited data usage and you think you are entitled to hook your phone up to any and all devices, make a hub for your neighborhood or school if you wish, using terabytes a month, despite what the contract you signed clearly stipulated all because you see a phone's data network as a mandatory public utility? For frak sakes people!

Apple is not required to recode the iPad OS to connect via Bluetooth for internet access, AT&T isn't required to allow phone tethering to other devices, and we aren't required to buy their products or use their services. Capitalism FTW!

i have internet at work

i pay 6o a month

any one of 7 diff devices i use works fine

at times i use 4 at the same time

clients of mine also use my network .

apple base station spreads out 150 ft or so and i use no password

that is the guys valid point , your answer was way over the top dude

i gather the insane doctor has you pissed

anyway mifi is the best way to go

peace dude

• Reply 155 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

1) Stop talking about yourself in the 3rd-person. We all know it's you.

2) You were rarely swearing on the board in succession. I gave him several heads up and suggested he should edit his profanities. We have kids on here and this isn't MR or Digg.

3) Thanks for bringing up my vacation... again. I'm not distress about missing it for a family emergency, so you can keep on mentioning it all you like.
  • Reply 156 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ahha !!!

you do live in Finland !!

your accent gave you away !!

>>>

why so angry ??

americans love you !!!

peace on dude

Are you challenged some way. Read my tagline.

Did I ever say I do not live in Finland? I work here, I am not FInnish, I am American. Are you really not getting this?

Solipsism explained this to you a while back and you still seem confused.
  • Reply 157 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

The thing is. In Europe, well Finland for sure, the operators are not afraid of competition and openly encourage users to use as much data as possible.

With a population of just a shade over 5 mil, it should be no problem.
  • Reply 158 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

With a population of just a shade over 5 mil, it should be no problem.

Your point being?

How about network provisioning and proportionality? Their network is built to sustain the population on a proportional basis. Your argument holds no water.

The Finns were smart not to waste a lot of time building cabled networks. There is 3G everywhere, and the coverage is damn good.

They are now building out wifi everywhere as well.

P.S. The population is about 5.2 to 5.3 million with most of that being in the Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa area.
  • Reply 159 of 335
    Quote:

Oh so I'm now "anti-apple" troll?

That must explain this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...13#post1583013

He obviously knows; 6 posts later, he congratulated your cited post (on that topic) with, "Best post ever!"
  • Reply 160 of 335
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

So they give you unlimited data usage and you think you are entitled to hook your phone up to any and all devices...

I think the problem is that no phone company can afford "limitless" downloads. So "unlimited" has quite a different meaning.

Sometimes it's about the device itself. If it was a phone with email and nothing else, they could offer unlimited and expect 100MB usage. So an unlimited plan might cost $5/mth because they know what the limit will really be. Of course, they'd be safer to call it an "unlimited email" plan, because then people wouldn't get confused.

An iPhone uses much less data than a laptop.

Sometimes it's about the network. Unlimited dialup is very limited. Unlimited GPRS is a lot less than unlimited 3G. That's why the unlimited data plan on the iPhone 3G was $10/mth more than the unlimited data plan on the GSM version of the iPhone.

In the end AT&T protects themselves with a "fair use" policy just in case their calculations are wrong

It's fair that in these scenarios it's not as simple to just tether into an unlimited plan. But in countries where you pay for just 150MB, it's irrelevant.