39% of BlackBerry owners say they'd switch to an iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new study found that nearly half of all BlackBerry owners would be likely to switch to another smartphone, with a majority of those eyeing Apple's iPhone.

A study released this week from Crowd Science found that 39 percent of BlackBerry owning respondents said they "definitely or probably would" switch to an iPhone if they had to buy a new handset "tomorrow." Another 29 percent said they were unsure, while 31 percent are unlikely to buy Apple's handset.

The survey carried even more good news for Apple, as 92 percent of iPhone users said they are satisfied with their purchase and would likely make their next smartphone another iPhone.

Users of the Google Android mobile operating system were also satisfied, with 87 percent saying they would buy another Android handset. In addition, 34 percent of BlackBerry owners would strongly consider buying an Android phone if they were to make an immediate purchase.

The study also found that 97 percent of iPhone users would recommend the product to their friends, and 52 percent of BlackBerry owners and 51 percent of other smartphone users would recommend the iPhone to others.

The study was of 1,140 respondents recruited via the Crowd Science Sample Beta program from Web sites serving more than 20 million unique visitors. Totaling 44 percent, most respondents were users of a traditional cellphone rather than a smartphone. iPhone users represented 17 percent of those polled, BlackBerry users amounted to 15 percent, Nokia 10 percent, Windows Mobile 4 percent, Android 3 percent and Palm 2 percent.

It's not the first study to find astronomically high satisfaction rates with the iPhone. Last August, one survey found that 99 percent of respondents said they were overwhelmingly satisfied with the latest iPhone model.

In fact, when compared with other companies in surveys, the Cupertino, Calif. company consistently outperforms its competitors in customer satisfaction and service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    And in another survey, 96% said they would prefer a chocolate milkshake over a poke in the eye.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    If it wasn't on the AT&T network.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    I am surprised 13% of Android users are ready to bail...

Must all be male.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Bye bye, Google!
  • Reply 5 of 100
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    1140 respondents. You can sometimes infer some things from small samples with statistical confidence, but in this case the heavy data splits perhaps gives it too much weight.
  • Reply 6 of 100
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Been some dissatisfaction in the RIM camp with the Tour I-Tour II with Verizon. My daughter was thinking of a Tour II and read in CrackBerry that some who just bought a Tour I were not happy of the life cycle of the Tour I. Also some OS upgrade issues.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    For what it's worth, I'm quite satisfied with my iPhone and recommend it to others whenever I get the chance. I switched from a BB Curve last February ('09) and though it's a bit apples and oranges (no pun intended), the iPhone totally smokes the Curve IMO. I know numerous people who'd get iPhones tomorrow if it was available on Verizon.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Bye bye, Google!

Android users were nearly as likely to go with another Android-based phone.
  • Reply 9 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

For what it's worth, I'm quite satisfied with my iPhone and recommend it to others whenever I get the chance. I switched from a BB Curve last February ('09) and though it's a bit apples and oranges (no pun intended), the iPhone totally smokes the Curve IMO. I know numerous people who'd get iPhones tomorrow if it was available on Verizon.

Do you do a lot of texting? My daughter likes her BB Curve since it's easier to use than an iPhone for texting--she likes the raised keys rather than iPhone's virtual keys--less errors.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    A good texting machine with an OS that looks and acts like a dog's breakfast.

The BB's advantage as a "good texter" and "good e-mailer" is slowly eroding. Time for more twofer giveaways.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Do you do a lot of testing? My daughter likes her BB Curve since it's easier to use than an iPhone for texting--she likes the raised keys rather than iPhone's virtual keys--less errors.

But doesn't she use the auto spell?
  • Reply 12 of 100
    iPhone OS 4 life!
  • Reply 13 of 100
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Do you do a lot of testing? My daughter likes her BB Curve since it's easier to use than an iPhone for texting--she likes the raised keys rather than iPhone's virtual keys--less errors.

Please don't. This post means nothing and you know it. If she spent 1 day with an iPhone she'd be typing faster. It happens to everyone, so your kid is likely no exception.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    I really want to get a iPhone but they are only available on AT&T which has a terrible network in my area. They don't even have 3G service here. If they are ever available through Verizon then I will be sure to get one.
  • Reply 15 of 100
    rocutrocut Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I am surprised 13% of Android users are ready to bail...

Must all be male.

Are you surprised that 24% of iPhone users are ready to bail for the Android as well?
  • Reply 16 of 100
    rocutrocut Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Bye bye, Google!

Why would I say bye bye to open up running multiple applications at once?
  • Reply 17 of 100
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Please don't. This post means nothing and you know it. If she spent 1 day with an iPhone she'd be typing faster. It happens to everyone, so your kid is likely no exception.

No it doesn't. You cannot say that 100% of all people would type faster on a soft keyboard after 1 day. I know several people who used an iPhone for a couple of weeks and never got the handle on typing on it. They returned it for something with a hard keyboard. Whenever I am on call, using the company blackberry after a day or so gets me typing faster on it than on the iPhone.

I go to mobiletypingtest.com and get about 45 wpm on a hard keyboard and about 40 on a soft keyboard, and that's with autocorrect enabled on the iPhone. The blackberry has it disabled.
  • Reply 18 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

But doesn't she use the auto spell?

She doesn't use have an iPhone. Sometimes auto spell misses errors and can be a headache when you mean what you input and auto spell tells you different.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nuh uh. At least, not from my experience, which is a lot. I used a blackberry for years before switching over to Android having considered the iPhone. I've been using a virtual keyboard for a year, and it is decidedly not as efficient as the berry. Whether that's a deal breaker for any given user is up for debate.

Overall, I think that it still comes down to use. If your focus is web or media based then you should go with iPhone or Android. If your focus is email or text, then a berry is definitely nicer to use. I would seriously consider switching back to blackberry for the new pearl 9100 that's due. It's virtually invisible, and dependable to a fault if it's like any other blackberry out there.

My $0.02.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No it doesn't. You cannot say that 100% of all people would type faster on a soft keyboard after 1 day. I know several people who used an iPhone for a couple of weeks and never got the handle on typing on it. They returned it for something with a hard keyboard. Whenever I am on call, using the company blackberry after a day or so gets me typing faster on it than on the iPhone.

I go to mobiletypingtest.com and get about 45 wpm on a hard keyboard and about 40 on a soft keyboard, and that's with autocorrect enabled on the iPhone. The blackberry has it disabled.

Not to mention I often sound retarded if I whip off a text message quickly. I should start a file of creative interpretations of what I meant to say as delivered by autocorrect. Most recent one was this morning when "Holy crap!" became "Holy veal!". Quite amusing, but not what I intended.