Apple limits iPad preorders to two per customer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post

"Hurry, hurry, hurry folks. Step right up and get your 9.7" iPod Touch... uhh.. iPad."

No thanks. I will pass. It took them this long to take an iPod Touch and turn it into an (almost) 10" model and give us nothing more than an option to make it a book reader and pay AT&T for data service? No thanks. I love Apple (and my iPod Touch, Mac-Mini, and my Macbook), but this offers me nothing that I need.

Put a camera on it, give me a data service other than AT&T, and let it muli-task and we will talk.

why do people love posting about what they won't do? Anyway regarding multitasking, you must not have seen yesterdays' report? Also why would you use any other carrier for the data plan on an ipad. Verizon's data plan comes with a contract, requires that you spend money on and carry around additional hardware and it cost $60/ month with a 5GB limit.

So all you are left with is waiting for a camera?
  • Reply 62 of 151
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

I really don't think Apple needs any artificial help in generating buzz - the way your analogous nightclub would - about the iPad. It has received saturation coverage from the moment the keynote ended.

Good points. But I note that much of the coverage has been negative. I also note that lots of folks are apt to jump on a bandwagon, and that things in short supply often seem extra-desirable.
  • Reply 63 of 151
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

Apple is using the 2-iPad limit as a trick to give the impression there is more demand than there is.

Ever get pissed off because you can't get tickets to a concert, sports event or a special product release without paying an arm and a leg?

Well, right now, there are nearly 240 auctions on EBay for the iPad. Why give the scalpers more ammunition to draw from?
  • Reply 64 of 151
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And sacrifice the 10K+ hits per page?!

By now we all know the trolls I would just ignore them. Replying to them give them exactly what they way.. attention.

A lot of people don't because I still see the trolls' posts quoted.

"Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
  • Reply 65 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Stop pestering people with your self righteousness, no one cares that you don't want an ipad.

This sort of stuff ruins this forum.
  • Reply 66 of 151
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is true. Choke the supply to drive up demand. Pretty basic retail strategy.

Is this what's actually happening, though?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

I worked in retail for a while, and our basic strategy was "have things on the shelves so people can give us money for them."

I was thinking the same thing. You control supply and demand to manipulate price. As far as I know supply and demand are independent from each other.
  • Reply 67 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In the f*cking US f*cking A only.

Something like 40% of their sales are outside of the USA now and still they pull this crap. Obviously living 20 minutes from the US border in an exotic place like Canada makes me some kind of fancy foreigner.

Apple being an asshole about this is bad enough AppleInsider could at least put "in the USA" after the title or mention somewhere in the article that all you they talking about is the USA.

Girl you need to relax. You'll only have to wait a month. Curb the foul language.
  • Reply 68 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Good points. But I note that much of the coverage has been negative. I also note that lots of folks are apt to jump on a bandwagon, and that things in short supply often seem extra-desirable.

I think you are transferring your own negativity to the iPad stories. As much as there have been some negative stories by geeks in geek forums (sorry guys... not meant maliciously), there have also been some very positive stories in the mainstream press... and, if you're actually reading this thread you'll notice that demand is quite high amongst apple devotees.
  • Reply 69 of 151
    Quote:

This sort of stuff ruins this forum.

Ahhh, No!

The idea that people post here talking about what the product should do to meet their niche requirements, or the IPad will fail, or why it's for grandma is just getting old and I for one would rather discuss what we can do with it. It has allot of possibility as an every day device and will suit my needs well producing television and movies.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

The limit might be in place to cut down on resale outlets or sites selling them - similar to limiting ticket scalpers.

The two-iPad limit is not that big of deal really. Get over it.

In the past, I remember seeing few pre-orders being sold on ebay before products were even shipping. There are many countries around the world that won't be getting the iPad on April 3rd (Some will get it later this year). You can expect overseas retailers to have representative pre-ordering in high quantities in the US and ship them to be sold at more than double the price. This could be a problem for Apple retail stores and customers here in the US.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think you are transferring your own negativity to the iPad stories. As much as there have been some negative stories by geeks in geek forums (sorry guys... not meant maliciously), there have also been some very positive stories in the mainstream press... and, if you're actually reading this thread you'll notice that demand is quite high amongst apple devotees.

Yes, the press coverage for the 'Pad has been very mixed. That is why I said "much of" as a qualifier.

The negative press is not restricted to geek fora. Much of the mainstream press coverage has also been negative.

And this thread is not any sort of window into the minds of apple devotees in general - the small, self-selected nature precludes that.

All that being said, I expect the 'Pad to sell very well.
  • Reply 72 of 151
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Ever get pissed off because you can't get tickets to a concert, sports event or a special product release without paying an arm and a leg?

Well, right now, there are nearly 240 auctions on EBay for the iPad. Why give the scalpers more ammunition to draw from?

We've seen this before. Remember the lady who wanted to buy $100k worth of iPhones to sell on eBay and paid some kid $800 for his #1 place in line only to later realize she could only buy one.
    Apple isn't raising the price for the high demand, we know it's late to market and the device isn't even sold to other countries until late April. It clear the demand is very real, not just imagined as some wish to imply.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Something like 40% of their sales are outside of the USA now and still they pull this crap. Obviously living 20 minutes from the US border in an exotic place like Canada makes me some kind of fancy foreigner.

Apple being an asshole about this is bad enough AppleInsider could at least put "in the USA" after the title or mention somewhere in the article that all you they talking about is the USA.

Here is the much more succinct and more accurate version from MacNN:

"As promised, iPad pre-orders have begun at the Apple Store. The campaign lets US customers pre-order the Wi-Fi and 3G versions of the tablet for online shipments. It also lets customers reserve a unit at a retail store in the country."

I don't want to hear it.

Canada won gold in men's and women's Olympic hockey, and your hockey coverage up there is vastly superior.
  • Reply 74 of 151
    rhbrhb Posts: 10member
    Quote:

But I note that much of the coverage has been negative.

Then you're not paying attention. "Much" of the geek press has been lukewarm, but (as noted many times here, correctly) this isn't positioned as a geek device. Many blogs and press writeups have noted this, which gives the lie to your implication. The real point here is to create a consumer device that changes the landscape for how users interact with an O/S, thereby simplifying and focusing the whole experience on specific functions, not on system capabilities that many don't understand or access.

Whether or not it's going to be a success, who knows. But while the initial buzz was in the geek crew (present company included), the real fuel behind this will come from the rest of the market. And that's by design, as Apple has made crystal clear.

Expand your knowledge of "coverage" before you characterize it. Or continue to look uninformed.
  • Reply 75 of 151
    Quote:

All that being said, I expect the 'Pad to sell very well.

I wouldn't have known that from reading your posts.
  • Reply 76 of 151
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm torn! I want to buy something nice for myself, but I don't know if I'll make real use of the ipad.

I need to find a website showing all the things one can do with an ipad. Anyone have anything like that?
  • Reply 77 of 151
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

However, since the iPad can be charged using a computer USB then it shouldn't be a problem charging it using the iPhones power adapter. The only advantage with the iPad power adapter is the 6-foot-long cord.

You only get 2.5W off your USB port, so the charge time would be dramatically longer. Not bad if you are just plugging it in during the day... but that kind of defeats the intent.
  • Reply 78 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Here is the much more succinct and more accurate version from MacNN:

"As promised, iPad pre-orders have begun at the Apple Store. The campaign lets US customers pre-order the Wi-Fi and 3G versions of the tablet for online shipments. It also lets customers reserve a unit at a retail store in the country."

Whoa. We'll get it too, don't worry. As far as the 3G models go, it's also up to carriers here (like Rogers), not just Apple. Apple is currently in talks with Rogers, so we'll get it, not to worry. Shouldn't take too long.

Wow, is demand ever high for this thing!
  • Reply 79 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wouldn't have known that from reading your posts.

I've said exactly that many times, starting on the day of the announcement.
  • Reply 80 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Then the cord is included with the adapter that comes with the iPad?

The $29 power supply comes with a six-foot power cord, which is longer than the in-box power cord. The narrative about it implies (or maybe I merely infer) that it is smaller, physically, than the in-box power supply.