Clues that suggest new Macbook Pros are coming this week!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Clue 1: An obvious one...the MBP shipments to bestbuy have slowed down for about 2 months now. you can find this info anywhere online. A friend of mine enlightened me that this is true...he works at bestbuy.

Clue 2: Another obvious one...the MBP's are past due. According to Macrumors.com the average update for the laptops are 200 days...we're at 219. i know that there's no "due date" but history should tell us that it's on its way.

Clue 3: Bestbuy.com has recently put up new i7 icons for MBP's. I doubt its a typo because the icon appears on all MBP's and doesn't on the $999 MB, which still keeps its core 2 icon. If that wasn't enough the MB Air and Mac Pro's also have new icons and they are also due for an update. Coincidence? You decide.

Clue 4: GDC!! Valve is probably going to drop the biggest news for Mac gamers ever. Unless you've been living under something heavy for the past week you know that Valve is probably going to announce Steam for the Mac...or at the very least Valve games. What better time for Apple to release their most powerful line of computer's (excluding Air) at the same time as this.

With the Ipad coming out in about a month, it leaves some room for MBP. All this GPU, Intel/Company issue's for the delay is fan speculation imo. Apple was just waiting for GDC. And if i'm wrong than call me stupid. But seriously for Apple this is it...or we'll be waiting until May before the Ipad hype finally dies. Sorry for the long post but what do you think of my claims?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 165
    Although I agree that the refresh is soon, none of this data is conclusive for the refresh to be this week. Ive been waiting since september, but i feel like apple has something up there sleeve with the new mbp's...if it was just a processor refresh, it woulda been sooner...im thinking something worth the wait, maybe some cutting edge technologies that would put them above the rest(again)---nvidia optimus, usb3.0, core i7, isight HD, intel widi....maybe not all of those but some combination...As for release date, unfortunately i think after the ipad
  • Reply 2 of 165
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I do have this feeling that this will be a significant update. Frankly I'm suspecting some surprises. The possibilites include a change to ATI GPUs, an Apple designed vector processor, Light Peak or other new tech. I can also see them dropping opitical drives, FireWire and maybe other hardware.

It just seems like the time is right for an innovative departure from the past.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 165
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I do have this feeling that this will be a significant update. Frankly I'm suspecting some surprises. The possibilites include a change to ATI GPUs, an Apple designed vector processor, Light Peak or other new tech. I can also see them dropping opitical drives, FireWire and maybe other hardware.

It just seems like the time is right for an innovative departure from the past.

Dave

There are rumors that Apple is designing a vector processor? What would be the point of that?
  • Reply 4 of 165
    If there are no updates by the 16th, I'm buying a current generation MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

Clue 1: An obvious one...the MBP shipments to bestbuy have slowed down for about 2 months now. you can find this info anywhere online. A friend of mine enlightened me that this is true...he works at bestbuy.

Clue 2: Another obvious one...the MBP's are past due. According to Macrumors.com the average update for the laptops are 200 days...we're at 219. i know that there's no "due date" but history should tell us that it's on its way.

Clue 3: Bestbuy.com has recently put up new i7 icons for MBP's. I doubt its a typo because the icon appears on all MBP's and doesn't on the $999 MB, which still keeps its core 2 icon. If that wasn't enough the MB Air and Mac Pro's also have new icons and they are also due for an update. Coincidence? You decide.

Clue 4: GDC!! Valve is probably going to drop the biggest news for Mac gamers ever. Unless you've been living under something heavy for the past week you know that Valve is probably going to announce Steam for the Mac...or at the very least Valve games. What better time for Apple to release their most powerful line of computer's (excluding Air) at the same time as this.

With the Ipad coming out in about a month, it leaves some room for MBP. All this GPU, Intel/Company issue's for the delay is fan speculation imo. Apple was just waiting for GDC. And if i'm wrong than call me stupid. But seriously for Apple this is it...or we'll be waiting until May before the Ipad hype finally dies. Sorry for the long post but what do you think of my claims?

They better not just have i7 on board video in the under $2000 laptops and the $600 - $800 mini.
  • Reply 6 of 165
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

If there are no updates by the 16th, I'm buying a current generation MBP.

That seals it.

Updates on the 17th.
  • Reply 7 of 165
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

That seals it.

Updates on the 17th.

Well, no updates today. That seals it. Hoping for...Next Tuesday!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 165
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I don't expect a refresh until June.
  • Reply 9 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

They better not just have i7 on board video in the under $2000 laptops and the $600 - $800 mini.

You mean the GMA4500HD? I'd be shocked if they didn't use Nvidia's Optimus autoswitching technology in the Macbook Pro. It does seem that the Macbooks will remain Core 2 Duo based for the time being, which is sort of disappointing. The Core i3 is a faster processor overall and is available on computers costing half as much.
  • Reply 10 of 165
    June is a long time from now....more likely after ipad releases we will see a macbook pro release. Optimus technology would be very useful for the mbp line
  • Reply 11 of 165
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    I'm more certain than ever now that they're waiting for Nvidia's official Fermi announcement.
  • Reply 12 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

I'm more certain than ever now that they're waiting for Nvidia's official Fermi announcement.

When is that going to happen?
  • Reply 13 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

When is that going to happen?

March 26 I guess? According to this site...http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18008/1/

So..if Apple is waiting for Fermi, I guess that points to an April release for new MBPs after all. Damnit. I wish I had gotten a new MBP in January but now that it's so close...For some reason whenever I am updating, Apple is too! This is getting tough.
  • Reply 14 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

March 26 I guess? According to this site...http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18008/1/

So..if Apple is waiting for Fermi, I guess that points to an April release for new MBPs after all. Damnit. I wish I had gotten a new MBP in January but now that it's so close...For some reason whenever I am updating, Apple is too! This is getting tough.

Fermi's paper launch is on March 26th. Based on some comments made from Valve regarding their work with Apple to bring Steam to the Mac, I suspect Apple has talking with Nvidia, and has been waiting for Fermi so it can deliver a *very* major graphics & OpenCL update to it's MBP and MP lines. It would be very nice to see Macs finally deliver performance-grade GPUs at across it's entire line.

I wonder if the iPod Touch's popularity as a gaming device suddenly made some of the Apple execs wake up and realize that yes, people actually like using their computers for games.

Really, Fermi is the only reason I can think of for Apple to be holding back at this point.
  • Reply 15 of 165
    Quote:

Fermi's paper launch is on March 26th. Based on some comments made from Valve regarding their work with Apple to bring Steam to the Mac, I suspect Apple has talking with Nvidia, and has been waiting for Fermi so it can deliver a *very* major graphics & OpenCL update to it's MBP and MP lines. It would be very nice to see Macs finally deliver performance-grade GPUs at across it's entire line.

I wonder if the iPod Touch's popularity as a gaming device suddenly made some of the Apple execs wake up and realize that yes, people actually like using their computers for games.

Really, Fermi is the only reason I can think of for Apple to be holding back at this point.

Hey so you are from VT, me too, cool. I hope to return someday...hehe where I am it is too flat. Anyway I guess the Fermi thing makes sense and would be awesome if true. I guess we'll see in a few weeks. Are you waiting on a new MBP? I am...and I hope it's 3/16...
  • Reply 16 of 165
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

I've been reading a lot about the new Fermi cards, and I'm not impressed at all - the GTX 480 (the high-end card), performs similarly to a 6-month old Radeon HD 5870 from AMD/ATI. And that's not including the dual-GPU 5970 (two 5870's on a single card), that would stomp all over that.

6 months is a long ass time in the market.

Quote:

Getting back to the selective showings of the GTX480, there is a good reason for it. The performance is too close to the HD5870, so Nvidia will be forced to sell it at HD5870 prices, basically $400. The GPU isn't a money maker at this price point, and at best, Nvidia can price it between the $400 HD5870 and the $600 HD5970. The only tools left to deal with this issue are PR and marketing as the chip is currently in production.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/...gtx480-scores/

That semiaccurate article basically points out how Nvidia is SOL right now, and the only thing Fermi excels in, is with tessellation, but if the card is hot as hell, expensive, and doesn't scale well, it's going to be a tough sell.
  • Reply 17 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I've been reading a lot about the new Fermi cards, and I'm not impressed at all - the GTX 480 (the high-end card), performs similarly to a 6-month old Radeon HD 5870 from AMD/ATI. And that's not including the dual-GPU 5970 (two 5870's on a single card), that would stomp all over that.

6 months is a long ass time in the market.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/...gtx480-scores/

That semiaccurate article basically points out how Nvidia is SOL right now, and the only thing Fermi excels in, is with tessellation, but if the card is hot as hell, expensive, and doesn't scale well, it's going to be a tough sell.

The Desktop GTX 480 is about on par with the 5870- but where things might get interesting is seeing how the mid-high range mobile variants (not the most powerful mobile cards, but the ones Apple typically goes with) will stack up against ATI's counterparts. Throw in Optimus and you might have a winner for the mobile performance graphics space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Hey so you are from VT, me too, cool. I hope to return someday...hehe where I am it is too flat. Anyway I guess the Fermi thing makes sense and would be awesome if true. I guess we'll see in a few weeks. Are you waiting on a new MBP? I am...and I hope it's 3/16...

Heh, yeah. I'm up in the middle of Maple Syrup country. And I'm not talking about that Canadian junk.

I'm planning to upgrade from my aging MBP to a new one sometime over the summer this year. I'd like it if Apple started offering modern performance graphics (not a two-year-old 9600M) on the MBP before then.
  • Reply 18 of 165
    starting to feel almost like a certainty that the refresh wont happen until late april-early june
  • Reply 19 of 165
    Anyone read this? Interesting indeed...

http://www.nybreakingnews.com/news/I...or-1268225057/

My 6-year old PowerBook G4 is on its last legs and I am anxious to see the MacBook Pro update finally materialize.

-Daniel
  • Reply 20 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danny_6285 View Post

Anyone read this? Interesting indeed...

http://www.nybreakingnews.com/news/I...or-1268225057/

That looks like a rehash of January's news:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...cbook_pro.html

...and we've all been strung along since then.

It's simple, really: I'll buy a new MacBook Pro whenever Apple gets 'round to updating them.