34 hours with no sleep...interrsting things start to happenn

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited November 2015
I never went to sleep last night (up doing a project until 5:30...alarm goes off at six. I watched TV for thirty minutes because i was s afraid if i slept any, i woulnd't want to get back up again.

I'm all "fuzzy around the edges" and feel like I've had a whole lots of bbeers. I stood in the grocery store a while ago and just swayed badck and forth at the magazine rack.

I don't think i've ever gone this long with no sleep at all. Quite an odd sensation. I couldn't be a doctor and have to do those wild "36 on/36 off" emergency room hours, or whaetever it is they do.

STarting to hit me really good in the past half hour...there's NO WAY I'll make it to midnight.

I might not make it to the end of this post...

damnthatsexychick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 222
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Sleep Deprivation is one of the worst punishments that you can deal out without shedding blood. I'm going on 3 hours of sleep or so myself and I'm too lazy to do much of anything right now but post on AI. Ahhhh the fragile Human Brain...not enough sleep and your thinking becomes hazy...too much sleep and you feel droggy and tired. No wonder we Humans are an impatient lot.
  • Reply 2 of 222
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    you'll probably get some really wierd/vivid dreams when you go to sleep aswell. Whatever you miss one night in dreaming is actually 'made up' for over the next couple of nights. Apparently no one really knows why you dream, but there are a couple of good theories and research about it. Ive been reading a 1000page book on psychology, of which a fair chunk was on sleep/dreaming.

Sweet dreams, or not!

oh yeah, I forgot to say, if you force yourself to stay awake you will actually go to sleep *standing up*, and if you (or usually someone else) stopped even this then you will *die*!. However its unlikely to happen, as eventually you would get so tired that it would become the singularly most important bodily drive and you would go to sleep even if it meant sleeping in a ton of horse shit, basically you wouldn't care!

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 222
    Ah, you ain't felt nothin' until you've been up for THREE DAYS straight!

Aaaah, college. :cool:
  • Reply 4 of 222
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I haven't gone three full days, but I did do approximately 60 hours freshman year. You don't feel tired until you stop doing stuff, then it all drops on top of you.

Try reading something simple like a newspaper article and see if it makes snes to you. You won't be able to string words together into sentences.

Of course, when you lie down, it's the most relaxing pre-sleep feeling ever.
  • Reply 5 of 222
    I used to pull all-nighters in the last year of high school. Two twelve hour days back to back (school followed immediately by work) and no sleep inbetween really took its toll. Oh yeah, and the serious chronic illness I had that year didn't help.

I did this almost every night of the week. I would often sleep once every two days.

By the end of exams I was at the point of total physical and mental collapse.
  • Reply 6 of 222
    [grumpy old man voice]Bah! In my day, we spent 74 hours up at a time! One friend of mine spent 104 hours without sleep! Call back when you've worked 90 hours a week for 4 weeks![/grumpy old man voice]
  • Reply 7 of 222
    I deprived myself of sleep a few weeks ago. A matter of seconds after I finally got to sleep, I woke up in a confusing hell, partly based on a skateboarding game, in which my existence was dependent on spinning myself into a proper position, but I couldn't do it. I went downstairs, but could only say "I don't understand anything."

Over a period of about ten minutes I woke myself from the indefinite hell. Still not completely out, I went back downstairs, saying something like "There are too many skateboarders." I tried in vain to get back to sleep for about an hour, unable to think of anything but how to remove the skateboarders crossing my bed.

That experience, which was rather torturous, is still causing me mild flashbacks. I have a feeling that people will label this post as bullshit... sure comes off as it to me.
  • Reply 8 of 222
    [quote]That experience, which was rather torturous, is still causing me mild flashbacks. I have a feeling that people will label this post as bullshit... sure comes off as it to me.<hr></blockquote>

Nope. Not bullshit. Just painfully familar.
  • Reply 9 of 222
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    A few years ago i did a fund raiser for school were we stayed up @ school all night. I decided to attend class the next day. I remember sitting in english class copying a note from the board, but the not turned into a dream...I just remember the note being some strange story that involved cars. I guess i had been up for around 32h at that point...give or take.

I belive that is the longest i've stayed up i think it was around 34-36h until i was finally able to get some sleep.
  • Reply 10 of 222
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've always had trouble sleeping. worst i ever pulled was 67-68 hours straight. a friend had given me some pills to help me sleep, but they ended up having the exact opposite effect. really weird, i wasn't tired at all the entire time i was up, and actually had to make myself lie down to sleep after the 68th hour. i just started getting worried that i hadn't slept in so long, and they were showing reruns of croc hunter.

• Reply 11 of 222
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>I remember sitting in english class copying a note from the board, but the not turned into a dream...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate it when that happens!!

I mean, you think you are actually paying attention and not sleeping--until the teacher wakes you up with a not-very-impressed look on their face.... :eek:

It doesn't bode well for my grade in AP Euro...

Oh well...

-Paul
  • Reply 12 of 222
    janejane Posts: 68member
    Now let's try this not sleeping having a severe flu and traveling.

This happens to me 2 years ago when I had the flu; I could not sleep because I was excited about my trip and then in the morning I flew to San Francisco and spent the day visiting then went out for new year's eve then I slept 3 hours did some more visiting then went out in the evening drank some and then collapse. Lucky for me I was in San Francisco at the time; people help me back to my hotel room.
  • Reply 13 of 222
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    In my wilder youth I used to stay up for over three days straight, sometimes much more many times . . . .

This is the way the people I hung with used to socialize: three days in a row up all night talking and jamming on instruments and talking and spacing and talking . . .

after so long awake, with other people also feeling the same way, -with much 'assistance'- you really feel some things that you would not ordinarily feel...real extremes of thought and emotion . . .quite intense experiences that I half gladly leave to my younger days and half miss.
  • Reply 14 of 222
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think 34 hours is about the most I've done, and that took a concerted effort as I tend to be a sleep hound. How anyone could force themselves to stay awake for 36 hours, let alone 48 is beyond me. Caffeine and / or sugar would not do the trick for me at that point. I'd just drop like a stone. 'Cates, didn't you at least try to take some serious Dr. Pepper shots in an attempt to make it to midnight?

Aw hell, he probably won't be awake until tomorrow anyway so what am I asking for? *lol*

• Reply 15 of 222
    I've gone 72.5 hours. High school finals week sure has changed...

Insomnia is actually something I've struggled with for a long time... Well, long enough to make a short film about it... Check it out if you want:

<a href="http://www.urbanmastermind.com/urbanmastermind/insomniac.mov"; target="_blank">Hours Past the Midnight Streak</a> (31.5 MB)

Tell me what you think...
  • Reply 16 of 222
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It always takes me over an hour to fall asleep, sometimes more. That's the most annoying thing in my life about now...but it helps me burn off the calories, I guess...
  • Reply 17 of 222
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I finally fell asleep last night...at 11pm. Missed the new year and all.

BUT, I slept until about 9am this morning, so I guess 10 hours is pretty good (I usually get about 5 or 6).

I don't recall having any exceptionally weird, freaky dreams though. I dreamed about an alligator on my street and that my car was painted blue and I was really upset about it.

• Reply 18 of 222
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm the opposite, I love to sleep. It's too bad that working means you have to get up early every day.
  • Reply 19 of 222
    last spring i averaged 3-4 hours of sleep a night over a period of 4+ months. it sucked. you can't do much with the time you're awake when you sleep so little. ;|

this semester i had 3 extended periods of no sleep. the first was about 4 days long, watching a dozen movies and building a website about them (though i did pass out a few times in between). the second was about 2 days long, watching another dozen movies and writing a paper about them. the third was during finals week, 10 hours of playing warcraft followed by playing starcraft for more than 20 hours followed by 15 hours of parties parties, followed by a day of unconciousness followed by a final that didn't go very well.
  • Reply 20 of 222
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

I hate it when that happens!!

I mean, you think you are actually paying attention and not sleeping--until the teacher wakes you up with a not-very-impressed look on their face.... :eek:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sleep in class all the time. Usually teachers don't care. A few years ago i was sleeping in history class and i awoke to a tapping on my shoulder. I proceeded to yell at my friend explaining that i was trying 2 sleep. Then i turned around and realized that it was my teacher who had tapped me...