Sun former CEO: Steve Jobs threatened to sue us over patents too

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The oddest thing about his post is the weird ass logic that the popularity of Office for Mac means that MS has put extensive resources into the Mac office suite development.



    The truth is Office for Mac is one of the handful of areas MS makes money, but MS has used Office for Mac as leverage against Apple by stalling updates and features.



    Check your facts before spewing like Jobs does.



    http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...ivision-2010-2



    Article for the lazy

    Quote:

    Microsoft is the largest, most profitable software company in the world.



    And its profits are still being generated by the same engines that have driven Microsoft for years: Office, Windows, and its server division. (Meanwhile, its entertainment and devices division is only recently profitable again, and its online division is a money pit.)



    This is why Google is increasingly focusing on disrupting Microsoft's core businesses, including its Google Docs rival to Office; its Chrome OS rival to Windows; and now Google Buzz, an add-on to Gmail that some have compared most closely to Sharepoint, one of Microsoft's enterprise tools.



  • Reply 22 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Check your facts before spewing like Jobs does.



    http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...ivision-2010-2



    Article for the lazy



    Speaking of being lazy (or is just incompetence?), nothing I wrote negates that article which I've posted to AI on several occasions. Reading comprehension isn't a crime, but it sure is fraking annoying.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Check your facts before spewing like Jobs does.



    http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...ivision-2010-2



    Article for the lazy



    Let's look at that profit graph shall we?



    This biggest profit is their Windows. Why you ask? Well let's see "NO COMPETITION!" being that Apple is only 2% of the OS market, every computer automatically comes with Windows, not only that but Microsoft gets a paycheck even if there isn't any computers sold. Dell and HP prepay Microsoft for the already pre-installed software. Also the damn market forces Microsoft Office in a Microsoft Monopoly for every computer there is a trial version. Gee... I wonder why they are making money?



    Idiot
  • Reply 24 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Speaking of lazy (or is just incompetence?) nothing I wrote negates that article I've posted to AI on several occasions. Reading comprehension isn't a crime, but it sure is fraking annoying.



    Didn't Steve Jobs say "People Don't Read Anymore"?



    By the way, your posting



    Quote:

    The truth is Office for Mac is one of the handful of areas MS makes money, but MS has used Office for Mac as leverage against Apple by stalling updates and features



    I wouldn't say that Apple's 10 percent PC market share does anything more than put a smile on Steve Balmer's face. That's just 3/4 of Mac users saying they can't live without MS.



    That's not exactly OR ANYTHING CLOSE to Mac is one of the handful of areas (divisions for the big boys). that make money.



    Grow up and quit putting smiley faces in your postings, it's infantile.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    The end of that blog post confuses me. Schwartz seems to be saying that the standard practice in business is for a company that gets sued for infringement to cook up counter-allegations of infringement against the plaintiff, and thus force a settlement.



    But then he cites an open-and-shut case in which Sun LOST a patent lawsuit, apparently because Kodak (those selfish bastards) hadn't actually infringed on any Sun patents. The case went to court, Kodak won all the way around, then Sun quickly agreed to license whatever-it-was from Kodak … which was all they needed to do in the first place.



    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me this blog post boils down to "I'm really bad at running a company, please point and laugh at me."
  • Reply 26 of 88
    This is the dumbest thread ever...



    Microsoft's profit Monopoly.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Didn't Steve Jobs say "People Don't Read Anymore"?



    By the way, your posting







    I wouldn't say that Apple's 10 percent PC market share does anything more than put a smile on Steve Balmer's face. That's just 3/4 of Mac users saying they can't live without MS.



    That's not exactly OR ANYTHING CLOSE to Mac is one of the handful of areas (divisions for the big boys). that make money.



    Grow up and quit putting smiley faces in your postings, it's infantile.



    Put away your arrogance, it's infantile.



    Give it some time, as people are looking to alternatives and shelling out more money up front (read that as record Mac sales) they are also learning that they do not need Microsoft.

    I think MS is starting to realize the truth as well, and Office 2011 will be closer to feature parity. If they didn't see the writing on the wall, they would surely have crippled the next version as well.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    If Microsoft Office is that Bad then why do 3/4 of Mac users have it on their Mac.



    It puts a smile on Steve Balmer's face with every sale.



    http://www.macworld.com/article/1380...se_office.html



    And now that it's Cocoa I imagine that will only go up.



    Besides, Microsoft is Apple's new BFF to fight off Google dominance in every market.

    Good luck with Bing!



    The reason Mac users use MS Office is because cross platform compatibility and iWork is a Mac only software. No one is undermining MS Office success. MS Office for Mac lacks many features available on Windows version (VBA for one). Furthermore, there are some compatibility issues between the two.



    I am not talking simple documents and spreadsheets here. I am currently working on my dissertation on my MBP using Office for Windows via Parallels. One of the reasons I am doing so is because the Word template the department provided me didn't work well on Office for Mac (2004 and 2008). Fortunately for me, all MS software (Windows XP to 7, Office (Mac & Windows) .. etc) are provided free of charge for ALL students in our university.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Plus the thought of [having lunch with Steve Jobs] makes me lose my appetite.....



    How can you have such strong reactions to someone you don't know? What exactly has he done to you to make you feel so vehemently repulsed?



    It seems kind of unnatural, man.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    Haha, haha, project looking glass, their attempt at making 3d desktop effects to one up microsoft, when OSX already had it.



    Quote:

    I wouldn't have lunch with Steve Jobs. He'd probably tell me he forgot his wallet and make me pay for it. Plus the thought of it makes me lose my appetite (much like your postings).



    Steve Jobs probably can eat for free at many places, so him not having a wallet isn't a problem



    Btw, ad hominem attacks are quite childish, not
  • Reply 31 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    The reason Mac users use MS Office is because cross platform compatibility and iWork is a Mac only software. No one is undermining MS Office success. MS Office for Mac lacks many features available on Windows version (VBA for one). Furthermore, there are some compatibility issues between the two.



    I am not talking simple documents and spreadsheets here. I am currently working on my dissertation on my MBP using Office for Windows via Parallels. One of the reasons I am doing so is because the Word template the department provided me didn't work well on Office for Mac (2004 and 2008). Fortunately for me, all MS software (Windows XP to 7, Office (Mac & Windows) .. etc) are provided free of charge for ALL students in our university.



    So, let me get this straight (if I can read through the BS)...



    You not only run MS Office but MS OS XP or 7. That's putting even a bigger smile on Steve Balmer's face. You can't make it in the real world without Microsoft.



    I'll call BS on All MS software is Free for you. Where do you attend your education?



    Not even MIT/Government gets MS software for free. It was either included in your tuition or you are not telling the truth.



    Care to supply the school, link for free software for students and date purchased?



    Bill Gates gives Billions to charity but not to higher education. That is unless you're graduating grade school, it may be possible.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    Haha, haha, project looking glass, their attempt at making 3d desktop effects to one up microsoft, when OSX already had it.







    Steve Jobs probably can eat for free at many places, so him not having a wallet isn't a problem



    Btw, ad hominem attacks are quite childish, not



    And I'll bet he takes advantage of it just like he does parking in handicap parking spaces.



    Parking in Handicap Parking Spaces is about as low and uncaring as they come. Steve Jobs does it with a smile on his face. Pitiful.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I see your shift has started.



    Brilliant!



    These guys do conjure up an image of sad, pasty faced workers... clocking in for yet another 8 hour shift on a seemingly endless and repetitive production line.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    So, let me get this straight (if I can read through the BS)...



    You not only run MS Office but MS OS XP or 7. That's putting even a bigger smile on Steve Balmer's face. You can't make it in the real world without Microsoft.



    I'll call BS on All MS software is Free for you. Where do you attend your education?



    Not even MIT/Government gets MS software for free. It was either included in your tuition or you are not telling the truth.



    Care to supply the school, link for free software for students and date purchased?



    Bill Gates gives Billions to charity but not to higher education. That is unless you're graduating grade school, it may be possible.



    Here is the link. It seems you really don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you stop posting BS.



    Jackass.



    PS: You might need to look up the definition of dissertation as well.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post


    Brilliant!



    These guys do conjure up an image of sad, pasty faced workers... clocking in for yet another 8 hour shift on a seemingly endless and repetitive production line.



    And this is bad because why?...



    If they are putting in 8 hours a day and feeding their family and that is all the education they have then more power to them for having a job.



    Is this so low on your elitist list that it somehow disgusts you?
  • Reply 36 of 88
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    It doesn't matter to Microsoft. It's still cash in their pockets.



    I wouldn't have lunch with Steve Jobs. He'd probably tell me he forgot his wallet and make me pay for it. Plus the thought of it makes me lose my appetite (much like your postings).



    Angus, I have the opening paragraph for your memoirs just in case you need the help:



    I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers

    Consultin' with the rain.

    And my head I'd be scratchin' while

    my thoughts were busy hatchin'

    If I only had a brain.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Here is the link. It seems you really don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you stop posting BS.



    Jackass.



    PS: You might need to look up the definition of dissertation as well.



    It's included in your tuition and as a part of OKY state funding. That is unless you're under a Federal Lower Income Grant, then it's just the government.



    ?Student Technology Products. Students are eligible for discounts on Microsoft, Dell, Apple, and Cingular products and services through OSU. For information on how to obtain the OSU discount on Dell or Apple products, as well as information on Cingular cellular plans for students, please visit http://it.okstate.edu/students/. Virus protection software and Microsoft products, including Windows and Mac versions, are available to download through OSU's Microsoft Campus Agreement at the software distribution center Web site at https://app.it.okstate.edu/sdc/login.php. Directions for software pick-up or delivery also are available on the software distribution center Web site.



    ?Additional Information. For a complete listing of IT resources, please visit http://it.okstate.edu/rc. For additional information about the Information Technology department, please visit http://it.okstate.edu.



    Nothing is Free.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    ......If they are putting in 8 hours a day and feeding their family and that is all the education they have then more power to them for having a job.

    .......



    My apologies. I did not realise that, by posting comments here, you were helping to keep your family clothed and fed.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post


    Angus, I have the opening paragraph for your memoirs just in case you need the help:



    I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers

    Consultin' with the rain.

    And my head I'd be scratchin' while

    my thoughts were busy hatchin'

    If I only had a brain.



    And I could be on Acid or Crack and come up with something as disturbing. But I chose not to do drugs.



    I'd suggest the same "Cranky".
  • Reply 40 of 88
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    And I could be on Acid or Crack and come up with something as disturbing. But I chose not to do drugs.



    I'd suggest the same "Cranky".



    It's from 'The Wizard of Oz', oh wise one. Go upstairs and ask your mother about it, she might have a copy on VHS you could watch.
Sign In or Register to comment.