Apple to accept U.S. iPad preorders starting at 8:30 a.m. Eastern

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is set to take preorders for its highly anticipated iPad multimedia device Friday, and the company's Web site will begin accepting advance orders from customers at 8:30 a.m. Eastern, 5:30 a.m. Pacific.

Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported Thursday that preorders for the Wi-Fi-only iPad will begin first-thing Friday morning. The Wi-Fi iPad is set to launch in the U.S. on April 3, with the 3G capable model coming later that month.

In addition, both the Wi-Fi and 3G models will be available in the U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Japan, Span and Switzerland in late April.

The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with Wi-Fi, going up to $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB. The models with both Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, compatible only with AT&T in the U.S., carry a $130 premium.

Apple introduced the iPad in late January and announced a 60-day launch window for the Wi-Fi model, and 90 day wait for the 3G option. The April 3 launch comes just a few days after that deadline.

Apple's marketing blitz for the iPad began on Sunday, when the company ran its very first TV advertisement for the product during the Academy Awards. The 30-second spot races through a variety of features as the song "There Goes My Love" by the Blue Van.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    I was wondering what time ... 6:30 MST (ouch).
  • Reply 2 of 109
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with Wi-Fi, going up to $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB. The models with both Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, compatible only with AT&T in the U.S., carry a $130 premium.

My big question is, will there be Government/Education discounts?
  • Reply 3 of 109
    Oh Jebus, here it comes.
  • Reply 4 of 109
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    So far sales have been pretty stagnant. Meanwhile Blackberry and Android devices are selling like crazy.
  • Reply 5 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

So far sales have been pretty stagnant. Meanwhile Blackberry and Android devices are selling like crazy.

You mean "zero"?
  • Reply 6 of 109
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    What many have been waiting for. Go for it.
  • Reply 7 of 109
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    It will be interesting to see how it goes. I plan on waiting for the 3G version. I think for those times when you're travelling it will be worth having the option.
  • Reply 8 of 109
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean "zero"?

Please don't start--you might end up with another 9 pages. That last thread was about 353 post with 61 posted by antiquated 4:3 aspect ratio YKWIM and about 89 responses to same or about 150 post about stagnant sales. Nothing to do with the main topic of "Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support" Now there are two on my ignore list.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toes View Post

I was wondering what time ... 6:30 MST (ouch).

Could be worse if you live in Alaska or Hawaii
  • Reply 10 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Please don't start--you might end up with another 9 pages. That last thread was about 353 post with 61 posted by antiquated 4:3 aspect ratio YKWIM and about 89 responses to same or about 150 post about stagnant sales. Nothing to do with the main topic of "Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support" Now there are two on my ignore list.

I figured he was just making fun of iGenius' stagnation claims from the previous thread since the iPad has yet to go on sale.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    Quote:

It will be interesting to see how it goes. I plan on waiting for the 3G version. I think for those times when you're travelling it will be worth having the option.

I guess so. I'm sitting this one out too. Just bought a MBP last year and I will wait to see how this will work for me. Usually like to wait until they work all the kinks out.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    Quote:

I figured he was just making fun of iGenius' stagnation claims from the previous thread since the iPad has yet to go on sale.

I know, but I don't think that I can stand another 9 pages of the 4:3 aspect ratios or stagnant sales arguments. Things could stagnate pretty fast when YKW is around. Work to do so signing off.
  • Reply 13 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported Thursday that preorders for the Wi-Fi-only iPad will begin first-thing Friday morning.

Are you saying that we can't preorder the 3G model first-thing Friday morning? When can we preorder the 3G?
  • Reply 14 of 109
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

Yep. He was funny, too.
  • Reply 15 of 109
    When does Apple start to take pre-orders for the 3G iPad?

I would have thought that Apple would be smart enough to want to start taking pre-orders for both at the same time, so that it can get a better sense of the demand for each type!? (Other than for the extra server bandwidth, it's not like they lose anything by taking orders for something that is due out a month later).

Strange......
  • Reply 16 of 109
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Yeah, I wonder when the troll known as iGenius gets to order his Slate or Courier? Oh wait, they're still just vaporware concepts waiting to see what they have to copy from the iPad to have any chance of selling. What was I thinking?
  • Reply 17 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

When does Apple start to take pre-orders for the 3G iPad?

I would have thought that Apple would be smart enough to want to start taking pre-orders for both at the same time, so that it can get a better sense of the demand for each type!? (Other than for the extra server bandwidth, it's not like they lose anything by taking orders for something that is due out a month later).

Strange......

Apple's site says you can pre-order either.
  • Reply 18 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Could be worse if you live in Alaska or Hawaii

I'd actually rather prefer that (at least in Hawaii), that would be 1:30, easier just to stay up.

It's 7:30 for me. I tend to get to work at 7:45-7:50, so I'm gonna need to leave for work a little early so I can be at work by that time.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Ugh, if I wasn't going to vegas for march madness next week i'd order one right off, but it'll have to wait a month.
  • Reply 20 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroman View Post

Apple's site says you can pre-order either.

Where does it specifically say that? It is a bit vaguely worded there (always has been).

I am responding to the following line in the AI story (which you also presumably read): "Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported Thursday that preorders for the Wi-Fi-only iPad will begin first-thing Friday morning."