Apple to replace iPads in need of new battery for $99

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple said this week that it will offer a Battery Replacement Service for its new iPad tablet that is similar to the one offered for iPhones and iPods, only this time the company plans to replace the entire device rather than swap out its depleted battery.

"If your iPad requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge, Apple will replace your iPad for a service fee," the company said in a support document posted to its website. It added that data will not be preserved on iPads needing service because owners will "receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data."

The service will costs $99, plus $6.95 shipping, for a pre-tax total of $105.95 per unit. Apple estimates that it will take approximately one week from the time owners send in their iPad till they receive their replacement device.

"Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc," the company said. "Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad."

iPad battery replacement service may be arranged via a local Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or by contacting Apple Technical Support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 222
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm guessing those iPads taken in will subsequently be re-sold on their refurbished store.
  • Reply 2 of 222
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Says a lot about how much the actual hardware is worth... \
  • Reply 3 of 222
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Very smart.
  • Reply 4 of 222
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    The lack of a replaceable battery strikes again.

A new "battery", even though it means a different device, is a ripoff at over $100.
  • Reply 5 of 222
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    I wonder if there is something like this for the unibody MBP?--built in battery.
  • Reply 6 of 222
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    What they don't say in the support doc is for how long after purchase the policy will stand. Will they honor it once the iPad is out of warrantee or AppleCare?
  • Reply 7 of 222
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The lack of a replaceable battery strikes again.

Has never been an issue.
  • Reply 8 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Has never been an issue.

To You...
  • Reply 9 of 222
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

says nothing about how much the hardware is worth.
  • Reply 10 of 222
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    If the battery needs to be replaced, as long as the model of iPad you are trading in is available do you get a refurbished iPad? If the iPad model is no longer available, then do you have an option of upgrading for a modest amount? Best to keep your Apple Care.

My daughter had an old Black Model G3 PB that had problems that Apple wasn't able to fix after several trips to the Apple Store. Apple offered to upgrade her computer to a new white G3 PB for less than $100 since there were no more Black PB available for trade. Needless we took the deal. I wonder if the same will apply to the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 222
    Pardon me but doesn't the iPad not release for about another 3 weeks? And already there's a battery issue? What's going to pop up after release?
  • Reply 12 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

says nothing about how much the hardware is worth.

Really?

So I pay US 830.00 for a device that can be replaced for a mere US 100.00, and all's Even -Steven - \
  • Reply 13 of 222
    Quote:

All it says is the battery is worth a $100...how does it say anything about the cost of the other hardware?
  • Reply 14 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    $100 to trade in your current unit to a freshened device isn't so bad in my opinion, which is what looks like. Any scratches and scuffs in the face and case should go away.

What's the typical life of an iPod battery? My first iPod, a 20GB U2, still works just fine on its original battery. The same goes with my first generation nano. I used both daily for a couple years, often through a full work day. From an unrelated company, my 2004 Tapwave Zodiac, still holds charge. Its battery isn't an external snap-in, I think it requires soldering to replace, but I still don't need to do it. Now, I just recharge all these devices a few times a year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainyDayInterns View Post

All it says is the battery is worth a $100...how does it say anything about the cost of the other hardware?

I think all it really says is that the replaced battery and maybe exterior parts and labor are worth $100.
  • Reply 15 of 222
    Quote:

Really?

So I pay US 830.00 for a device that can be replaced for a mere US 100.00, and all's Even -Steven - \

huh? You GET another iPad...you do know that? The only difference is it has a new battery. In all likelihood, you get a NEW iPad. How is that a bad deal? Really...
  • Reply 16 of 222
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainyDayInterns View Post

no. it says the service costs $99.00. you don't know what apple is paying for labor. furthermore, you don't really even know why they're asking people to send the unit in. maybe they're looking to see if anyone has tinkered with it.
  • Reply 17 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfriese1 View Post

Pardon me but doesn't the iPad not release for about another 3 weeks? And already there's a battery issue? What's going to pop up after release?

So when there is a "replacement policy," there must be an issue? So by "not" providing a warranty should then be interpreted as the product will be free from defects...

Seriously folks...
  • Reply 18 of 222
    Quote:

no. it says the service costs $99.00. you don't know what apple is paying for labor. furthermore, you don't really even know why they're asking people to send the unit in. maybe they're looking to see if anyone has tinkered with it.

it says nothing about the cost of hardware...which is what WE were responding to.
  • Reply 19 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure the devices are sent in bulk to China for servicing & reconditioning, and those units are sent back for warranty replacements.
  • Reply 20 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfriese1 View Post

They do this for all their products. It's just the standard operating procedure. It's so that you know what to expect when the battery eventudally stops holding a charge. There are no issues with the battery.