Apple delays iPad keyboard dock, power adapter until May

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Originally scheduled to ship soon after the iPad launch in April, both the keyboard dock and 10W USB power adapter for Apple's tablet computer now have estimated ship dates sometime in the month of May.

In addition, the $39 iPad soft case, which was originally scheduled to ship on April 3 when preorders began last Friday, has been delayed until mid-April. The $69 keyboard dock was originally scheduled to ship in mid-April, and the $29 USB power adapter in late April.

Estimated shipping dates for the iPad dock ($29) and dock connector to VGA adapter ($29) remain unchanged and on schedule for the April 3 launch. In addition, the Apple in-ear headphones with remote and microphone still ship within 24 hours for $79.

Last Friday, Apple began accepting preorders for the iPad, set to launch on April 3. However, the company limited purchases two two per customer, for both regular consumers and businesses.

Apple sales representatives confirmed last week that initial orders for both businesses and consumers are limited to two per person. In addition, AppleInsider received word that the number of iPads shipped to each retail store location will be based solely on the number reserved for pickup at that store. In other words, fewer in-store reservations will mean a lighter stock of hardware.

While the Wi-Fi-only iPad is set to launch in the U.S. on April 3, the 3G-capable model, which carries a $130 premium, will go on sale later that month. In addition, international orders for both the Wi-Fi and 3G models will be filled in late April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    This really blows. I wonder what the holdup is? I hope this does not turn into tethering for the IPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    I doubt it. It's probably just a manufacturing issue... I bet they're expecting a large amount of orders for these accessories So they're stockpiling them until they can build up enough stock to sell them in volume.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Ok, this is an article waiting for a misunderstanding. The orders are NOT delayed. Rather, Apple ships the products once they're made. This means that people have currently bought all stock to be produced in April (in the case of the keyboard and power adapter) and Apple will ship ones purchased now when they are available, meaning after they are produced. There is no delay, just limited quantities. It's called first come, first served. You buy late, you receive late.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Doesn't a 10W power adapter ship in the box with the iPad? That's what it says on the Apple Store page. But then what appears to be the same adapter is listed under accessories. So, that is confusing.

Also, isn't this the same power adapter that works for the iPhone? Or not?
  • Reply 5 of 54
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Ah yes, the must have new product fever I had for the iPad has now dissipated with all these product delays.

I realize I'm a "Pro User" and have more mature computing needs and thus need a real computer, not a device dependent upon one. I also can get e-books on my MBP which has a nice non-reflective screen and stands all by itself, no extra leg help needed.

However if I know if any of my friends who have young children where the iPad would be of assistance I certainly will point them into that direction. Eventually those children will need to learn a real windows based GUI to function in society and get a job, so the sooner they transfer to a MacBook the better. But until then, a little extra structure doesn't hurt.

A Mac Tablet the iPad is not, although Apple tries to cleverly market it like that.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    I know some other sites are selling iPad accessories like cases, sleeves, chargers and adapters, but can one buy 3rd party keyboard docks or camera kits?
  • Reply 7 of 54
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Ah yes, the must have new product fever I had for the iPad has now dissipated.

I realize I'm a "Pro User" and have more mature computing needs and thus need a real computer, not a device dependent upon one. I also can get e-books on my MBP which has a nice non-reflective screen and stands all by itself, no extra leg help needed.

However if I know if any of my friends who have young children where the iPad would be of assistance I certainly will point them into that direction.

However eventually those children will need to learn a real windows based GUI to function in society and get a job, so the sooner they transfer to a MacBook the better.

good for you. betcha you have one by xmas!
  • Reply 8 of 54
    I thought the reason Apple pulled out of macworld was so they could release their products whenever they want and when they are ready to go.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    I just checked my order and there has been no change in delivery dates. They are still quoting April 3rd for the case, April 15th for the dock and late April for the iPad 3G+WiFi. It appears the new dates are only for subsequent orders.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    I just called Apple and they confirmed that my orders of 2 iPads, 2 cases and 1 dock will be shipped on time and that only subsequent orders that have been submitted after the date the iPads went on sale will be delayed. This is purely another example of demand outstripping supply. Good news for me though, sorry for those who waited.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    I bet Apple is waiting to get it right. It will be SO worth it tho!
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Yes, this doesn't make sense. If it's the same power adapter as the iPhone, you can buy extra ones (with cable) anytime anywhere - right now. Soooo - what the hell is AppleInsider (or the source) talking about?

I smell a FUD-stock play.

As far as the keyboard - haven't seen any disruptions on the store - but I don't see why you use a "dock" keyboard instead of the wireless bluetooth one anyway. Unless you're trying to relive Apple II nostalgia having the CPU welded to your keyboard.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad View Post

This really blows. I wonder what the holdup is? I hope this does not turn into tethering for the IPhone.

This has nothing to do with and is not remotely similar to tethering. I've had tethering since Apple enabled it. Your gripe is with AT&T. These keyboard docks are likely just demand outstripping the supply.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farshad View Post

Jobs has gone on public record that the ipad will not tether. Officially. what the jailbreaking community comes up with is as always a different story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdmedia View Post

Also, isn't this the same power adapter that works for the iPhone? Or not?

I chatted someone at the online store and they say no. This adapter will work with the phone but the phone one will not work with the ipad. my guess is a different in Wattage but I didn't think to ask.

and yes one comes in the box. this is just talking about the standalones you might buy to have a spare or one at home and one at the office.

[QUOTE=Smiles77;1591672]This means that people have currently bought all stock to be produced in April (in the case of the keyboard and power adapter) and Apple will ship ones purchased now when they are available, meaning after they are produced./QUOTE]

that's what I was thinking also. the keyboard dock in particular is likely a hot item. They probably alloted a certain number of everything to the stores and what was left for online has been bought. which is why my order is still reading the same ship dates as when I placed it on Friday.

Quote:

Eventually those children will need to learn a real windows based GUI to function in society and get a job,

Assuming of course that 'society' when they get to that point still looks like today. It's possible that it won't and the 'real' gui you speak of will be going the way of the dinosaurs and dodos.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lehmanlaw View Post

I just called Apple and they confirmed that my orders of 2 iPads, 2 cases and 1 dock will be shipped on time and that only subsequent orders that have been submitted after the date the iPads went on sale will be delayed. This is purely another example of demand outstripping supply. Good news for me though, sorry for those who waited.

Only 1 dock?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    I think the reason is probably because Apple expected a similar attach rate (attachments bought per iPad) as on the iPhone, but anecdotally, I am pretty sure that the iPad will have a ridiculously high attach rate.

I think Apple was surprised by the number of attachments that were preordered.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I thought the reason Apple pulled out of macworld was so they could release their products whenever they want and when they are ready to go.

That was the excuse, but I think it either came down to a matter of money or someone ticking off Teh Steve.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I suspect the suppliers Apple relies upon is eyeballing Apple's $40 billion cash hoard and is applying pressure.

As you notice, there are a lot of accessories associated with the iPad, all the more avenues of supplier exploitation. For example if a supplier agrees to take less than they intended to provide products for Apple, then they have to take more time to get the costs down and incurs delays.

The old saying goes:

Cheap, Fast, Quality. Pick two, the third option suffers.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Ah yes, the must have new product fever I had for the iPad has now dissipated with all these product delays.

However if I know if any of my friends who have young children where the iPad would be of assistance I certainly will point them into that direction. Eventually those children will need to learn a real windows based GUI to function in society and get a job, so the sooner they transfer to a MacBook the better. But until then, a little extra structure doesn't hurt.

A Mac Tablet the iPad is not, although Apple tries to cleverly market it like that.

A Pro user with more mature needs? Wow. I'm impressed. Can I give you some money? How about a hummer?

Look, this is about accessories, not about the use cases for the iPad. We get that you don't like it, don't want it, and have a very narrow view about what a computer is and must be. Fine. You're very mature, and very pro. Mmmm, sexy. But you're commenting on the wrong article. What's your goal in trying to convince us that the iPad is so lame and childish? To show off your impressive resume? To garner karma points? That's slashdot, dude, this is Appleinsider. Or are you here with ulterior motives?

I'm a more mature user than you are, and I need an iPad. It's going to be very useful for me. I'm sure my wife and kids will like it too. We'll enjoy using it together, separately, and in various parts of the house. We'll all be very mature about it, too. And professional. And we'll just have to all commit suicide at 18 because we won't be able to get jobs because we're too stupid to use the very mature and very professional window-based GUIs that have been the key to human success throughout history. Thanks for letting me know how futile the rest of my life will be. It's AI readers like you who make this site what it is. Sadly.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archie Goodwin View Post

A Pro user with more mature needs? Wow. I'm impressed. Can I give you some money? How about a hummer?

Look, this is about accessories, not about the use cases for the iPad. We get that you don't like it, don't want it, and have a very narrow view about what a computer is and must be. Fine. You're very mature, and very pro. Mmmm, sexy. But you're commenting on the wrong article. What's your goal in trying to convince us that the iPad is so lame and childish? To show off your impressive resume? To garner karma points? That's slashdot, dude, this is Appleinsider. Or are you here with ulterior motives?

I'm a more mature user than you are, and I need an iPad. It's going to be very useful for me. I'm sure my wife and kids will like it too. We'll enjoy using it together, separately, and in various parts of the house. We'll all be very mature about it, too. And professional. And we'll just have to all commit suicide at 18 because we won't be able to get jobs because we're too stupid to use the very mature and very professional window-based GUIs that have been the key to human success throughout history. Thanks for letting me know how futile the rest of my life will be. It's AI readers like you who make this site what it is. Sadly.

Thank you. Well said.