New Years Eve Attack?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Am I the only one worried about this...

Is Bin Laden even still alive? what do you think...

I will spend new years eve just like I did last year...

drunk in the basement... lol...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    I was just thinking about the same thing.

If ever there was a target, Times Square at midnight New Year's Eve is it. How easy would it be to kill thousands or tens of thousands in one shot? It gives me the creeps just thinking about it. :eek:

Me? Staying home like I always do.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    In my experience trying to bring up the subject... People dont want to talk about it... And I dont blame them...

Our news and lives have been filled with reminders of tragedy, horror and great loss ever since Sept11 and I think people are purposefully not willing to talk about it...

I Noticed that you dont see alot of "Dooms Day - End of the world" shows on either... People are just sick and tired of hearing about "Doom and Gloom"... Our sense of complacency has been ripped from us, I know security will be out in true "Full Force" this New Years Eve...

I hope nothing happens...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

• Reply 3 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I was actually more worried about seeing something along the lines of a half-dozen attacks on crowded malls (or even large churches) during the days leading up to, and including Christmas. Thankfully I was wrong. Figured they'd try to make it about religion, saying the infidels deserve to die in their places of worship, blah blah.

Personally, I don't know what to think about a Jan 1 / Dec 31 attack. Something like Times Square seems so obvious, but at the same time it's such a madhouse you wonder how the cops and FBI could ever stop something from happening. One thing's for sure...the skies over manhattan will be heavily patrolled by fighter jets. Any aircraft (thinking prop planes here or even a helicopter) entering over the restricted zone will be tanked in a hurry.

Hopefully these cock suckers will leave us be for the remainder of the holidays at least. All I know is, I wouldn't be too anxious to join at St. Patty's day parade or anything like that this year. Hopefully they will prefer to wait a year, thinking they'll lull us into a false sense of security...meanwhile our intrelligence efforts will be going full-tilt hopefully making sting operations and such more successful (while they sit and wait.for the right moment, etc.).

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 21
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I doubt that they will even allow any aircraft over the event... or if they do... there will be a huge off-limits perimeter from the event itself...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 21
    One thing about bin Laden and pals is that they come back if they miss the first time. Considering they tried to bomb us last year at that time then I would expect them to try again.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I've decided to try my best to stop wondering when and if the next attack will come.

Regardless, I think I'm going to stay home, order pizza or Chinese and, play Halo all night.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    There won't be any more attacks. At least until we stop worrying about the possibility of more attacks. Of course that won't stop that idiot Ashcroft and his new sidekick, Ridge, from making some ominous announcement on the basis of vaguer evidence than we have of a G5 coming in Jan about some Muslim religious holiday to worry about...

Whatever happened to the Anthrax investigation? It seems odd that they haven't figured out who was doing it. Any info?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>I've decided to try my best to stop wondering when and if the next attack will come.

Regardless, I think I'm going to stay home, order pizza or Chinese and, play Halo all night.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You lucky bastard...how is Halo, anyway? If I had a copy for the Mac I imagine I'd play it about 18 hours straight before actually getting up from my desk and tending to any necessary bodily functions or requirements (aside from breathing of course).
  • Reply 9 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>There won't be any more attacks. At least until we stop worrying about the possibility of more attacks. Of course that won't stop that idiot Ashcroft and his new sidekick, Ridge, from making some ominous announcement on the basis of vaguer evidence than we have of a G5 coming in Jan about some Muslim religious holiday to worry about...

Whatever happened to the Anthrax investigation? It seems odd that they haven't figured out who was doing it. Any info?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yea guy with a bomb in his shoe it definatly vague evidance.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    there will be no attack new year's eve. they will likely attempt to attack when we least expect it (9/11). they would get caught if they attempted it ona day we were expecting it.

the millenium time square new year's eve was scaring though. especially after you learn and hear of some the things that were going on without anyone knowing and who was caught. it really could have been bad.

little known tidbit: for the millenium party in times square the city had trailers lined up a few blocks away with body bags in case of an attack
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    No backpacks or bags allowed in times square.

The cops are gonna have radiation sensing devices (kinda like iPods).

Unfortunately, that won't stop a crazy guy with TNT under his coat or C4 in his shoe from taking out a few dozen people though...

<a href="http://www.nypost.com/seven/12272001/news/regionalnews/37585.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.nypost.com/seven/12272001/news/regionalnews/37585.htm</a>;
  • Reply 12 of 21
    [quote]You lucky bastard...how is Halo, anyway? If I had a copy for the Mac I imagine I'd play it about 18 hours straight before actually getting up from my desk and tending to any necessary bodily functions or requirements (aside from breathing of course). <hr></blockquote>

I take back all the bad things I've ever said about it. I regret worrying about it not lving up to the hype. It truly is one of the best games I've ever played. There are just so many good things in this game, it is hard to know where to start, but suffice to say I'm working on an X-Box mega-review, look for it tonight in Gen Discussion.
  • Reply 13 of 21

<strong>

Whatever happened to the Anthrax investigation? It seems odd that they haven't figured out who was doing it. Any info?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I heard they traced the origins of the anthrax to the letters sent to those congressmen...they were from a Government/Military Anthrax Research Facility in Utah (and one in Ohio).

They think a disgruntled scientist who was fired stole it and sent those letters all around.

That's the last I heard anything.

Nothing like home-grown anthrax...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Yea guy with a bomb in his shoe it definatly vague evidance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't recall hearing anything about a "heightened" threat prior to this attempt. I was referring the press conferences bobo and his friend gave a couple of times.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Thank heavens the guy with the shoe-bomb was such a moron! Imagine trying to detonate plastic explosive with a match. Sometimes these rag-heads are good for a laugh after all.

As for a new years attack, I'm not too worried. I would expect an attack on a major Christian holiday like Christmas or Easter. "Strike at the spriitual heart of the Great Satan" kind of thing.

I'm sure there will be more attacks, but these cockroaches are definitely on the way out. Good riddance, Earth will be a slightly lighter place without them.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by FERRO:

<strong>Am I the only one worried about this...Is Bin Laden even still alive? what do you think...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

</strong><hr></blockquote>

somewhere in the mountains of Baghran maybe, the conversation might be going something like this "dammit Omar, the next time I say let's go someplace like Argentina, let's GO someplace like Argentina!"

--

Happy New Year!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well 200 marines on the move to attack a compound. Any we all had a Happy New Year (Like no attacks)
  • Reply 18 of 21

<strong> Whatever happened to the Anthrax investigation? It seems odd that they haven't figured out who was doing it. Any info?</strong><hr></blockquote>

really odd. so much for.. whoa was that Diane Baker on Chicago Hope just now?... ok i'm back...profilers
  • Reply 19 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Looks like all is well in the world. Goodnight thread.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    janejane Posts: 68member
    You do not have to become paranoid to be careful in life. By the way this did not happen to you Ferro unless you were in the towers at the time.