Sun former CEO: Steve Jobs threatened to sue us over patents too

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

So, let me get this straight (if I can read through the BS)...

You not only run MS Office but MS OS XP or 7. That's putting even a bigger smile on Steve Balmer's face. You can't make it in the real world without Microsoft.

I'll call BS on All MS software is Free for you. Where do you attend your education?

Not even MIT/Government gets MS software for free. It was either included in your tuition or you are not telling the truth.

Care to supply the school, link for free software for students and date purchased?

Bill Gates gives Billions to charity but not to higher education. That is unless you're graduating grade school, it may be possible.

Why would he have any reason to make up a story that the school gives the software at no cost to the student? This is not the issue and your comments are out of line. What BG gives or doesn't give to higher education has nothing to do with MS as BG is no longer associated with MS. Your comments about NasserAE graduating grade school just shows your ignorance--working on a dissertation is not something grade schools require-- more likely working on an advanced degree at a university--but even my kids when they were in grade school knew that--duh!
  • Reply 62 of 88
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Here is the link. It seems you really don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you stop posting BS.

Jackass.

PS: You might need to look up the definition of dissertation as well.

Good reply--again all the best on your dissertation. Does you research involve researching how some people can make complete JA of themselves in forums like this?
  • Reply 63 of 88
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

It's no wonder that Mac users have a bad reputation on the Internet.

Oh no!
  • Reply 64 of 88
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Good reply--again all the best on your dissertation. Does you research involve researching how some people can make complete JA of themselves in forums like this?

It is an interesting subject
  • Reply 65 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

CEOs calling one another to inform them they are infringing on their IP instead of using lawyers as intermediaries sounds awfully gentlemanly.

Good point.

I was unaware that Bill Gates went so far as to say he "wouldn't piss on it" when referring to Microsoft not developing Office for the Next Computer. Those days, so long ago, but have not changed. Today we have Steve Ballmer famously saying "I'm going to fucking kill Google" just a few years ago. The tech industry is certainly not shy about making great drama.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Why would he have any reason to make up a story that the school gives the software at no cost to the student? This is not the issue and your comments are out of line. What BG gives or doesn't give to higher education has nothing to do with MS as BG is no longer associated with MS. Your comments about NasserAE graduating grade school just shows your ignorance--working on a dissertation is not something grade schools require-- more likely working on an advanced degree at a university--but even my kids when they were in grade school knew that--duh!

It doesn't take a 6th grade education to call BS on his posting. MS doesn't give software away for free. It's being paid for by him in some form.

As for my education, I'm more than satisfied with my masters yet I'm still taking night courses to achieve my next goal.

Common sense seems to be lacking with this forum. The point I've made several times is that if the Mac OS and software is so great then why do most mac users need Microsoft.

Steve Jobs needs Steve Balmer and Microsoft.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're a fool. Steve's never cheap at lunch and he always buys. And if he's having lunch with you he values you more than you know. Hell, just go to 1 Infinite Loop during the day and say hello to whoever you want.

Of course it helps if people know you and you work there. Otherwise, you're just a stalker.

None of these myths about Steve are remotely true, with one exception. If you're in a meeting with the man, don't waste his time. He doesn't waste time with fans who want to work at Apple, just to giggle about the history. He wants talent and people with ideas.

I always found it amazing how people take offense to straight talkers, who are bluntly objective and aren't there to cultivate relationships as if a CEO and staff are going to be best friends.

Good points. People need to grow up.

+10 for this post.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

It doesn't take a 6th grade education to call BS on his posting. MS doesn't give software away for free. It's being paid for by him in some form.

As for my education, I'm more than satisfied with my masters yet I'm still taking night courses to achieve my next goal.

Common sense seems to be lacking with this forum. The point I've made several times is that if the Mac OS and software is so great then why do most mac users need Microsoft.

As a supplement to an already great user experience.

Since Microsoft doesn't like anyone to play in the sandbox with them, and Apple lets ANYONE play in their sandbox, us Apple users just want to make it easier to transfer Office documents between the two platforms......until all of you Windows users have a moment of clarity and finally switch to Mac!
  • Reply 69 of 88
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

The point I've made several times is that if the Mac OS and software is so great then why do most mac users need Microsoft.

Jesus Christ is THAT all your point is?

OK Mac users need Office because some places on the internet actually require them. Ok? Now will you please go away and finish those extra courses that you are doing and stop wasting everyone's time.
  • Reply 70 of 88
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Sun Management didn't need Apple to destroy Sun. They did it themselves.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    ...This guy should make up his mind: Wear a T-shirt or cut the pony-tail.

• Reply 72 of 88
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:

If Microsoft Office is that Bad then why do 3/4 of Mac users have it on their Mac.

It puts a smile on Steve Balmer's face with every sale.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1380...se_office.html

And now that it's Cocoa I imagine that will only go up.

Besides, Microsoft is Apple's new BFF to fight off Google dominance in every market.

Good luck with Bing!

I've got it and I hate it. It isn't even compatible with the Windows version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Looks like Sun did everything wrong.

I think we've heard enough from Mr. Schwartz and his now-defunct company.

Schwartz looted Sun for all its worth. Sun was once a market leader.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    I think the "mininum amount of work" comment in the article was not exactly fair. I recall that Mac Office X was the first major software package released on OS X and was critical to validating the platform and creating momentum for the transition. They also implemented little genie effects and the like, so they certainly were exploring OS X technology. If they had done a cocoa port, it could have been a year or two more to wait.

As for VB, they couldn't get it ready in time for 2008 because the switch to Intel forced them to dig into a poorly-understood spaghetti codebase full of assembler and other treats. They started working on the new VB engine before releasing 2008 and we'll have it back in 2011. Except for the lack of Access, Office 2011 looks like it will bring Office on the Mac close to parity with Windows, but we'll see how it plays out.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Dude, your (sic) so full of shit. STFU. No wait, I'll add you to my ignore list.

Good idea. Angus Young is one of those sad little posters who was probably bullied as a child, and feels the need to lash out at others later in life as a result.

Don't blame him, he can't help it. At least now he gets Steve Ballmers shilling for all his hard work trolling Apple forums. After all, no-one but a complete imbecile would come here and post the crap he does just for his own enjoyment.

Angus Young: It's really very easy to discover that Microsoft makes a healthy profit from it's Mac software. Please, at least try to base your trolling on just one single accurate statement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angus Young

Not any more he doesn't. I repeat, do a little research and you'll find your assertions are false in every way.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Looks like Sun did everything wrong.

I think we've heard enough from Mr. Schwartz and his now-defunct company.

he accomplished more than you ever will. i doubt you will get the chance to run a large tech company into the ground or otherwise. but you do get to run your large mouth.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

he accomplished more than you ever will. i doubt you will get the chance to run a large tech company into the ground or otherwise. but you do get to run your large mouth.

So failing on an epic scale is something to aspire to? Neat.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    trboydentrboyden Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Haha, haha, project looking glass, their attempt at making 3d desktop effects to one up microsoft, when OSX already had it.

Linux had it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz) a full year+ before OS X Leopard, so what's your point? By the way, what 3D desktop effects do think OS X even has? All of the effects in OS X are 2D transparency and animation techniques.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Umm, why can't he be as passionate as u are. Maybe he's passionate about both companies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Why, because we're passionate? You can rave about MS, we'll justifiably rave about Apple and everyone is happy....as long as we leave each other alone...after you go away.

Go talk up MS on a MS fanboy site and leave us to do the same about our love for Apple.....and the portable electronic device God known by all here as Steve Jobs.

I don't see anywhere in the article where Steve shut his trap and got silent when the Sun CEO told him off.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

So failing on an epic scale is something to aspire to? Neat.

i am sure you fail on a mediocre scale daily....so what?

from steve jobs 'im pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did'

so you fail from time to time. the point is pick yourself up afterwards and try again. steve did. john should try again as well.
  • Reply 80 of 88
    trboydentrboyden Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Here is the link. It seems you really don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you stop posting BS.

Jackass.

PS: You might need to look up the definition of dissertation as well.

"...Oklahoma State University has agreements with Microsoft Corporation..." and "...OSU?s Microsoft Campus Agreement..."

You must of missed these parts... As someone would did software licensing for MIT, the university most definitely bought an Academic site license for their students and faculty. So no, it wasn't free in the grand scheme of things and you probably paid for it through technology fees just like I do.

So who's talking up the BS?