Mac vs. PC boot time comparison

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
These guys are doing a series of Mac vs. PC experience comparison videos. Check out the first one, which focuses on boot time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TajW_Wbdc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsoft View Post

These guys are doing a series of Mac vs. PC experience comparison videos. Check out the first one, which focuses on boot time

Don't say 'these guys' when you use the same username as the Youtube poster. You uploaded the video so presumably it's you in the video getting someone to film you making a bad parody of Mac/PC comparisons.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    I guess only a Windoze user would think to compare a 10+ year old Mac to a modern notebook.

After watching the clip, I fired up my nearly 10 year old iBook 466SE, and it beat the Lenovo...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Pointless and lame 'comparison' and extremely amateurish 'filming'. Never heard of a tripod, bsoft?

Must be an attempt at 'humor'. Don't quit your day job just yet.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I can lend you a MacPlus with an 8MHz chip that will boot even more slowly.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Well I can't see the video because of a firewall, but given the comments I'll assume the PC boots quicker than the Mac.

From my personal experience, my five-year-old, 12" PowerBook boots faster than any PC I've ever owned or used, past or present, from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, on desktops and laptops.

It's amazing how well this site draws Apple haters. I don't mind thoughtful criticism of Apple or Macs, but I wish the haters would just go away.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I guess only a Windoze user would think to compare a 10+ year old Mac to a modern notebook.

After watching the clip, I fired up my nearly 10 year old iBook 466SE, and it beat the Lenovo...

^

THIS

Was this "comparison" a joke?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    You've got to be kidding! Does sorta make me miss my old iMac G3 350. She was Blueberry. I had OS 9 with 64 Megs of RAM. It would have booted just as fast as the Lenovo. The clock on the iMac was probably wrong because it was sitting in a closet for years. My iMac would be ten years of age now. The original 233 Bondi Blue is more than that. Again, you have got to be kidding me! Show me a W98 box boot time, and we can all have a good laugh!!!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Even if they were comparable, I never understood the significance of saying one computer boots up faster than another computer. I mean, do people still shutdown their computers when they're not using them? Maybe if you travel through airport security a lot or something....I don't know, I never understood it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Even if they were comparable, I never understood the significance of saying one computer boots up faster than another computer. I mean, do people still shutdown their computers when they're not using them? Maybe if you travel through airport security a lot or something....I don't know, I never understood it.

Windows boxes constantly need re-booting; thus the importance of start-up times.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

^

THIS

Was this "comparison" a joke?

No, the 466 mhz, 576 MB RAM iBook beat the Lenovo by 9 seconds.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    My 450MHz G4 Cube boots to a usable desktop faster than any Windows PC we have at home, and we've got plenty of them.

The MacBook I gave my sister boots even faster now that it has Snow Leopard.

I have Linux, Mac and Windows at home and use them all the time and I prefer Macs. I'll be getting a Mac mini once I get my iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    drjedidrjedi Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, in fact, you should shut down your computer when not using it. Sleep mode still sucks power and it's doing nothing productive with that power. And as an Intel Mac user that likes to play games, I boot my computer often since I find I'm gaming in Windows more and more.