Apple limits iPad preorders to two per customer

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I've said exactly that many times, starting on the day of the announcement.

Then what's with the empty nightclub statement?

You can't suggest one thing and yet believe another unless you have a personality disorder.
  • Reply 82 of 151
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

You only get 2.5W off your USB port, so the charge time would be dramatically longer. Not bad if you are just plugging it in during the day... but that kind of defeats the intent.

Good point. I wonder if plugging the 10W adapter to my iPhone will charge faster or blow it up though

EDIT: Never mind. It will work with the iPhone "It also charges iPhone and all iPod models with a dock connector."
  • Reply 83 of 151
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:

I've said exactly that many times, starting on the day of the announcement.

Who would have thought they were outnumbered
  • Reply 84 of 151
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Apple stock jumped today because of an event that was totally foreseen- the opening up for iPad pre-orders. Seems to me someone inside who can see the pre-order numbers is having an intimate conversation with his broker.
  • Reply 85 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In the f*cking US f*cking A only.

Something like 40% of their sales are outside of the USA now and still they pull this crap. Obviously living 20 minutes from the US border in an exotic place like Canada makes me some kind of fancy foreigner.

Apple being an asshole about this is bad enough AppleInsider could at least put "in the USA" after the title or mention somewhere in the article that all you they talking about is the USA.

Here is the much more succinct and more accurate version from MacNN:

"As promised, iPad pre-orders have begun at the Apple Store. The campaign lets US customers pre-order the Wi-Fi and 3G versions of the tablet for online shipments. It also lets customers reserve a unit at a retail store in the country."

In the original introduction for the iPad, Jobs said that it would be released outside the USA later than within the USA. So why are you surprised that it's not initially available outside the USA?
  • Reply 86 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

While artificial scarcity is one plausible explanation for the "only 2 per customer" policy there is another plausible reason; to avoid a lack of product. As we've seen in the past, customers get upset when they can't get product.

I think you're right. Given the choice, Apple (or any retailer, really) would rather some small number of customers are disappointed that they can't order sixteen or whatever, than some larger number of customers be disappointed that they can't get one at all because a few guys bought truckloads of them.

Quote:

PS. - I agree with the statement by anantksundaram. I'm watching this thread dissolve into absolute crap by the senseless posts and the senseless replies (such as this ps) to iGenius.

I think you're right about this as well. I haven't been on this forum for very long, but it seems like even in the past few days it's gotten harder to sift the actual conversation from the chaff of nonsense and noise. It's been a little frustrating.
  • Reply 87 of 151
    Quote:

Here's what it meant: The use of artificial scarcity is a common technique to pique consumer interest.

From now on, I'll try to make my statements simple and easy enough for Apple's target demographic to understand.

It may be a common technique, but you have no evidence that this is the case with the iPad. I trust that sentence is simple and easy enough for even an iGenius to understand.
  • Reply 88 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

I don't want to hear it.

Canada won gold in men's and women's Olympic hockey, and your hockey coverage up there is vastly superior.

From what I understand, so was our Olympic TV coverage. We got to see just about every significant moment during the games live, not delayed until prime time. Imagine half a dozen channels all covering different events.

Vive la difference.
  • Reply 89 of 151
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

If the 10W USB Power Adapter is included with the iPad, why is it also sold separately? Just for the 6' power cord? Why don't they just sell the cord by itself? What am I missing here?

If you have more than one dock and want extra power, there is an extra power adaptor as an accessory.

And I stand corrected - as someone else pointed out the power cord is between the wall and the brick. It's the same cord every other Apple brick power adaptor has used for the last several years.

And I do believe if you call into Apple you can get that cord by itself as a spare part. I haven't had the need myself since just about every power supply comes with one but half of mine are using the shorter direct plug into the wall adaptors.

Indeed, I'm not worried about getting extra iPad power adaptors, I'll just use one I never used from an old iPod (USB, not Firewire tho!) to power a second dock at work.
  • Reply 90 of 151
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Whoa. We'll get it too, don't worry. As far as the 3G models go, it's also up to carriers here (like Rogers), not just Apple. Apple is currently in talks with Rogers, so we'll get it, not to worry. Shouldn't take too long.

Wow, is demand ever high for this thing!

Apple can't win with some folks. They stagger a launch on one product or don't stagger the launch on another. Still the shit flies.

Add another.
  • Reply 91 of 151
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Then what's with the empty nightclub statement?

You can't suggest one thing and yet believe another unless you have a personality disorder.

The night club example was to illustrate that this might be a common method to attract consumer interest.
  • Reply 92 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is this what's actually happening, though?

Basless speculation and thread trolling is what's happening - but really is that a suprise?
  • Reply 93 of 151
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Ordered mine.

I noticed the app store is up to 150,000 apps now.
  • Reply 94 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

I think you're right about this as well. I haven't been on this forum for very long, but it seems like even in the past few days it's gotten harder to sift the actual conversation from the chaff of nonsense and noise. It's been a little frustrating.

The ignore feature is a wonderfull thing. It cuts the inane chatter down to just what others are suckered into quoting and responding to. Not perfect but certainly thins out the worthless trolling.

It would be nice if the mods would do their job and nuke the obvious trollers tho
  • Reply 95 of 151
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Ordered mine.

I noticed the app store is up to 150,000 apps now.

Macworld lists 173,715 for discovery. http://www.macworld.com/appguide/index.html
  • Reply 96 of 151
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Macworld lists 173,715 for discovery. http://www.macworld.com/appguide/index.html

And it's a bit of a PIA to sort through it. But then, that's not a bad problem to have. Better than too few apps.
  • Reply 97 of 151
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Safari on the 'Pad supports HTML5, is the same true for Safari on the iPhone?
  • Reply 98 of 151
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

While I agree, you guys also need a policy for folks that consistently and imperviously detract from every thread by repeating the same negative thing again and again.

Your call, lundy et. al. But I sure hope you'll do something about guys like the iGenius and the TEKSTUDs that regularly hijack many of these threads and make it an unreadable joke.

I concur 1000%

While I agree that it is the right of an individual to be able to post comments, the comments should be on topic and not posted as a distraction. Along with these rights comes certain responsibilities and considerations to other posters using this site.

The poster in question has continually interjected his/hers idea where the thread should go--and at times points fingers at someone else for the same offensive behavior he/she uses.

Please see what happened to:

Apple's iPhone 4.0 software to deliver multitasking support @ http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...g_support.html

HP attacks Apple iPad over Flash, ARM expects 50 new tablets in 2010

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=107683&page=3

It's your call. AI will only suffer if these acts continue.

thanks
  • Reply 99 of 151
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Sure hope this doesn't apply to ed purchases...
  • Reply 100 of 151
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The ignore feature is a wonderfull thing. It cuts the inane chatter down to just what others are suckered into quoting and responding to. Not perfect but certainly thins out the worthless trolling.

It would be nice if the mods would do their job and nuke the obvious trollers tho

You're right. Hope that something is done--real soon.