Apple posts surprise ad for iPad during the Oscars

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The ad was almost too fast. I would rather have John Ive talk about how magical the device is then a series of rapid pictures. Have any other tech companies ever shown an ad during the oscars?
  • Reply 42 of 73
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    After watching the iPad commercial video on Apple's site, who can honestly say the device is not a start of a whole new platform?

Some people think the iPad is just a larger iPod Touch, a accessory to a computer, it's not.

It's it's own standalone device or so will be as time progresses.

Welcome the new computing appliance called the iPad, will do most of what you need a regular computer for.

Also the iPad commercial video has had some poor Hollywood effects applied, most likely to avoid the glare of the reflective screen.

I like the scene where the guy turns the iPad with one hand on his lap (backdrop still apparently) and it magically stays in place.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I can't wait to buy an iPad.

Cool ad too, that featured a lot of iPad features.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You don't really understand camera angles, do you?

Imagine this shot, taken from the point of view of the person using the iPad with the camera pointing almost parallel to the floor.

It would look like the picture you posted.

Except...you know...if both hands are typing, it would slide down to your waist. Notice in the first picture one hand is holding the iPad. The second picture just makes no sense.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

True. But Pixar has been up for, and winning Oscars for many years running now. As has Disney, where SJ has been the largest shareholder since 2007.

Why this year? Perhaps to signal the fact that he is now aspiring to be a Hollywood 'player' with the iPad?

NO- Up was nominated for the Best Picture award.

The first animated feature nominated for Best Picture since Beauty and the Beast.

Enough with your trolling.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Saying that you're waiting for the iPad with Flash and 16:9 aspect ratio, really should be considered an intentional troll comment.

16:9 has no place on this device, never has, never will. To think otherwise is to not understand, but that isn't surprising in the least.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What's with the constant reposting of the same large images over and over? Forum etiquette is to a hyperlink to images over 640x480. If you are replying to an image that is just above you or not required for your post you can either delete it or make the image a hyperlink. Some do read this site on their iPhones, slow connections and/or metered usage accounts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

16:9 has no place on this device, never has, never will. To think otherwise is to not understand, but that isn't surprising in the least.

If anyone tested the size and aspect ratios of tablets, it's Apple. For those that just have to have 16:9 there will be surely be plenty coming out this year. Most netbooks are unfortunately 16:9, which IMO is part of their problem.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

That may not be comfortable, but it is definitely a position one could never even begin to attempt with a laptop, comfortable or not.

Unless I missed a posting, has anyone commented on the quick view of the iPad showing the New York Times web page and again with that mysterious empty square not being filled in lowewr left when all other images are... I guess FLASH strikes again...
  • Reply 49 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Noisy, self involved, narcissistic, and just to precious for words.

And I don't like the iPad ad, either.

Maybe after you get a contextual spell checker you can try that again!
  • Reply 50 of 73
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Speaking of self-involved, I didn't know that so many people watched TV commercials with such a critical eye for the tiniest of details. These are advertisements, folks. They are designed to drum up interest in a product, not form the basis of a Master's thesis.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What's with the constant reposting of the same large images over and over? Forum etiquette is to a hyperlink to images over 640x480. If you are replying to an image that is just above you or not required for your post you can either delete it or make the image a hyperlink. Some do read this site on their iPhones, slow connections and/or metered usage accounts.

If anyone tested the size and aspect ratios of tablets, it's Apple. For those that just have to have 16:9 there will be surely be plenty coming out this year. Most netbooks are unfortunately 16:9, which IMO is part of their problem.

The same could be applied to your 14 thousand posts.

On you other comment, 16:9 hasn't exactly hurt netbooks sales have they? People prefer the universal aspect ratio of the motion picture academy (16:9) and don't like black bars.

Virutally every video shot today is in this aspect ratio.

There.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I want one, but not this one. I think I can wait for the one that plays flash and has a 16:9 aspect ratio and will allow unfettered access to software.

No problem. It won't have an Apple logo on the back though... \
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

This is what they meant when they said it would be Magic. It floats on your lap to provide a proper typing angle! Amazing...

I really want an iPad. I want to get hands on time with it. My number 1 question is how will typing on it be? I imagine I'd end up using the real keyboard with it. What I'm having trouble with is how to get on without a mouse?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gbreed View Post

Apple has show new commercials at the Oscars for years

i know. i laughed at that headline. the ads were only a surprise to those that actually believed the RUMOR about march 12th

I for one expected an ad last night. my only disappointment was that they didn't play into the Oscars and movie thing. that would have been a great touch.

Quote:

I didn't like the ad. It was too hurried. It seemed like they felt they had to throw in in every iPad functionality possible in every microsecond they had.

agreed. they were going for a 'for everything you might want to do' feel when perhaps more focus, even a movie tie-in would have been better. possibly even included the Oscars app

Quote:

The music was mediocre too.

most of the ad music is. they don't want it to overpower the ad and they can't just pick any song due to rights issues. they like to go for lesser knowns and can get them cheap and easy cause of the press for the band that it brings

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I want one, but not this one. I think I can wait for the one that plays flash and has a 16:9 aspect ratio and will allow unfettered access to software.

so we'll see you, never. cause unless Adobe gets with it and does a proper ground up version of Flash for Mac, it won't be in the iphone OS.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Do we really need to keep reposting these large images?
    image: <hyperlink>
    ...is quite effective.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SierraRomeo View Post

On the high quality video @ apple.com, look around second 4, in the middle of the top bezel.

We very clearly see a spot.

Can it be a camera ?

Some may think it is an ambient light sensor, but given the position in the exact center, i highly doubt it...

Let the mayem begin

Mac.

--

Help make the internet better, faster, broader and slave free :

Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (youtube.com/html5) and on vimeo click the "Switch to HTML5 player" link below any video.

[CENTER]That 'spot' has always been there, and appears to be another case (like the current iPod Touch) of Apple apparently planning to implement a camera and pulling it at the last minute for some reason or another.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 57 of 73
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohjoey View Post

There will never be one that plays flash.

I think it's more like: There will never be one that will play flash, even though there already is one that can play flash (if Steve wanted it to).
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

I think it's more like: There will never be one that will play flash, even though there already is one that can play flash (if Steve wanted it to).

Which one? Where?

Adobe still hasn't made a 64-bit version of Flash for Mac OS X.

Adobe still hasn't made Flash utilize Core Animation for HW acceleration on Mac OS X, something they should have done back in 2006.

Adobe still hasn't released a viable version of Flash for all these "open" mobile platforms.

If they can't do these basic tasks what makes you think that Flash is all ready to go on the iPhone OS?
  • Reply 59 of 73
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

• Reply 60 of 73
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe to meet movie moguls to discuss content and to remind them he's one of them.

Don't forget Pixar Renderman was also used in the creation of movies such as Avatar and won an Oscar.

Quote:

True. But Pixar has been up for, and winning Oscars for many years running now. As has Disney, where SJ has been the largest shareholder since 2007.

Why this year? Perhaps to signal the fact that he is now aspiring to be a Hollywood 'player' with the iPad?