First-gen iPhone, Droid sold 8 times better than Nexus One debut

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

Not sure about light years. Maybe a couple of months. I'm sure the next rev iPhone will best it on specs AND build quality (which is really important when you use it almost constantly like may folk.

Hardware is irrelevant. Typically the latest released phone will have better hardware then the last release (that is if the phone wants to be a competitor in this space).

Its been a few months since I graduated to the smart phone world. My main deciding factor in choosing my phone was the network. I have been a Verizon customer (ATT before that) for 4 years now and I am very happy with the quality of service.

I was often very very close to switching to ATT for the iPhone. Believe me, it was a daily internal battle.

Then the Droid dropped and I went to Verizon and checked it out and ended up buying one. Its obviously not the prettiest device and the operating system could use tweaks, but there were a lot of things I did like.

I love and use daily the multitasking abilities, the voice google/maps search, gtalk, and google voice.

As a consumer I have very little brand loyalty. When my contract is up with Verizon once again I really do hope there is a Verizon iphone waiting for me. However, what I really want is both Apple and Google to push each other to give us consumers more features and options. I believe if any one company dominates this industry its bad for all of us no matter if thats the company you like best.

--- sorry for the rant
  • Reply 62 of 96
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

The thing with the so called "tech crowd" is, in the grand scheme of things, their opinion really doesn't matter.

Correct. When your goal is to target hundreds of millions of people you have to realize after 500k tech junkies the rest are general consumers.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android Apple Guy View Post

Hardware is irrelevant. Typically the latest released phone will have better hardware then the last release (that is if the phone wants to be a competitor in this space).

Its been a few months since I graduated to the smart phone world. My main deciding factor in choosing my phone was the network. I have been a Verizon customer (ATT before that) for 4 years now and I am very happy with the quality of service.

I was often very very close to switching to ATT for the iPhone. Believe me, it was a daily internal battle.

Then the Droid dropped and I went to Verizon and checked it out and ended up buying one. Its obviously not the prettiest device and the operating system could use tweaks, but there were a lot of things I did like.

I love and use daily the multitasking abilities, the voice google/maps search, gtalk, and google voice.

As a consumer I have very little brand loyalty. When my contract is up with Verizon once again I really do hope there is a Verizon iphone waiting for me. However, what I really want is both Apple and Google to push each other to give us consumers more features and options. I believe if any one company dominates this industry its bad for all of us no matter if thats the company you like best.

--- sorry for the rant

Unless you're constantly on the move and haven't a clue about your local area the average person isn't using GMaps daily for their life. They learn to use it and move on with the occasional need to find a place if they don't recognize the address. Even in a city the size of Seattle, I drove around for the first two weeks I lived there to familiarize myself with the area. I did the same in San Fran/SF Bay and Orlando Florida. Jumping to my phone was the last resort when you know the area.

For a traveler it can be useful and for a Real Estate agent needing to do some work and printing out fliers with a GMap section is helpful, but not something I need to do my job.

I'm not eating out daily and in need of 8 Sushi restaurants trying to decide which place I want to go and how far away is it from me. I know my area.

I sure as hell spent several years [back in the mid-90s to the end of the 90s] wasting considerable amounts of time using chat/im services. I spend more of my time dealing with Email, Trac/WebDav/Git/Svn, Mail lists and actual colleagues and zero time in group chats on IIRC dealing with a development issue.

When I multi-task it's before a workstation and/or a laptop, not on a phone which most likely I'm on when I'm at a place where taking a laptop isn't necessary [I'm not planning on doing a lot of work] and I'm checking in on Email and other services I will later address.

I'm 40 and Google Voice doesn't turn my crank. I have zero interest in wasting more time on a phone with such a feature. I don't care for voice-mail when I am doing work. Send me emails detailing issues and move along.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    I'll be ordering two of these at the end of the month. I have tested the N1 and the iPhone side by side and simply prefer the N1. The screen resolution is a big factor. I need to surf several on-line knowledge bases ( for Work ) and the N1 wins at this hands down over the iPhone. I was not thrilled about using T Mobile. Thankfully it is now available ( as of today ) for the AT&T 3G network.

I am still hoping that it is available on Verizon before April 6th ( when I have to switch )

Android is certainly not perfect, but it is a far more open system than the iPhone. As for the screen tests quoted above, all I can say is that the N1 looked sharper with better color saturation than the iPhone to me... ( Not scientific, it just thought it looked better... )
  • Reply 65 of 96
    I'm guessing that these figures are US only? The Droid being an CDMA/EVDO device has limited/no use outside of the US in a world full of GSM/HSDPA networks?

Does anyone know if Motorola plans to release other versions of the Droid? (They would be stupid not to!) Otherwise, I think we will find these sales figures taper off and drop pretty quickly once the US market has been saturated?
  • Reply 66 of 96
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

The word "Droid" did not make me go out and want to buy one. Of course, I have never done drugs so...

Well, that speaks well for you. The name doesn't have to drive the purchasing decision to be effective. The name might be the hook that made them pay attention to the commercial or read the entire ad in their magazine.

The name matters. That's all I'm saying.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

They sold a million phones with a $100 million ad campaign. Jeez. $100 per phone just for the ad. The crazy thing is that this Driod will probably be replaced by another phone called something else soon and all the brand recognition that the $100m bought will be gone.

Apple buys product recognition which remains in place for years, through umpteen product generations.

Does Moto really need name recognition? The company that invented the cell phone, that made the first flip phone almost all of us had a RAZR and if you have a cable modem its probably one made by moto. Yes the ads were for the Droid but it was also for a company trying to save its handset division. A company that has served many of us well in the past.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    [QUOTE=nz_silverfox;1591840]I'm guessing that these figures are US only? The Droid being an CDMA/EVDO device has limited/no use outside of the US in a world full of GSM/HSDPA networks?

Does anyone know if Motorola plans to release other versions of the Droid? (They would be stupid not to!) Otherwise, I think we will find these sales figures taper off and drop pretty quickly once the US market has been saturated?

There's a GSM version called the Milestone.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Unless you're constantly on the move and haven't a clue about your local area the average person isn't using GMaps daily for their life. They learn to use it and move on with the occasional need to find a place if they don't recognize the address. Even in a city the size of Seattle, I drove around for the first two weeks I lived there to familiarize myself with the area. I did the same in San Fran/SF Bay and Orlando Florida. Jumping to my phone was the last resort when you know the area.

For a traveler it can be useful and for a Real Estate agent needing to do some work and printing out fliers with a GMap section is helpful, but not something I need to do my job.

I'm not eating out daily and in need of 8 Sushi restaurants trying to decide which place I want to go and how far away is it from me. I know my area.

I sure as hell spent several years [back in the mid-90s to the end of the 90s] wasting considerable amounts of time using chat/im services. I spend more of my time dealing with Email, Trac/WebDav/Git/Svn, Mail lists and actual colleagues and zero time in group chats on IIRC dealing with a development issue.

When I multi-task it's before a workstation and/or a laptop, not on a phone which most likely I'm on when I'm at a place where taking a laptop isn't necessary [I'm not planning on doing a lot of work] and I'm checking in on Email and other services I will later address.

I'm 40 and Google Voice doesn't turn my crank. I have zero interest in wasting more time on a phone with such a feature. I don't care for voice-mail when I am doing work. Send me emails detailing issues and move along.

Yeah maybe since you are such a expert about the areas in which you live you don't need Google Maps. What I was trying to convey in a short paragraph is how useful the voice search is especially when it has the capabilities to look up places on Google Maps.

Do I need to use Google Maps on a daily basis to get home from work? No!

However, I am out a lot and I find myself quickly looking up places of interest by the voice search software and Google Maps. Believe me, if I'm out and need to stop at Target it is much easier to say "Find Target". Google Maps opens showing me the Targets nearest to me and has details such as hours of Operation and phone numbers in case I need to call for a question. This process is much simpler than typing everything out and looking it up on the run.

While you might not find this feature useful in your personal life, many other people do. You missed the entire point of my whole post. It doesn't matter if its Apple, Android, or a Windows 7 phone. We should want a level of competition in the market place that pushes innovation and thus giving more value to the consumer.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It's an "adequate" phone on a mediocre network. How is this news?

Ahahah!! I fully agree with You!
  • Reply 71 of 96
    http://www.google.com/phone

http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot....ith-at-3g.html

Nexus One now compatible with the AT&T 3G network and shipping to Canada

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In early January, we announced the Nexus One, the first device sold through Google's web store. The Nexus One is unlocked, which means you can use it with a SIM card from most GSM operators worldwide. Currently the device is compatible with most 3G networks, including T-Mobile in the US. However, there are some carriers that have different 3G frequencies, such as AT&T in the US and Rogers Wireless in Canada, so users with these SIM cards can only access 2G or EDGE networks on their Nexus One.

Starting today, an additional version of the Nexus One is available from the Google web store that is compatible with AT&T?s 3G network. This new model can be purchased as an unlocked device without a service plan. In addition to AT&T?s 3G network, this device will also run on Rogers Wireless in Canada. And like the first version of the Nexus One, it can be used with most GSM operators globally.

Additionally, Nexus One devices can now be shipped to Canada from Google?s web store, and will work with a SIM from Rogers Wireless. To find out which version you should purchase, based on your mobile service provider, please visit our Help Center.

Quote:

@WootRoot I think it's just the industry equivalent of Google dropping a huge deuce on Steve Jobs' chest.

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/10580450337

• Reply 72 of 96
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Google does not care. It wouldn't matter if this sold 500,000 or 500, the Nexus One is just a tool to ensure other Android handset makers keep up with technology, and don't go stagnant like some WinMo phone makers had.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post

Nexus One now compatible with the AT&T 3G network and shipping to Canada

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In early January, we announced the Nexus One, the first device sold through Google's web store. The Nexus One is unlocked, which means you can use it with a SIM card from most GSM operators worldwide. Currently the device is compatible with most 3G networks, including T-Mobile in the US. However, there are some carriers that have different 3G frequencies, such as AT&T in the US and Rogers Wireless in Canada, so users with these SIM cards can only access 2G or EDGE networks on their Nexus One.

Starting today, an additional version of the Nexus One is available from the Google web store that is compatible with AT&T?s 3G network. This new model can be purchased as an unlocked device without a service plan. In addition to AT&T?s 3G network, this device will also run on Rogers Wireless in Canada. And like the first version of the Nexus One, it can be used with most GSM operators globally.

Additionally, Nexus One devices can now be shipped to Canada from Google?s web store, and will work with a SIM from Rogers Wireless. To find out which version you should purchase, based on your mobile service provider, please visit our Help Center.

who is going to pay 529 dollars for this thing? i wouldn't and didn't.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android Apple Guy View Post

Yeah maybe since you are such a expert about the areas in which you live you don't need Google Maps. What I was trying to convey in a short paragraph is how useful the voice search is especially when it has the capabilities to look up places on Google Maps.

Do I need to use Google Maps on a daily basis to get home from work? No!

However, I am out a lot and I find myself quickly looking up places of interest by the voice search software and Google Maps. Believe me, if I'm out and need to stop at Target it is much easier to say "Find Target". Google Maps opens showing me the Targets nearest to me and has details such as hours of Operation and phone numbers in case I need to call for a question. This process is much simpler than typing everything out and looking it up on the run.

While you might not find this feature useful in your personal life, many other people do. You missed the entire point of my whole post. It doesn't matter if its Apple, Android, or a Windows 7 phone. We should want a level of competition in the market place that pushes innovation and thus giving more value to the consumer.

Besides Google Voice, all those features are on the iPhone. You must be one of the group furious at Apple for not including Google Voice hoping to bypass your telco and use VoIP. I didn't miss your point.

I shared what this professional uses to get his work done.

Most kids social network on their phones whether its a Blackberry, iPhone, Android, etc., and from the looks of it the ``just works'' crowd gushes over the simplicity and consistent feel of the iPhone.

You don't see large clicks of iPhone developers screaming about some of the FOSS rhetoric leveraged as marketing fodder from Google and other Android based providers.

How come? Because they are making money. If 20% of all new iPhone apps come from startups they are looking to make money as it's their livelihood. They're in it to pay bills and not expand the philosophy of GNU FSF or it's sisterhood GPL crowd.

Google's business model on advertising is worth billions. They chose the Apache license for a reason. It affords them a compromise while keeping their cash cow moving forward.

Multi-tasking you elude towards in your list of what you use your phone for is not suffering under the iPhone OS as people aren't clamoring [like you wished they would] for having say 5 or 10 apps running swapping back and forth all in a view that fits in your back pocket.

You can bet the iPad will be advertising the Multi-tasking it will logically include [iPhone 4 as well, but you won't see the massive blitz campaign for it] not for the sake of multi-tasking but shown for the sake of interoperability between apps you use while on your iPad, comfortably sitting on the couch or on the train, plane or in the passenger seat of someone's car, or in an office meeting, etc.

Apple knows how the connection of the Interface works and engages the User. KISS: Keep it Simple Stupid.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Besides Google Voice, all those features are on the iPhone. You must be one of the group furious at Apple for not including Google Voice hoping to bypass your telco and use VoIP. I didn't miss your point.

I shared what this professional uses to get his work done.

Most kids social network on their phones whether its a Blackberry, iPhone, Android, etc., and from the looks of it the ``just works'' crowd gushes over the simplicity and consistent feel of the iPhone.

You don't see large clicks of iPhone developers screaming about some of the FOSS rhetoric leveraged as marketing fodder from Google and other Android based providers.

How come? Because they are making money. If 20% of all new iPhone apps come from startups they are looking to make money as it's their livelihood. They're in it to pay bills and not expand the philosophy of GNU FSF or it's sisterhood GPL crowd.

Google's business model on advertising is worth billions. They chose the Apache license for a reason. It affords them a compromise while keeping their cash cow moving forward.

Multi-tasking you elude towards in your list of what you use your phone for is not suffering under the iPhone OS as people aren't clamoring [like you wished they would] for having say 5 or 10 apps running swapping back and forth all in a view that fits in your back pocket.

You can bet the iPad will be advertising the Multi-tasking it will logically include [iPhone 4 as well, but you won't see the massive blitz campaign for it] not for the sake of multi-tasking but shown for the sake of interoperability between apps you use while on your iPad, comfortably sitting on the couch or on the train, plane or in the passenger seat of someone's car, or in an office meeting, etc.

Apple knows how the connection of the Interface works and engages the User. KISS: Keep it Simple Stupid.

First off, don't stereotype me as a person who is furious about Apple not including Google Voice. Google Voice is not a deal breaker for me.

If we are stereotyping here then it seems like you are the type of person who thinks the iPhone is the best device ever created and nothing can ever get better.

I said in my original post that I have very little consumer loyalty. I own a wide variety of products, many of them are from Apple (ipod touch, MacBook Pro).

I also said originally that I really wanted an iphone, but was more loyal to my network (Verizon) than a phone.

One issue i have with your argument is that you take simple examples and apply them to the masses. I can see you saying that "hey I don't want multitasking, everyone else doesn't either".

Lets be honest, the market is segmented. To be honest, I want the choice to have multitasking. While multitasking isn't a deal breaker for me, my ideal product would afford me the CHOICE.

You solution is to get an iPad.... While the product does look beautiful I believe there are also some issues. I would rather wait for the Tablet industry to mature and see how competition will shape the market.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

The Droid ads were pretty intense. Plus Droid is a strong name for a certain audience. Marketing matters.

The juvenile Droid ads are aimed at teenage boys. They say nothing about the phone or its capabilities. The keyboard is unusable, the screen on all Android phones has poor touch performance, Android is laggy, fragmentation is a huge issue, witness all the dopey Droid users that are oh so amazed they still don't have the latest version of the OS. You can still only install a few hundred MB of apps at a time which shows Google still can't figure out how to divide user and app space safely. Remember that Google bought Android OS they did not write it. They obviously don't have a clue.

Having said that..if I had to use a phone on Verizon it would not be a Blackberry or god forbid a Windows Mobile phone. It would be an Android phone because even Android is better than those two.

I have had handhelds from the very first Palm and Windows CE devices and have had Blackberries for years for work btw.

People who say the iPhone does not multi-task don't know what they are talking about. They are also apparently unaware that Android handles multi-tasking very poorly which is why one of the leading apps on the horrible Android store is a task killer.
  • Reply 77 of 96
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

If the Nexus One was the best phone in the world it still would have never stood a chance in the US because its on TMobile.

I mean look at this 3G coverage map from TMobile. Its beyond pathetic.

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/?MapType=Data

Looks like the important parts of the country are well covered.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post

[b]Nexus One now compatible with the AT&T 3G network and shipping to Canada

After everything that Steve has done for that company, how can they just turn around and stab him in the back like that?

Google is EVIL!!!!
  • Reply 79 of 96
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

After everything that Steve has done for that company, how can they just turn around and stab him in the back like that?

Google is EVIL!!!!

Yeah, that's right. No business should ever grow and expand into markets its capable of expanding into. Screw that whole making money part!
  • Reply 80 of 96
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Yeah, that's right. No business should ever grow and expand into markets its capable of expanding into. Screw that whole making money part!

Google made a phone. Has this not sunk in yet?

It was an F U, from Schmidt to Jobs. It was, "Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your success, now pardon me while I (try to) steal some to help keep my company relevant over the next few years."

If they had put that time and effort into developing software for the iPhone, or working behind the scenes to enhance the standard iPhone experience, they could have had a brighter future in the smartphone market, than running the other way toward a flop phone of their own.