Vanilla Sky (Movie & Soundtrack)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I really liked the movie Vanilla Sky. I was quite impressed with the intelligence it displayed and philosophic implications it had. Most movies are so basic and simple, children and adults can go to them and no one missed a thing. Walking out of the theatre after seeing this one, I was so suprised at just how much of a 'thinking movie' this was.

If any of you saw the movie, what did you think? Was it really a deep societal commentary on the search for the soul? Or was it yet another Tom Cruise look-at-me vapid waste of two hours of your life? Or was it somewhere in between? I'd be interested in hearing what other people think!

That being said, I just got the soundtrack to Vanilla Sky and I must say I'm quite impressed. Buckets of good tunes!:

Todd Rundgre - Can We Still Be Friends

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill I've heard of Peter Gabriel before, but I've never listened to any of his tunes. This song is amazingly cool. I'm going to pick up the album this song is from if I can find it. Quite cool.

Looper/Francis MacDonald - Mondo '77 (This was the theme song to the movie used in most of the trailers, I got this song stuck in my head thanks to those trailers and now I can ease it out of my mind by playing it again and again thanks to this soundtrack.)

Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place

The Monkees - Porpoise Song

The Chemical Brothers - Where Do I Begin Quite a nice song. One of the more memorable ones from the movie.

Leftfield & African Bambaataa - Afrika Shox

Paul McCartney - Vanilla Sky

Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye

R.E.M. - Sweetness Follows

Sigur Ros - Svefn-g-englar

Josh Rouse - Directions

Nancy Wilson - Elevator Beat

R.E.M. - All the right Friends

Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten

Bob Dylan - Fourth Time Around

Unfortunately the CD was missing some of my favorite tracks from the movie, so I perused Audiogalaxy (thank you Sputnix!) and found em, they're quite good:

U2 - Wild honey

Sigur Ros - Njosnavelin

Joan Osborne - What if God was One of Us Okay, this song wasn't actually in the movie, but Tom Cruise is screaming the lyrics to it in one scene and I got it stuck in my head.

Sigur Ros - The Nothing Song

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space I *really* love this song! Very uplifting and cool, download it and give it a listen. You'll probably end up orderring the CD.

Theivery Corperation - Lebonese Blonde

-Ybot

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    U2, REM, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel and Cameron Diaz?!

Note to self: go see Vanilla Sky

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    The music really is a character in this movie itself. It is SO well chosen and well placed it's seamless. Even if you don't care to see this movie, go anyway, the music makes up for it.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Cameron Diaz AND Penelope Cruz! So, to sum up, we've got:

Awesome music

Super-cool story

Cameron Diaz

+ Penelope Cruz

----------------------

= One damn good movie.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Go rent "Abre Los Ojos," the 1997 film by Alejandro Almenabar which Cameron Crowe essentially rewrote for Hollywood as "Vanilla Sky." Penelope Cruz sounds dumb as a bag of hammers when she speaks in English, but she's damned sexy speaking in Spanish.

SM
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I also love Jason Lee. Underrated actor.

I never, e-e-e-ver thought I would hear The Porpoise Song anywhere but Head. It worked so perfectly in the scene. Cameron Crowe is king!

Jeff
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I rarely concentrate on the music more on the directing, the photography, the acting.

As for the movie it was really well constructed and very interesting; it was to the point that I did not know which story and the cinematic truth.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I didnt like that movie... It was confusing... I got "the plot" in the end but still I dont think it deserved the hype it got...

I thought it was a waste of time... we walked out dazed and confused about what the point of the movie was... we got the plot but what was the point?... was there a point?

I would rather we got our money back... waste of time....

I give it a two thumbs down...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 8 of 17
    Alejandro Amenabar is such a versatile director. He wrote, directed and scored the music for "The Others" which I thought was quite a decent movie. I've been trying to find "Abre Los Ojos" on DVD but I have not yet been successfull. I will eventually see it though.

-Y

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Ybot ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I have to agree, I saw the movie with my wife 2 nights ago, and thought it was AWESOME.

Funny though, I've had several people tell me it was a total stinker, and several people tell me they thought it was great.

I guess you either love it or hate it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Radiohead could not be more amazing.

- Pook
  • Reply 11 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>Radiohead could not be more amazing.

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>

how true...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    "Open Your Eyes" the original . . .Why see a typical Hollywood ruination of a remake when you can see the real thing: you know it must be good why else would Hollywood want to destroy..I mean, remake it.

Probly has some cheesy happy ending too.

Just remember the difference between the original "The Vanishing", a French language masterpiece that is a philosophical allegory about Cartesian/scientific reason, and murder, and love, and, the silly American version that ends with everybody safe and sound.

The ending of the original is so powerfull that you are literally stunned and physically shocked into a state akin to thoughtfullness . . . which explains why the American version could not have such an ending.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    first of all, i have not seen the movie yet... not sure if i will, either, but here's how a freind described it:

"it's as if crowe was halfway through vanilla sky, then saw the matrix. then, when he was stuck for an ending, he saw fight club."

is that accurate? just curious...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I didn't think it over-used special effects really. So I'd have to disagree with the Fight Club/Matrix bit. While the movie does start off 'normal' showing what Tom Cruise's life *was* like (and then goes into insanity which does involve some special effects). It doesn't gratuitously find reasons for 360º spinning rotations of flying bullets with Carrie-Anne Moss jumping around the room. hehe

-Y
  • Reply 15 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]It doesn't gratuitously find reasons for 360º spinning rotations of flying bullets with Carrie-Anne Moss jumping around the room. hehe<hr></blockquote>

That wouldn't exactly be a bad thing...

I've seen her in 2 movies - The Matrix and Memento.

The 2 characters she plays leave just slightly different tastes in your mouth....

Anyone else think Memento was about the best ****ing movie they'd ever seen? I've seen it a dozen times or so...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yes, murbot, memento f'n rocked...

plus, if i'm not mistaken, the absent-minded guy from memento is the lead role in the upcoing "time machine" movie. here's hoping it's half as good as memento.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    The only movie ever that I've seen Carrie-Anne Moss in and didn't go "ugh" was Red Planet. I thought that was a pretty decent adventure-in-getting-home flick.

I haven't seen Memento yet though. It's on the list.

-Y