Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 481
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I want you to take a LONG hard look at this graph:

...and remember, the iPhone only has ONE carrier.

I agree that partnering with only ATT was one of Apple's biggest mistakes.

BTW, this graph is more recent:

What's interesting to me is that RIM is pulling away, leaving Apple at an increasingly distant second-place.

It is to be expected that WinMo is dying, and it is sad that Palm is dying. It is no surprise that Android is surging.

But clearly Apple is losing badly to RIM, and that surprises me.
  • Reply 42 of 481
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

The iPhone is on one carrier. It stands to reason that if they don't open up to other carriers at some point, they'll get about as many customers as they're gonna get on AT&T.

Yeah - both the one-phone and the one-carrier strategies are huge mistakes. It is ironic though, that Apple popularized the market segment, and now RIM is eating their lunch.

Kind of like what happened to the GUI OS business: Apple was first (well, not first, but first in the consumer market), but lost out big time to their competitors.
  • Reply 43 of 481
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

Considering you seem to come here to do nothing but bitch and complain, I'd say you should get whatever shuts you up.

I say let's take up a collection.....
  • Reply 44 of 481
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by belunos View Post

I'm really more worried about battery life than anything. Don't get me wrong, multitasking will be nice (my biggest want is better handling of gmail), but I already can't get a full day on one charge.

Agreed, battery life is paramount. BTW, I do ok with location services off but with WiFi and BT on. I usually get 1 day +
  • Reply 45 of 481
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    RIM has their devices on all the major carriers and am sure small market carriers as well. Some of them have been giving buy one get one free deals as well. That being said, with all the places available to get a Blackberry, Apple is doing just fine on one carrier as far as sales are concerned. Imagine if it was available on all carriers with all proper radios...

I do agree that it does suck that WebOS isn't taking off like it was forecasted. I think it has some great features that Apple should look it. Android is surging, but I don't like it's look. Too cluttered for my tastes. I do like the nexus one hardware though...
  • Reply 46 of 481
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Very few people would buy an iPhone now

Yes - the facts seem to support his conclusion.
  • Reply 47 of 481
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

That's not what iStud meant and you know it. They're not buying iPhones because of the impending release of the next-gen iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 481
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Then why did you say a few moments ago that it surprises you that RIM, who have been steadily pumping out new product refreshes over the past year, is selling more than a yet-to-be-updated iPhone model? Oh, wait, you just wanted to twist someones words.

The iPhone has remained level. Android and RIM have gobbled up the Palm and WinMo users. As stated here, and at the source page of your image, lets see this graph again after the iPhone update.
  • Reply 49 of 481
    Quote:

Well, I was just thinking about that. If they made a Nano-phone (let's say) that didn't require a data plan and perhaps an iPhone Lite or even a step up from the iPhone, then yes, the stagnation would probably reverse. More importantly however, they need to open up to other carriers in the US.

Interesting thought. I'm no marketing guru, but that might work. However, Apple is not competing effectively against RIM, and I don't see them offering "Lite" blackberries. Maybe I'm wrong; I don't follow RIM products.

The 'Pad is an iTouch DeLuxe - might that reverse the stagnation? My guess is that Apple will sell a zillion of them.
  • Reply 50 of 481
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azazel- View Post

Yet you don't present any interesting ideas on your own. You troll, link to a graph that you clearly don't understand, and wait for the storm to ensue.

What do I fail to understand about the graph?
  • Reply 51 of 481
    Quote:

BTW, I gotta ask. Why all the negativity towards the iPad, iPhone, Apple etc...? Apple do something to you when you were a kid?
  • Reply 52 of 481
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

I agree that partnering with only ATT was one of Apple's biggest mistakes.

BTW, this graph is more recent:

It's not about how recent they are... They are meaningless outside of yearly cycles.

But you just ignore these little facts.

More importantly, they are only US based. There is a whole world out there. Find the graphs for global share, and then you can talk about stagnation.
  • Reply 53 of 481
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That graph was for US only (Notice how Nokia is not even mentioned). Apple sells the iPhone world wide.

Where did you find the information that the graph is US only? The story didn't say that.
  • Reply 54 of 481
    Quote:

You are one of a class!
  • Reply 55 of 481
    Quote:

What do I fail to understand about the graph?

Priceless!
  • Reply 56 of 481
    r210r210 Posts: 13member
    I don't see Apple ever really doing this. The nano is $149, you can buy a iPhone 3G for $99 with a "full" phone screen. Why would Apple make a Nano Phone, assuming small screen, no apps\ there are plenty of dump phones that play music. I think Apple has it covered.
  • Reply 57 of 481
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:

BTW, I gotta ask. Why all the negativity towards the iPad, iPhone, Apple etc...? Apple do something to you when you were a kid?

You'd be hard pressed to find him making a positive post about Apple anywhere on this Apple-centric site. Now, typically there is a label one applies to those that behave such as this, but he's rather content to skirt along the fringe of the rules without doing anything truly ban-worthy.
  • Reply 58 of 481
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

I'm thinking that they could incorporate a system sorta like a cross between Spaces and Expose; punch four fingers together on the screen to enter it and see all applications running, tap on an application to select and access it.

How do you close an App?
  • Reply 59 of 481
    Quote:

That's not what iStud meant and you know it. They're not buying iPhones because of the impending release of the next-gen iPhone.

Yes, the facts support the contention that he made: Few people would buy an iPhone at this point. The reasons why Apple's sales are dwarfed by RIM, and why Apple's sales are falling further behind, are not clear from the graph.

I agree that the technical inferiority of iOS may well have a big impact, hence my comments that Apple really needs to catch up if they want to advance market share. They seem to have lost all momentum in the smartphone market.

The next-gen iPhone might reverse the trends. But only if Apple can figure out why so many more folks decide to buy Blackberries rather than iPhones.
  • Reply 60 of 481
    Quote:

Yes, the facts support the contention that he made: Few people would buy an iPhone at this point. The reasons why Apple's sales are dwarfed by RIM, and why Apple's sales are falling further behind, are not clear from the graph.

A graph of facts will never give you reasons. That's called a causality relationship and it needs a totally different mathematical analysis (not that you care, of course)