Electronics Boutique

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don;t know if this is the case at all EBs or just mine, but why do they open all their games prior to selling them? How can they still sell them for new prices if they are out of the shrink wrap?

If you buy online from them, are they still shrinkwrapped?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Of course they are shrinkwrapped. Well, the GameCube games I've purchased don't come in 'shrinkwrap.' They come in this funky kind of folded wrap...but that's not important.

The EB here does not tamper with the packaging...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Interesting question.

I just bought a game for my Mac at the nearby EB last week. In the store I noticed that the box had been opened/unsealed, so I looked in to make sure the CD was in it.

When I got home I noticed that the CD itself was unsealed - no shrinkwrap.

I figured some employee probably made a copy of it and stuck it back in the box.

Never bought software there before, but if this is a common occurence at these stores I may not buy any more.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Are they removing the discs and keeping them separate from the box/case to avoid shoplifting? There are plenty of CD stores I've seen that do that.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    No, they have them all opened behind the counter. They have all the boxes in one place, and all the discs in boxes or something in another place, both behind the counter. Worst of all they put their price tag right on the keepcases which ticks me off BC I am a real stickler for the appearance of my collections. Oh well it is no biggie just order from Amazon anyway. I just do not see how they can sell it as new if it is not still factory sealed.

Plus, video games are grossly overpriced IMHO anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Lots of computer game boexs don't even come in shrinkwrap...perhaps the jewelcases inside the boxes do, but that's not always the case either. Most of the time game publishers put those little stickers on top of the box lid.

The next time you go to EB, you should confront them about it...ask them why they do that.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I know it's not as much fun as speculating and wondering, but has someone thought of asking someone at EBX. (If you are wondering why I put down EBX, it's the way the location next to my store has on it's sign. It's located at The Shops At Willow Bend Plano, Texas, which is suposedto be a super high fashion mall, so maybe they call it that to make it sound fancy. Sorry about going off on a tangent like that) Next time I go to work I will go over and ask the manager why.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Lots of computer game boexs don't even come in shrinkwrap...perhaps the jewelcases inside the boxes do, but that's not always the case either. Most of the time game publishers put those little stickers on top of the box lid.

The next time you go to EB, you should confront them about it...ask them why they do that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah that is the case w/ computer games...but I was talking console games. Sorry for not calrifying.

• Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Odinn5:

<strong>I know it's not as much fun as speculating and wondering, but has someone thought of asking someone at EBX. (If you are wondering why I put down EBX, it's the way the location next to my store has on it's sign. It's located at The Shops At Willow Bend Plano, Texas, which is suposedto be a super high fashion mall, so maybe they call it that to make it sound fancy. Sorry about going off on a tangent like that) Next time I go to work I will go over and ask the manager why. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What wouldn't be an Apple store, would it?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    If I go back to the same EB I'll ask em. Maybe. Depends on whether the next game I get is sealed or not. If it is, I'm not gonna make a big deal over nothing.

I just happened to be walking past the place (it's the one on 5th ave near 47th St.) on my way back to work, from lunch. Decided to pop in and look at the games and waste some time. Found a Pinball game for my Mac marked down to $7.99 so I thought what the hell and bought it.

Didn't really think about it again until this thread came up....
  • Reply 10 of 11
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    In response to Graphitemanwho was wondering if I was an employee of the Apple Store at The Shops At Willow Bend. I am not, I am the Manager of LensCrafters. I had serious thoughts about applying to the Apple Store and decided that I had too much seniority at LensCrafters and did not want to jepordize such a promising carrer. Although when I can pull myself away from my store, you can probably find me at the Apple Store playing with a Ti-Book or maybe a Quicksilver with a 22 inch Cinema Display. I can't wait to get my hand on the new stuff though. And of course I will be down there Monday to see the webcast of Steve's keynote. If I have staff to cover my store. I don't want to get fired. If anyone happens to be in the mall, come on down. It wouldn't hurt to put some faces with some of the names. And I havn't had time to get next door to see Johnny the manager of EBX.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I haven't purchased anything at an EB for over 10 years, since they moved from the local mall.

I don't recall any shenanegans, but then again the store I visited was in a very upscale mall (probably why they got the hell outta there).