Roughly 10% of Microsoft employees said to be iPhone owners

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Although it's no secret that members of Microsoft's leadership frown upon employees who choose an Apple iPhone over one running the company's own Windows Mobile operating system, approximately 1 in 10 still veer towards the forbidden fruit and sometimes go to great lengths to conceal them on the job.

In a lengthy profile on the perils of being an iPhone user at Microsoft, The Wall Street Journal cites two people familiar with the matter in saying that nearly 10,000 iPhone users were regularly accessing the Microsoft employee email system last year, representing roughly 10% of the company's global headcount.

The trend at Microsoft has flourished in the face of chief executive Steve Ballmer, who has a long track record of making inflammatory remarks about the Apple handset and expressing his displeasure with staffers who use one. Perhaps the most infamous example of this came last September during a private company meeting when he caught an employee using an iPhone to snap a photo of his entrance.

Ballmer grabbed the iPhone from the employee, made some remarks as the crowd booed, then placed it on the ground and pretended to stomp on it before walking away. During his ensuing presentation, the Microsoft chief again turned his attention to the employee with a few more teasing remarks.

In yet another sign that Microsoft was determined to curb iPhone adoption amongst its own kind, the Journal notes that the company "in early 2009 modified its corporate cellphone policy to only reimburse service fees for employees using phones that run on Windows Phone software." The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant would later claim the move was "part of a broader cost-cutting plan."

Still, many employees are unwilling to sacrifice their iPhone and regularly adopt measures to hide their handsets when in the presence of the company's top brass, according to the Journal. "While rank-and-file workers tend to use the iPhone openly around peers, some conceal them within sight of more senior executives.," the paper reports. "One Microsoft worker said he knows several colleagues who try to disguise their iPhones with cases that make them look more like generic handsets."

Ballmer laughs off the iPhone in 2007.

"Maybe once a year I'm in a meeting with Steve Ballmer," that employee said. "It doesn't matter who's calling, I'm not answering my phone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Thats interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Rounding error.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    It's a business expense for the WinMo7 team.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    You don't work at Pepsi and bring a Coke back from lunch. No matter who is watching.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Sometimes wonder if Ballmer isn't an iPhone user himself, but is still in the closet. We know he gave at least one presentation using a MacBook Pro...
  • Reply 6 of 68
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

From the video... If we didn't think there was transformation going on we wouldn't be playing...

Transforming sh*t into bricks. And that does take talent...
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

You don't work at Pepsi and bring a Coke back from lunch. No matter who is watching.

But without the cans nobody would know Not so easy with an iPhone, no matter what can you put it in ...
  • Reply 8 of 68
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Hopefully this will encourage Microsoft to make their offering more competitive. I'm sure that the vast majority of Microsoft employees would use a Windows Phone if it was anywhere near on par with the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Surely the easiest way for MS to stop their employees using iPhones would be for MS to build a better phone that those same employees would actually want, no?
  • Reply 10 of 68
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    As a shareholder of both AAPL and MSFT, I'm a bit torn about how I should feel about this.

However, since my holdings of AAPL greatly outstrip my MSFT investment, I guess I should encourage Microsoft employees to keep buying iPhones.

Thanks guys!
  • Reply 11 of 68
    When Steve Jobs said they were about 5 years ahead of the competition - I'd say he was just about right. By the time the new Windows phone ships, Apple will be on to version 4. If you look at the current Windows Mobile offering today - you can surely see why many of their employees are using the iPhone. Maybe that will change with Windows Phone 7.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I bet there's a bit of a market for a Zune-like case.

Quote:

Chug it on the way back and leave the container in the car.

I knew a guy that liked classic Fords and worked for GM. The only restriction for him was that if he wasn't parking a GM vehicle, he had to park it on the farthest parking lot.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    How many Apple employees have Windows PC's or use Windows on a Mac?

How many Apple employees family members use PC's at work or at school?
  • Reply 14 of 68
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

But without the cans nobody would know Not so easy with an iPhone, no matter what can you put it in ...

The ringtone is the worse give away. Here in NYC everyone seems to use the old phone ringtone. Whenever I'm in a crowded place everyone grabs their iPhone when they hear it.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

How many Apple employees have Windows PC's or use Windows on a Mac?

How many Apple employees family members use PC's at work or at school?

And: how many of those Apple employees LIKE the Windows experience anywhere near as much as the Mac experience, or find it anywhere near as productive and hassle-free?

Vs. how may of the Microsoft employees LIKE the iPhone experience anywhere near as much (dare I say better?) than the Windows Mobile experience?

In other words, how many Microsoft and Apple people use the competitor?s products by CHOICE vs. regrettable necessity?
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Surely the easiest way for MS to stop their employees using iPhones would be for MS to build a better phone that those same employees would actually want, no?

Damn, what a concept!
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Although it's no secret that members of Microsoft's leadership frown upon employees who choose an Apple iPhone over one running the company's own Windows Mobile operating system, approximately 1 in 10 still veer towards the forbidden fruit and sometimes go to great lengths to conceal them on the job.

So why is it still an issue? You get MS technology buying a WinMo phone. But you get an MS OS, plus some third party hardware.

With the iPhone you get Third part y hardware and perhaps a small amount of licensed MS technology, but to be honest the *reason* I bought an iPhone has almost 100% to do with that piece of MS technology. MS ActiveSync technology allows Google to provide me my iPhone email/calendar/contacts syncing.

Why aren't they pointing that out...it's a win both parties in my mind.

Without that key piece in place I'd be forced to buy a RIM/Blackberry device.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    If it's so important for Microsoft's employees to use Windows Mobile phones, buy 'em the damned phones!
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

If it's so important for Microsoft's employees to use Windows Mobile phones, buy 'em the damned phones!

You do know that they have tried giving them away - right?
  • Reply 20 of 68
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:

I agree - I love Apple. I have a brand new MBP. But I don't have an iPod or an iPhone[AT&T-abomination]. But just b/c Apple is awesome, doesn't mean that good business practices should be pushed aside. You don't work for Yahoo and use Google search at work. You don't work for GM and drive a Honda to work...there was a recent story about a GM plant about to close and one of the workers driving a Honda to work. One day he came out and his car was demolished. Is that wrong? Yes. Should he have been smarter? Of course.