Pink Floyd songs could be removed from iTunes after court ruling

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    Blimey all the 70's prog lovers are out today! Just be careful when you tarnish a lot of 'da youth' music today as irreverent, its a tad narrow minded.

I do appreciate that the album as an art piece is in some sense a dying form, but you've got to put it into context of the death of vinyl, large gatefold artwork and a lack of obvious portability back in the days of Vinyl decks was always going to shape the nature of listening habits. The 'album' was a late 60's invention anyway.

The walkmen and eventually the iPod have changed how we consume music, on the go, bitesize chunks, criticise the system not the people who are the products of it!

Oh dear I've rambled, anyway I dig a bit of floyd but was always a post-punker myself.

And if you think the albums dead go listen to 'The Horrors - Primary Colours', an 'album album' in the truest sense.

Now back on topic..... whoops
  • Reply 42 of 113
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Not a PF fan, but you have to agree, if they own the music and it was in their contract with EMI, PF is right. It might mean less sales for PF on the whole as there are people who only want to download a few songs per album. I usually buy the CD if I want a majority of the songs. If I want only one or two songs, then I download those that I like.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

what are radio stations?

Only thing thats good about radio anymore in my opinion is public radio like NPR and the BBC.

I wish I was a kid back when they had the old radio shows like X Minus One
  • Reply 44 of 113
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I have come across a couple of albums on iTunes where you can't purchase individual tracks. I think the most recent one was the Haiti relief one or something like that. I am not a PF fan anyways, but I feel they also have the right to do what they want with their music, as long as it fits in the context of their contract.
  • Reply 45 of 113
    krugekruge Posts: 3member
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, and I believe I've got everything they've ever released... However, it's pretty damn rare for me to sit down and listen to an entire album of anything, no matter how much it might "flow together" or whatever. No matter how much you might like to listen to Dark Side of the Moon, don't you want to, sometimes, just listen to Money?

The single, in my opinion, has always been like a movie trailer. When exposed to a new band, you check it out first. I always used to buy a single and then listen to the B side. If I didn't like that, then I figured I probably wouldn't like the rest of the album... You don't suddenly go out and buy their entire catalogue. While I appreciate Floyd's hard-line stance on artistic integrity (and, lets face it, Pink Floyd have done some very strange things in the past in the name of art), I can only hope that this isn't too much of a precedent for other bands out there.

If it really is this issue that is preventing The Beatles from selling on iTunes, well, more fool them. Seriously, are they trying to tell us that "I Want To Hold Your Hand" needs to be listened to in context to be appreciated? Give me a break!
  • Reply 46 of 113
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoundCity View Post

Blimey all the 70's prog lovers are out today! Just be careful when you tarnish a lot of 'da youth' music today as irreverent, its a tad narrow minded.

I do appreciate that the album as an art piece is in some sense a dying form, but you've got to put it into context of the death of vinyl, large gatefold artwork and a lack of obvious portability back in the days of Vinyl decks was always going to shape the nature of listening habits. The 'album' was a late 60's invention anyway.

The walkmen and eventually the iPod have changed how we consume music, on the go, bitesize chunks, criticise the system not the people who are the products of it!

Oh dear I've rambled, anyway I dig a bit of floyd but was always a post-punker myself.

And if you think the albums dead go listen to 'The Horrors - Primary Colours', an 'album album' in the truest sense.

Now back on topic..... whoops

vinyl is far from dead

It is harder to find good music today. It is not like Nick cave, the ass ponys, sisters of mercy the lemonheads or the handsome family get much airplay
  • Reply 47 of 113
    Really if the band wants the album sold as an album and not individual tracks then IMO that's their call. They did make the music after all, and providing they didn't sell the rights they can do what they want.

That being said, its a completely stupid argument. Let be honest here Pink and step in to the REAL WORLD where what ACTUALLY happens exists. People who buy the album will listen to the songs they want, when they want. If they don't want to listen to the whole album they wont, in fact a lot of people wont. Why? It's called a shuffle button.

When I see things like this I can't help but think its about money. I just have a hard time believing that PF is stupid enough to think that selling an album in it's entirety == listening to an album in it's entirety.
  • Reply 48 of 113
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

If he had taken an artistic position that an album is an art form that should be experienced in its entirety then yes. Look at The Beatles as they said in the article: their early music was the catchy, boybandy hook music (Hard Day's Night, I Want to Hold Your Hand, etc). They evolved into a band that focused on the album as a work of art (Abbey Road, Revolver, etc).

I'm not saying that you can't listen to a single song from one of those artists and be happy about it, but you should respect the artist's request to release their work as it was intended.

You wouldn't read chapters 1, 9, 16, and 42 from a book without reading the entire book would you?

I CAN CHOOSE to do just that. Just like I can choose to appreciate a painting by only focusing on a part of it. It is MY choice how to interpret a piece of art. If Pink Floyd considers their music to be "high art" that is fine, but they DON'T get the right to tell me how to appreciate it. If I am forced to buy an entire album just to satisfy their viewpoint then I will simply find other art to appreciate instead.
  • Reply 49 of 113
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Seems like a poor business decision to me. Now, if I just want a song or 2, I'll Google the album, download it and transfer what songs I want to iTunes. Money earned for Pink Floyd=$0.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Just get it for free on Limewire. I am sure that will make them a lot more money.

Pink Floyd my ass!!!!
  • Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yawn. Decent, but overrated in their prime; but now definitely a has-been, band.

This is news!?

Enjoy your Menudo music.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Just make sure you also shuffle the dvd chapters when you watch the wizard of oz.

Is there any other way?
  • Reply 53 of 113
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I CAN CHOOSE to do just that. Just like I can choose to appreciate a painting by only focusing on a part of it. It is MY choice how to interpret a piece of art. If Pink Floyd considers their music to be "high art" that is fine, but they DON'T get the right to tell me how to appreciate it. If I am forced to buy an entire album just to satisfy their viewpoint then I will simply find other art to appreciate instead.

You missed his point, yes you can choose to read any chapter you want, but you have to buy the whole book first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Just get it for free on Limewire. I am sure that will make them a lot more money.Pink Floyd my ass!!!!

Have fun with all those fines and possible jail time. I prefer supporting the artists and staying on the legal side of the law.
  • Reply 54 of 113
    why is it always the "youth" who don't get it.

the reality is the OLD BAGS don't get it. anyone who subscribes to that theory is .... an O L D F A R T.

i can guarantee that these OLDSTERS were put down in their youth as well. For listening to such great stuff as The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

It's a tired arguement indeed.

someone name dropped THE HORRORS --- brilliant! and Green Day, bravo!!

let's not forget MEW - their album "Mew and the Glass Handed Kite" is a modern masterpiece from start to finish. "singles" were released from the album, but it's one long musical suite meant to be heard in it's entirety. Their latest album "No More Stories Are Told Today I'm Sorry They Washed Away No More Stories The World Is Grey I'm Tired Let's Wash Away" also falls along those lines, but it's more loose.

the "youth" are alive and well and as artistic as ever. just have to make an effort to find it!

cheers!
  • Reply 55 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Enjoy your Menudo music.

Ouch. I guess your feeling got hurt.... ah well, it happens when it comes to the topic of music. What can you do.

Fwiw, I can't stand Menudo. But that's OK. There are people who feel as passionate about it as some do about Pink Floyd.
  • Reply 56 of 113
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Why is this even an issue when it comes to iTunes? There have been Album-Only songs since day one. If Pink Floyd want it so you must buy their whole album, let em? I don't see how it's an issue?

Did you read the article?

EMI, the label, agreed with Pink Floyd that singles could not be sold without the band's permissions, yet EMI allowed singles to be sold without the band's permission on iTunes.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kruge View Post

If it really is this issue that is preventing The Beatles from selling on iTunes, well, more fool them. Seriously, are they trying to tell us that "I Want To Hold Your Hand" needs to be listened to in context to be appreciated? Give me a break!

Would have been a valid point if "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was actually released on an album
  • Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

You wouldn't read chapters 1, 9, 16, and 42 from a book without reading the entire book would you?

Probably not but you are not going to purchase only chapters 1, 9, 16 and 42. You WILL purchase the entire book.
  • Reply 59 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Have fun with all those fines and possible jail time.

Copyright infringement is civil, not criminal. No jail time will happen.

Quote:

I prefer supporting the artists and staying on the legal side of the law.

Absolutely!
  • Reply 60 of 113
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    This is just plain greedy! If the whole CD is truly amazing listeners would buy it anyway. They just trying to get as much money out of every song possible.