Microsoft working on 'Zune HD2' powered by Windows Phone 7

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Similar to how Apple's iPod touch came from the development of the iPhone, Microsoft reportedly plans to base the follow-up to its Zune HD media player on the Windows Phone 7 Series mobile operating system.

At this week's Game Developers Conference, Microsoft unveiled its new XNA Game Studio 4.0, which allows developers to create games that can run on a variety of devices, including Windows desktops, the Xbox 360 and future phones running Windows Phone 7 Series. In addition, ZDNet's Mary-Jo Foley said Microsoft is working on a "Zune HD2" that will be similar to the iPod touch, in that it will have no phone functionality.

But the migration to XNA 4.0 means the current version, 3.1, will be left behind. XNA 3.1 is used to write games and applications for the existing Zune HD, which was just released last September. Microsoft has reportedly encouraged developers to migrate their titles over to the Windows Phone 7 Series platform.

That move would make the small number of developers who have written applications for the current Zune HD to abandon the device, at least in its current iteration. Though Microsoft has not announced any plans, it's possible that the Zune HD operating system could be updated for compatibility with the new XNA 4.0 suite.

"The company's decision to cut Zune HD from the list of targets for XNA Game Studio 4.0 may rile some developers/users, I'd think," Foley wrote.

Windows Phone 7 Series was revealed in February and will be on devices due to hit the market by holiday 2010. The new mobile operating system borrowed heavily from the Zune HD touchscreen interface, and uses the Zune branding for its integrated media player.

The Zune HD sports an OLED multi-touch screen, can tune into HD radio stations, offers playback of high-definition movies and TV shows, and has access to the $15-per-month unlimited download Zune Pass.

Last September, Apple introduced a 64GB iPod touch with a 50 percent faster processor supporting Open GL ES 2.0. In January, the Cupertino, Calif., company revealed that iPod touch sales have been strong, growing 55 percent year-over-year.

Recent surveys have found that the iPod touch has grew faster than the iPhone in late 2009. Another study discovered that iPod touch users spend more time using applications on their device than iPhone users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    Do not be too hard on Redmond Guys. They are trying to do the best they can at what they do best (or at least what they think they can do best) "COPY" We all know how that usually turns out.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

Do not be too hard on Redmond Guys. They are trying to do the best they can at what they do best (or at least what they think they can do best) "COPY" We all know how that usually turns out.

Someday Microsoft is going to get this right, then they'll try to leverage their existing monopolies to push it through. A decade later the Justice Department may chime in, but it may be too late. I'm already seeing pressure to use Microsoft's Surface SDK and .NET 4.0 touch SDK in future vertical software development since it integrates well with the Windows computers in many offices. It could very well be that Apple wins the consumer market but Microsoft ends up with several times the market share as the business market wakes up to multi-touch...
  • Reply 3 of 50
    So let me get this right. Zune, HD, 2, with Windows, Mobile, version 7....???

Uhhhhhgggg, puleazzzz just stop Microsoft.... seriously, stop it now.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Microsoft's new slogan: "A day late, and a dollar short... oh, uh, also 'developers, developers, developers.'"
  • Reply 5 of 50
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Lol Zune HD 2 with Windows Mobile 7 Series. That's a mouthful and does not really tell you what the device actually does.

But jokes aside I was not very impressed with WinMo7. It definitely departs from the iPhone / Android / WinMo 6.5 way of doing things, but in my view it makes it more complicated and harder to find what you are looking for. Plus I don't want all the pictures and status updates right there on my home screen for all to see without even having to open an app.

Xbox is really the only consumer good in recent memory that Microsoft got right (not withstanding the RROD) and it is good to hear that there will be more integration between xbox and WinMo7 devices.

This however is no enterprise OS, and I feel that business users will either ditch WinMo completely for blackberry or stick to 6.5 for as long as it is supported.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    they really need branding help!!!
  • Reply 7 of 50
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    But I thought the Zune HD was so great.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I saw someone with a zune hd here at work, and jokingly I said "Zune HD, what's that?" and this dude started acting like I was serious. I had to calm him down before he hyperventilated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yalskey View Post

So let me get this right. Zune, HD, 2, with Windows, Mobile, version 7....???

Uhhhhhgggg, puleazzzz just stop Microsoft.... seriously, stop it now.

I don't think they heard you. Add more h's and z's.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Even when Microsoft isn't following/copying Apple it appears as though they are.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Someday Microsoft is going to get this right, then they'll try to leverage their existing monopolies to push it through. A decade later the Justice Department may chime in, but it may be too late. I'm already seeing pressure to use Microsoft's Surface SDK and .NET 4.0 touch SDK in future vertical software development since it integrates well with the Windows computers in many offices. It could very well be that Apple wins the consumer market but Microsoft ends up with several times the market share as the business market wakes up to multi-touch...

Maybe not. My son is switching the company he works for (the largest company in their industry) from a largely paper process to a total electronic system using iPod Touches and iPads and in the process, switching from Windows to Macs. When it comes to hardware and software, Apple has the best enterprise solutions. Business isn't dumber than consumers. They're starting to catch on.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    you would seriously think they would want to distance themselves from that horrendous Zune name and all the failure associated with it. Why would they not brand it as a handheld X-Box product? Who cares what it is a reincarnation of? Bing is the reincarnation of Live Search but they didn't call it Live Search 2...they need to get away from that cursed Zune name
  • Reply 12 of 50
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Someday Microsoft is going to get this right, then they'll try to leverage their existing monopolies to push it through.

This is their current strategy. Apparently the attraction is develop once, run everywhere. The problem is, it's a mistake based on the wrongheaded idea that software developed for desktop Windows will be appropriate for smaller-scale devices just because it runs on both platforms. They really don't seem to get it.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    MS showed something cool this week. the same game on WinMo 7, X-Box and PC. and when you saved it on one device and played on another device it remembered the save point across all devices
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

you would seriously think they would want to distance themselves from that horrendous Zune name and all the failure associated with it. Why would they not brand it as a handheld X-Box product? Who cares what it is a reincarnation of? Bing is the reincarnation of Live Search but they didn't call it Live Search 2...they need to get away from that cursed Zune name

I agree with this. Most people who don't keep up with this sort of thing might hear zune and decide it was already something they either decided against in the past, or had heard bad things about.

There are literally millions of words that aren't really words that they could have chosen as a new name for this device.

Actually, I think Microsoft got Bing and Zune from watching old 1960's batman episodes. Maybe their next product will be called the Zlonk or the Glipp.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Microsoft's mobile strategy:

"We'll run in the red for a few years, take a lot of heat from our fanbase, but we promise you in 7 years we'll come up with something really great."
  • Reply 16 of 50
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCad;

Maybe not. My son is switching the company he works for (the largest company in their industry) from a largely paper process to a total electronic system using iPod Touches and iPads and in the process, switching from Windows to Macs. When it comes to hardware and software, Apple has the best enterprise solutions. Business isn't dumber than consumers. They're starting to catch on.

I'd disagree. Macs are making inroads in small businesses but enterprises will continue to use MS because of Exchange, Sharepoint, etc.. MS caters to this crowd. Apple does not. Large companies don't like to upgrade hardware or software and Apple is quick to dump old tech.

I'd say the consumer market is much larger than the business market so that is to Apple's advantage.

I'd be very concerned that, at least on this front, MS seems to be getting their act together. They are copying Apple but MS can afford to not be innovators.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Microsoft's mobile strategy:

"We'll run in the red for a few years, take a lot of heat from our fanbase, but we promise you in 7 years we'll come up with something really great."

and the market's reaction:

"See you in 7 years"
  • Reply 18 of 50
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Zune 2 - The Revenge of the Squirt
  • Reply 19 of 50
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I'm just surprised that they want to replace the Zune HD already. Talk about putting all their eggs in the WinMo7 UI basket. Hasn't even been re-world tested and they wan't to implement it on other devices too. One step at a time MS.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Zune 2 - The Revenge of the Squirt

So wrong... Buy yet, so funny!