Apple delays iPad keyboard dock, power adapter until May

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That was the excuse, but I think it either came down to a matter of money or someone ticking off Teh Steve.

According to what I read the promoters of MacWorld needed to move to Boston because it was costing too much in NY City.

Apple wasn't doing too well at the time and Steve insisted it stay in NY because it looked like a forced retreat moving it to Boston, but couldn't/wouldn't pony up the difference. He rightfully thought that Apple just being there at MacWorld made the whole thing work and why have to pay more.

So Steve pulled out and MacWorld declined as expected. The latest MacWorld show had a skit where actors reenacted Steve Jobs when he was forced out of Apple by John Scully, a obvious revenge insult to the proud Steve Jobs for pulling out of MacWorld.

I think it was a pecking order thing, Steve was cleaning house of anyone that really kept Apple alive while he was gone from the company.

The resellers got hit too.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Assuming of course that 'society' when they get to that point still looks like today. It's possible that it won't and the 'real' gui you speak of will be going the way of the dinosaurs and dodos.

I though about that too and one has to remember a cursor based OS gives such fine control a finger can really never duplicate. These and other features really can't be duplicated with present touch UI.

Apple is working on other technologies that cameras track a finger point across the screen instead of actually touching the screen and blocking the view.

There has been complaints the iPad lacks a file system, delete the app and you delete all the files with it. Can't move files on the device neither.

So the Touch UI is still a bit immature, I give it some time and new technology and it will come around back to being a like cursor based UI eventually.

People are going to need more control over the screen, especially artists.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I suspect the suppliers Apple relies upon is eyeballing Apple's $40 billion cash hoard and is applying pressure.

As you notice, there are a lot of accessories associated with the iPad, all the more avenues of supplier exploitation. For example if a supplier agrees to take less than they intended to provide products for Apple, then they have to take more time to get the costs down and incurs delays.

The old saying goes:

Cheap, Fast, Quality. Pick two, the third option suffers.

Remember when everyone was calling a single buyer market unfair (to the flash industry). I guess this just proves they were wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Don't you really need the dock if you are going to use the keyboard? I guess if you have it in the case and you use it in landscape mode tilted up, it would work okay. Just seems like when "typing" I'd want the iPad in portrait mode so I can get more text on a standard looking page.

As much as I want one, and have the apple gift cards to purchase one, I am going to wait until these things are freely available for sale with the accessories I want. I'm sure its going to be great, since the iPod Touch is not first generation and all, but I'm still willing to risk having to wait a few weeks or months in order to see how everybody loves their product... it'll make it that much more exciting to buy.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

According to what I read the promoters of MacWorld needed to move to Boston because it was costing too much in NY City.

Apple wasn't doing too well at the time and Steve insisted it stay in NY because it looked like a forced retreat moving it to Boston, but couldn't/wouldn't pony up the difference. He rightfully thought that Apple just being there at MacWorld made the whole thing work and why have to pay more.

So Steve pulled out and MacWorld declined as expected. The latest MacWorld show had a skit where actors reenacted Steve Jobs when he was forced out of Apple by John Scully, a obvious revenge insult to the proud Steve Jobs for pulling out of MacWorld.

I think it was a pecking order thing, Steve was cleaning house of anyone that really kept Apple alive while he was gone from the company.

The resellers got hit too.

The strong resellers survived, the others would have been taken out by big boxes anyway. Personally I'd rather have the Apple Store.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archie Goodwin View Post

A Pro user with more mature needs? Wow. I'm impressed. Can I give you some money? How about a hummer?....

Ever wonder why old drunks act like children? Because they are so intoxicated all the time they fail to engage the world around them and mature.

Sound familiar?

Now you see the correlation with the iPad.

The conditioning of human intelligence and problem solving is also dependent upon the environment they engage in.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

The strong resellers survived, the others would have been taken out by big boxes anyway. Personally I'd rather have the Apple Store.

Yes some did, the resellers offer a advantage to businesses and schools Apple simply doesn't pay much attention to with their strictly retail approach.

After all, it's the local resellers that supported publishing with Mac's. If you called Apple at that time, that's who they referred your business too.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    I think I'll be happy with it out of the box. No rush on the accesories.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    This makes me glad I went with the regular iPad dock and a wireless keyboard.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:

I realize I'm a "Pro User" and have more mature computing needs and thus need a real computer, not a device dependent upon one.

Can you objectively define what a "mature computer use" is?

This reeks of more like a condescending way of saying you have different uses than other people.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

I think I'll be happy with it out of the box. No rush on the accesories.

Totally agree with you here. I'll be happy enough with the unit for starters. I'll worry about accessories after that. Wonder if they'll have giant screen protectors for it like they have for the iPhone and iPods and if so, will they have matte and glossy options as well.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lehmanlaw View Post

I just called Apple and they confirmed that my orders of 2 iPads, 2 cases and 1 dock will be shipped on time and that only subsequent orders that have been submitted after the date the iPads went on sale will be delayed. This is purely another example of demand outstripping supply. Good news for me though, sorry for those who waited.

File under "useful information," which seems to cancel out many of the other comments in this thread.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    One accessory left out of this update is the Camera Connection Kit. It isn't even available for preorder on the site. I wish they would give some indication as to when that would be available.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Ok, this is an article waiting for a misunderstanding. The orders are NOT delayed. Rather, Apple ships the products once they're made. This means that people have currently bought all stock to be produced in April (in the case of the keyboard and power adapter) and Apple will ship ones purchased now when they are available, meaning after they are produced. There is no delay, just limited quantities. It's called first come, first served. You buy late, you receive late.

Your post makes a lot of sense. (Of course, as a result, it will be ignored, since people would have nothing to ague about).
  • Reply 35 of 54
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdmedia View Post

Doesn't a 10W power adapter ship in the box with the iPad? That's what it says on the Apple Store page. But then what appears to be the same adapter is listed under accessories. So, that is confusing.

Also, isn't this the same power adapter that works for the iPhone? Or not?

many people buy a second power adapter so they can keep one in the bag in case they forget to grab the one from home.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Ever notice that the people that think they're the smartest generally aren't? Prefect case in point with WooHoo. You imply that the iPad will somehow dumb us all down while the windows based GUI environment makes us smarter, or sorry, more mature. I'm sure plenty of people felt the same way about the GUI interface when it started to replace working with a command prompt. Ever consider that IF, and it's a big if, interfaces like the iPhone OS become the standard it may make us more efficient in our computing? Yes, there is still work to be done on the touch interface, but it is evolving very quickly now that it has gained acceptance. I'd expect more of the same in the future. "Pro" users, whatever that means to you, will always have the tools they need to do their jobs, and the iPad or similar devices is not meant to replace your laptop or PC yet. I pre-ordered one because I'll use it for times that I don't want to lug my MBP with me. Does it do everything that my MBP or iMac can do? No, and nor do I expect it to. People get so hung up on this "I'm a pro user so I fall into a superior class of computer users" thing. I use my MBP for all aspects of work and some side web design work. Does that mean I'm a pro user? Who really cares anyway. Just buy what you want/need. It's none of our business what you want/need just as it's not your place to judge those of others.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Ever wonder why old drunks act like children? Because they are so intoxicated all the time they fail to engage the world around them and mature.

Sound familiar?

Now you see the correlation with the iPad.

The conditioning of human intelligence and problem solving is also dependent upon the environment they engage in.

That's..... an extremely odd metaphor. And no, I really, really do not see the correlation, beyond "iPad bad like other bad things."
  • Reply 38 of 54
    switzswitz Posts: 6member
    My order was completed at 6:31 am MST on Friday, or one minute after the starting gun. Nothing has changed in the order status page for my selected accessories:

iPad 64Gb WiFi delivers 3 Apr

Keyboard Dock ships 15 Apr delivers 20 Apr

Case ships by 3 Apr

plain dock ships by 3 Apr

spare power brick ships late Apr

Thus first come, first served get the initial inventory. Later orders get stuff as it comes into the Apple supply channels. Sounds like normal business practice to me.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That's..... an extremely odd metaphor. And no, I really, really do not see the correlation, beyond "iPad bad like other bad things."

Seems clear to me. Some of us are in danger of enjoying ourselves without permission.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    I admit I'm not a Pro User with "mature computing needs" (I just want to finish my novel-in-progress which is under contract to Alfred A. Knopf/Random House) and am hoping to do it with Pages on the iPad, so that I can actually enjoy the process. Totally frivolous, I know.

But I feel obliged to comment on the following sentence.

Quote:

This kind of thing makes me feel like I'm dealing with the Smartest Man in the World in "The Princess Bride."

First of all, the word "they" in this sentence has no antecedent. Who are the "they" you're talking about? The subject is "conditioning," a singular noun. There is no plural noun anywhere. So you've got this "they" hanging out there, signifying nothing, apparently. Bad form, sir.

Secondly, what in the world does this sentence mean? I think I get, in a vague sort of way, what you're struggling to say here. Do you mean something like:

"Human intelligence and understanding are conditioned by environment."

... or something along those lines?

If you were my student, I'd suggest working a little harder to express your ideas in a way that ordinary, intelligent people can understand. You might find Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" useful in this regard.

If you were my friend, I'd try to find a polite way to tell you that you are coming across as a pompous ass, and making yourself look foolish in the process. Rather like the Summoner in Chaucer who knows three phrases in Latin and uses them repeatedly to impress everyone by how smart he is. The guy is actually an agreeable sort, at heart. But he does try the reader's patience.