FileMaker Pro 11 released with quicker, easier database creation

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
FileMaker Pro 11, the latest version of the Mac database software, was officially released Tuesday, packing in improved chart visuals, "on the fly" reporting, a new Quick Find capability, and a number of productivity tools that aim to make database creation simpler and quicker.

FileMaker Inc., a subsidiary of Apple, revealed the latest version, which it said delivers many new features for creating professional solutions quickly. FileMaker Pro 11 offers new ways to create, share and visualize databases.

Also released Tuesday were updates to the entire FileMaker product line, including FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, FileMaker Server 11, and FileMaker Server 11 Advanced.

"FileMaker Pro 11 is designed for solving real-world business problems, such as the need for interpreting business data," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, marketing and services, FileMaker, Inc. "With easy-to-use integrated charting, we bring dynamic visual reporting to FileMaker Pro 11 users. We also provide new tools to boost all users? productivity, helping novice and expert users alike build, share and publish better databases."

FileMaker Pro 11 is carries a U.S. suggested price of $299, or $179 upgrade, and FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced is $499, $299 upgrade. FileMaker Server 11 is $999, $599 upgrade, and FileMaker Server 11 Advanced is $2,999, $1,799 upgrade. Additional pricing and upgrade information, including pricing for licensed users of FileMaker 8 and 8.5 products, is available at www.filemaker.com.

The following are new features in FileMaker Pro 11, according to the developer.

FileMaker Charts and reports

FileMaker Pro 11 offers a selection of dynamic professional-quality charts (pie, bar, area, and line), allowing users to visualize, evaluate and report on data within a new or existing layout. For example, users can add a pie chart tab within a FileMaker Pro layout to see their sales depicted graphically any way they chose ? weekly, monthly, regionally and more.

FileMaker Charts can also be published to the web using FileMaker Pro Instant Web Publishing. FileMaker Pro 11 users can now easily create "on the fly" Quick Reports in a familiar spreadsheet-like format to easily set up subtotals and totals similar to pivot tables in spreadsheets. A new streamlined Layout/Report Assistant guides users through the process of setting up reports with grouped data.

Easier ways to build and use databases

FileMaker Pro 11 provides a variety of new tools to help boost productivity and enable users to build and use databases more easily. New FileMaker Pro 11 productivity features include:

Innovative Quick Find with iTunes style that searches across all fields within a layout

Inspector, a master tool palette that controls layout objects and properties in one convenient place

Object Badges to visually identify scripted fields in layouts with color-coded icons

A new Invoices Starter Solution, one of more than 30 built-in solutions, designed to track product and customer details and create, manage and print customized invoices for every order

An improved Quick Start Screen to help users create new databases, manage favorite files and find helpful resources

Text highlighting to emphasize key words or numbers in fields

For more experienced database developers, FileMaker Pro 11 offers script creation and editing enhancements, portal filtering that specifies related records based on calculations and layout folders that help organize layouts in folders via a simple drag-and-drop operation

New ways to collaborate

FileMaker Pro 11 also delivers innovative new ways to collaborate with its unique Snapshot Link that flags a specific set of records at a point in time, preserving the same layout, view and sort order. Any changes made to the file are automatically updated in the database.

The Snapshot Link file can be emailed to anyone who has FileMaker Pro 11 for easy collaboration. FileMaker Pro 11also introduces Recurring Import, a new feature that allows users to establish an automatic import from Excel, CSV or TAB, the perfect solution for insuring that data is always accurate within a FileMaker record.

FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced delivers greater customization and more

The new FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, which offers all of the features of FileMaker Pro 11 plus a suite of advanced development and customization tools, provides a new streamlined, intuitive interface for creating customized menus; the ability to copy, paste and import custom functions into databases without having to re-key information; and an Improved Script Debugger that lets users debug scripts attached to buttons and Custom Menus along with all the scripts on a layout.

New FileMaker Server 11 products give new insights into workgroup databases

New in FileMaker Server 11 is an Enhanced Statistics View that provides detailed visibility into FileMaker Pro clients to help diagnose potential issues.

The new Backup File Clone allows administrators to save an empty version of any database to help preserve the schema and architecture of a file while troubleshooting.

FileMaker Server 11 Advanced no longer limits the number of users that can simultaneously access files over the network and allows managers to securely assign access privileges to groups of users.

The last update to the database software came in early 2009, with Filmeaker 10 Pro dubbed as a "breakthrough" release featuring a dramatic redesign to the software's interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    It has been some time since I last used a database. I used 4th Dimension by then AciUS. Will give this a try.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    bawbaw Posts: 12member
    Versions 10 and now 11 of FileMaker Pro have been sold as full upgrades, when in fact the kinds of improvements they represent appear incremental at best. The graphic improvement features especially should have long ago been included in previous versions at no extra charge. The design and marketing strategy at this wholly-owned subsidiary of Apple seems to have degenerated into "what are the fewest possible number of 'new' features we have to add to justify a full upgrade price from each customer each year?" Sad. Very Microsoft-esque.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BAW View Post

Versions 10 and now 11 of FileMaker Pro have been sold as full upgrades, when in fact the kinds of improvements they represent appear incremental at best. The graphic improvement features especially should have long ago been included in previous versions at no extra charge. The design and marketing strategy at this wholly-owned subsidiary of Apple seems to have degenerated into "what are fewest possible number of 'new' features we have to add to justify a full upgrade price from each customer each year?" Sad. Very Microsoft-esque.

Filemaker has been doing this for years. There really should only have been 3 versions, the one that ended with v.3, the one that ended with v.6 and the current one. I like the tool, but stopped paying for it at version 6 because I got fed up with the pricing.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    It looks like they still use software activation for FMP11. Can anyone confirm the limits that FMP11 activation incurs? I've had too many bad experiences with it in the past (FMP9), which required internet activation.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Versions 10 and now 11 of FileMaker Pro have been sold as full upgrades, when in fact the kinds of improvements they represent appear incremental at best. The graphic improvement features especially should have long ago been included in previous versions at no extra charge. The design and marketing strategy at this wholly-owned subsidiary of Apple seems to have degenerated into "what are fewest possible number of 'new' features we have to add to justify a full upgrade price from each customer each year?" Sad. Very Microsoft-esque.

Don't you mean Adobe? Their so-called new versions are worthless. No one says you need to upgrade.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Still no integration with Address Book and iCal.

Address Book was introduced in Mac OS 10.2 "Jaguar" on August 23, 2002.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

I have been using FMP since Version 3....it is the weakest update since then.....I have had the pre release of this for a few weeks....it is NOT worth the update price. This should be called Version 10.1 or 10.2....NOT 11
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Versions 10 and now 11 of FileMaker Pro have been sold as full upgrades, when in fact the kinds of improvements they represent appear incremental at best.

Yeah, I agree. I spent a non-trivial sum to upgrade my department from version 9 to version 10 about a year ago (year and a half? whatever), and I didn't really feel like I got my money's worth.

I wonder how much of this is related to Sarbanes-Oxley? I'm not an accountant, but as I understand it, a company that releases major new functionality without charging for it runs into accounting issues. Something about reporting revenue earned this quarter from sales of something that won't be "completed" until next quarter. It might be literally impossible, for accounting reasons, for Filemaker to give away an update like this one.

On the other side of the coin, I wish they'd save up their new features and roll out a major update that's worth the cost and trouble to upgrade to.

Filemaker's kind of like Photoshop, in my opinion. It's a bit long in the tooth, but absolutely everybody uses it. (Note: May not actually be true. I'm speaking of my industry here.) The difference is that Filemaker is really very frustrating to use, and only holds on to its market dominance 'cause every alternative is even more of a pain.

So I guess Filemaker the company really isn't under much pressure to improve Filemaker the product. Everybody uses it, so why break a sweat working on it?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    While I think this is a great database program, the company doesn't work closely enough with Apple. At this point in it's age, it should be fully integrated with OS X.

It's still too expensive, and the only way to share a database over the web or local intranet is to purchase the Advanced version, which is overkill for a small office with only a handful of employees.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    I'm still waiting for the iPhone version though. Truly.

On upgrades:

I agree ... as once a beta tester they had simple things like a calendar picker and then pulled it out before golden master and you wait for the next version to fork over the cash to get a simple calendar picker that probably should of been in there earlier.

It truly is a great product overall and they'll get an order from me.

They had me at charts.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    kamuikamui Posts: 2member
    Just compare Filemaker 11 with Bento 3, the little brother of Filemaker:

Bento 3

Integraton of:

- Address book

- iCal

- Apple Mail

- iPhoto

- share with 5 users

+ iPhone app

Filemaker 11

nothing at all, except sharing, for which you have to buy Filemaker Advance

Also, coming from Access, I miss the easy connection to MS-Word.

I wonder if Filemaker spoke to any users at all before they developed Filemaker 11. The 'new' features are just incremental improvements, which should have come for free or just a small fee.

And I wonder, if Filemaker is really interested in developing Filemaker any further. For me it seems they just use Filemaker as a cash cow while all the development goes into Bento.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    It does look like a very weak update. But I think some of the posts regarding Filemaker's capabilities are misleading...you CAN publish a database to the web using the regular Pro version. The Advanced version just gives you more simultaneous users.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The last update to the database software came in early 2009, with Filmeaker 10 Pro...

I don't remember Filmeaker?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

I wonder how much of this is related to Sarbanes-Oxley? I'm not an accountant, but as I understand it, a company that releases major new functionality without charging for it runs into accounting issues. Something about reporting revenue earned this quarter from sales of something that won't be "completed" until next quarter. It might be literally impossible, for accounting reasons, for Filemaker to give away an update like this one.

It is definitely because of Sarbanes-Oxley. Bill Gates lobbied Congress to include special provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley that prohibit Apple from ever doing anything that doesn't shake a buck out of Apple customers' wallets.

All the other provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley were designed to allow everybody else to do anything they want, hence the collapse of our financial system, with rampant fraud anywhere and everywhere.

Darn you, Bill Gates!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregincolumbus View Post

I have been using FMP since Version 3....it is the weakest update since then.....I have had the pre release of this for a few weeks....it is NOT worth the update price. This should be called Version 10.1 or 10.2....NOT 11

William Porter clearly begs to differ

http://www.macworld.com/article/1469...lemaker11.html
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    No matter how intuitive they try to make it, I'll never use it again. I gave up on Filemaker a long time ago because it isn't really a database in the sense of MS Access, since it didn't do SQL queries and is useless in my opinion as a web accessible ODBC data source (I really hated their crazy server feature)
  • Reply 17 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

While I think this is a great database program, the company doesn't work closely enough with Apple...

Filemaker is owned by Apple. Despite that, they've released an app that doesn't support AddressBook and iCal, doesn't integrate directly with the iPhone and doesn't take advantage of Snow Leopard's modern OS capabilities.

If there ever was an Apple development team begging to be torn apart by Jobs, this would be it.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

William Porter clearly begs to differ

http://www.macworld.com/article/1469...lemaker11.html

And so do the experts*,†

Unreal the amount of BS posted here. Not many companies develop cross-platform applications and give you both the Mac and PC versions in all the updates. Great price. The new features will definitely save pros and anybody that knows what they are talking about a ton of work.

*033 FileMaker Pro 11 http://filemakertalk.com/matt-squared/10033

New Features http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWWMR...layer_embedded
  • Reply 19 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kamui View Post

Just compare Filemaker 11 with Bento 3, the little brother of Filemaker:

Bento 3

Integraton of:

- Address book

- iCal

- Apple Mail

- iPhoto

- share with 5 users

+ iPhone app

Filemaker 11

nothing at all, except sharing, for which you have to buy Filemaker Advance

Also, coming from Access, I miss the easy connection to MS-Word.

I wonder if Filemaker spoke to any users at all before they developed Filemaker 11. The 'new' features are just incremental improvements, which should have come for free or just a small fee.

And I wonder, if Filemaker is really interested in developing Filemaker any further. For me it seems they just use Filemaker as a cash cow while all the development goes into Bento.

I stopped updating FMPro at v4 lol and at least it was easy to develop custom server side databases with that using CDML then they dropped that. Now I use Bento quite a bit I admit. IMHO the new features they need and fast is a fully iPad supporting version of Bento to go with the new iWorks and iLife headed for iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Filemaker is owned by Apple. Despite that, they've released an app that doesn't support AddressBook and iCal, doesn't integrate directly with the iPhone and doesn't take advantage of Snow Leopard's modern OS capabilities.

If there ever was an Apple development team begging to be torn apart by Jobs, this would be it.

Agreed but is Clarris not pretty well independent although I do recall Apple still own it or part of it ... not too sure. But yes, fold it back in and make it part of iWorks!