Airport Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am helping a kind friend who has never used Apple before and has little money.

I am donating my Powerbook G4, got a new battery for it, and an Apple 20" monitor, but got hit in buying an older Airport base station.

I am using the current version of OS X. I cannot set up the airport device.

1. The Airport utility does not "see" the device.

2. On the visible networks, the network "blah-blah" comes up but is password protected.

????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    Could you please lets know which airport basestation model it is?

Also the system version being run which cannot see the old airport?

I will be able to help get it seen and working correctly for you.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    Thanks Rob !

Apple M8209LL/A 2.0 AirPort Base Station.

I know it is not an airport extreme, which I have, and I am running 10.5.8 on a MacBook Pro.

I think the Powerbook is running 10.1 or 10.2. My friend now has the laptop, and the Airport just arrived so that I am test it with 10.5.

PS I just got an Apple 30" monitor and LOVE it !
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Reset the airport. Near the ports there should be a toothpick sized hole. Stick a straightened paperclip in it (there's a button in there) and hold it for several seconds. This will reset the Airport to it's unprotected factory settings. You should then be able to access/configure it from Airport Utility.

Once you get it set up, there's no reason an older machine and OS won't work with it. (in fact any machine/OS that conforms to the 802.11 standard will work.)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Rested the airport. Near the ports there should be a toothpick sized hole. Stick a straightened paperclip in it (there's a button in there) and hold it for several seconds. This will reset the Airport to it's unprotected factory settings. You should then be able to access/configure it from Airport Utility.

Once you get it set up, there's no reason an older machine and OS won't work with it. (in fact any machine/OS that conforms to the 802.11 standard will work.)

I did this, think I held the button for several seconds, but the Aiport Utility (for OS 10.5) does not see the device.

I got it on eBay. Perhaps it is defective.

Thanks ! !
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I did this, think I held the button for several seconds, but the Aiport Utility (for OS 10.5) does not see the device.

I got it on eBay. Perhaps it is defective.

Thanks ! !

Was it plugged in when you reset it---it should be plugged in --
  • Reply 6 of 10
    It was absolutely plugged in.

Actually, it seemed to work for a while, as the lock on the network disappeared. Now it does not work again.

Now this is not smoke signals. I cannot believe it worked, then did not. Now it is locked. Note, I teach computer science)

Still, the Airport utility does not see it. If it did, I could easily reset everything.

I got old my own previous Airport device (before I got the current one, which allows wireless printing) and it is not locked (I never locked it). This does work, but the Utility does not see it either.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    One more---anti-intuitive thing---

Can you try it on another Apple computer?? to see if Airport utility recognizes it?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Odd...

I use the latest version of Airport Utility, and it is able to "see" and modify settings on an ORIGINAL Airport (802.11b, silver UFO)... so I don't think there's any sort of age/version compatibility issue.

It could very well be defective. Or we could just be missing some basic setting. If the re-set was successful, it would reset to an unlocked state.... with a random letter/number combination for the device "name".
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Hi there!

Do you know if the m8209ll/a airport work will work on the pc with no mac attached? I have an old one I want to give to some good friends but they are all PC. Wahhh for them. Any idea how to make this happen?

Thanks!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redhedoo7 View Post

Hi there!

Do you know if the m8209ll/a airport work will work on the pc with no mac attached? I have an old one I want to give to some good friends but they are all PC. Wahhh for them. Any idea how to make this happen?

Thanks!

Yes... It's just a wifi router like any other, only it has an Apple on it.

They'll need to install Apple's Airport management software on their pc to change settings.