Safari compromised?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since the last Safari update (couple days ago, was it?) all Youtube videos refuse to run and I get admonished to "Go Upgrade!".

When I click I get this 'invitation' from Adobe to upgrade my Flash Player. Which I did not 3 days ago...!

Those Youtube videos run fine in Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, however! But none run in Safari anymore!

All this on an early 2009 17" MBP under OSX.5.8.

So what's going on here? Has my Safari been hijacked?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    All I know is it's crashing like crazy since the update.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    Which version of Flash Player Plugin are you using?

Are you running Safari 4.0.5?

Have you tried repairing the permissions as when updating flash player at any time screws up quite a few things and causes flash player not to work correctly.

Are any other sites affected when trying to play flash based videos?

Do you have Perian preference pane installed?

Perian can be found here and works really well ==> http://perian.org/
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

Which version of Flash Player Plugin are you using?

10.0 r45

Quote:

Are you running Safari 4.0.5?

Version 4.0.5 (5531.22.7)

Quote:

Have you tried repairing the permissions as when updating flash player at any time screws up quite a few things and causes flash player not to work correctly.

Yes

Quote:

Are any other sites affected when trying to play flash based videos?

Yes. All sites with Flash based videos eventually crash the browser they're played in. Be it Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. Safari did that too, after functioning for a while!

Haven't tried running Chatroulette for a while. That was a surefire crasher! After a while! Will try again.

Quote:

Do you have Perian preference pane installed?

Perian can be found here and works really well ==> http://perian.org/

No, not installed. Thanks, I'll have a look. What's it do?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional media:

* File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW

* Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture

* Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO

* AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3

* Subtitle support for SSA/ASS and SRT

I have found since i started using it things are less of a problem with sites like youtube and a few others.

One thing to try is uninstalling flash player via the unistaller found here ==> http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...player_osx.dmg

And the re-install the latest which is probably or more likely what you had installed but from what I have read may not have been installed correctly or got corrupted during install. The latest stable version can be found here

==> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

Repair the permissions after the re-install of flash player to fix the screw ups it causes and see if anything chnages.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Thanks, rob. Installed Perian, uninstalled Flash, re-installed Flash, am now Repairing Permissions, and will restart before making a fresh incremental backup.

So far so good, but my "Click-to-Flash" doesn't seem to work anymore.

Do you recommend I re-install it?

Thanks so far!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Click to Flash maybe behind your problems as it caused me quite a few issues and I am no longer using it.

Try without it and see what difference there is with youtube
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Running Youtube videos in Safari is still not possible... It still wants me to upgrade my Flash Player. Which I don't do, of course, But I haven't had another Flash-related crash yet, in Safari. Early days, though.

My other browsers (still) have no problems playing Youtube videos. My problem is definitely Safari-specific.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Can you please list the files in HD/Library/Internet Plugins for me?

There maybe something there that I see that could be a cause of the problems.

I will keep helping until we get it sorted out for you.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    Same problem here since today. Added youtube.com to the direct loading sites in the ClickToFlash preferences and now it works again.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Can you please list the files in HD/Library/Internet Plugins for me?

There maybe something there that I see that could be a cause of the problems.

I will keep helping until we get it sorted out for you.

OK, I appreciate that.

These are the contents of my 'Internet Plugins' folder:

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

CoolirisWebKitPlugin.plugin

Disabled Plug-Ins

DRM Plugin.bundle

Flash Player.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

JavaPluginCocoa.bundle

NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

PandoWebInst.plugin

Quartz Composer.webplugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.webplugin

RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

VerifiedDownloadPlugin.plugin

And what about amarone's suggestion?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I am not having any issues with Safari and YouTube. My iMac is finally running 10.6.2, and Software Update is current.

I have Flash Plug-In 10.0 r45.

10.0 r42 is in my Disabled Plug-Ins folder. All this is from Software Update.

On the other hand, while I have the Active GS Plug-In installed, I cannot use The Virtual Apple ][ website ( http://www.virtualapple.org/ ) with Safari. It will work with Firefox and Minefield.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    As an aside: I'm typing this on my iMac (OSX.5.8; Safari 4.0.5), which runs Youtube videos fine, whilst they don't on my MBP... \
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Your plugins all look fine.

When you updated Safari to 4.0.5 did you get asked to restart at the time the install finished?

One other thing to try is to re-install Safari 4.0.5 manually if it was done via software update as the install may not have been done fully or correctly which can at times happen.

Also try moving the following plugins to the desktop one by one to see if anything changes

RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

PandoWebInst.plugin

Each time you move one to the desktop start safari and see if it changes anything with youtube in any way. If things start to work it will be a plugin moved out.

I know from some use that silverlight.plugin is nothing but problems for me with safari and firefox as a lot of pages and videos don't load correctly.

Another thing to try is setup a second user account on your mac and test youtuibe via it to see if it works correctly via another account there could be a small possibility there is something wrong with your user account. This will at least rule it in or out as being a cause.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Your plugins all look fine.

When you updated Safari to 4.0.5 did you get asked to restart at the time the install finished?

No, it told me (no asking) that a restart would be required to install the update, and when I OK-ed that the system proceeded to log out, do the update installation, and then restarted. In that order.

Quote:

One other thing to try is to re-install Safari 4.0.5 manually if it was done via software update as the install may not have been done fully or correctly which can at times happen.

Also try moving the following plugins to the desktop one by one to see if anything changes

RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

PandoWebInst.plugin

Each time you move one to the desktop start safari and see if it changes anything with youtube in any way. If things start to work it will be a plugin moved out.

I know from some use that silverlight.plugin is nothing but problems for me with safari and firefox as a lot of pages and videos don't load correctly.

Another thing to try is setup a second user account on your mac and test youtuibe via it to see if it works correctly via another account there could be a small possibility there is something wrong with your user account. This will at least rule it in or out as being a cause.

Thanks for those suggestions, rob. It will obviously take some time to work through those. I'll report back with results.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    This is strange! Now Youtube works again in Safari on my MBP! It didn't an hour ago! And I hadn't yet begun implementing your recommendations, rob! (Or done any other maintenance on the system!). So I hypothesized for a moment it might have something to do with a setting at my ISP. But the MBP is on the same ISP as my iMac is connected through, only from a different location, 10 miles away.

I'm stumped (but not complaining)! Can't make heads or tails of this...

If I can hold out long enough without throwing up I'll test at Chatroulette, because in my experience that is a surefire Flash crasher. After a while (probably a memory leak or some such)!

Well, Chatroulette doesn't rotate properly and freezes all the time today (when 'nexting' to other 'partners'), so I'll have to try again tomorrow.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    A mate of mine, who runs Win7 and Firefox, now has exactly the same problem: Youtube videos are refused to run and Youtube suggests to update Flash, which is already totally up-to-date!

Flash is obviously bad news.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I was silly enough to update Safari this week.

Have had Safari crashes since Snow Leopard was installed and hoped this might fix them.

Its worse now. Safari is going faster but the whole machine freezes 3 or 4 times a day even when the only app running is Safari.

When am I going to learn not to be an early adopter.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

When am I going to learn not to be an early adopter.

Indeed!

I've managed to hold off upgrading to SL sofar, and haven't regretted it yet! I don't like running a Beta OS.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Indeed!

I've managed to hold off upgrading to SL sofar, and haven't regretted it yet! I don't like running a Beta OS.

What if the problem is with Adobe? I have 10.6.2. Safari is up-to-date. No crashes. But: Installed Shockwave yesterday to play a game with. Was told Safari would have to run in 32-bit mode. Easy enough to do, but why? So I checked out the same game with Minefield. Within minutes, the game locked up Minefield. In the early stages of 10.5, I had no issues with Shockwave. Love my Big Bass Fishing! But Shockwave, and a day of fishing, was a no go by about 10.5.6.

So, it may not be OS X, but instead Adobe.

Same goes for Firefox. No go with Google Chrome. Not even gonna try Opera or Camino.

Yep, me thinks it be Adobe.