Apple delays iPad keyboard dock, power adapter until May

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    it's frustrating that a story with both a headline that's in error and a lead paragraph that's in error can be up for four hours, can have had its error pointed out by posters hours ago, and still runs in its uncorrected version. The advantage of internet news, I hoped, would be a fluidity superior to newspapers whose corrections wouldn't appear til the next day's edition at the earliest. I know people here and there in this thread have pointed to reality, but most other posters don't seem to have gotten the point, and it doesn't look like the (AI) store is being minded real closely today.

The facts: People who order now will have to wait longer to get their products than people who ordered early in the ordering process. That's hardly shocking. I tried to buy a Subaru Outback earlier this year and the dealers couldn't find one rigged the way i wanted. There were models equipped to my wishes on the road, but they'd been grabbed up by early buyers. The dealers said i could wait and see what came along, or order one to my specs, for delivery in 2-3 months. Those circumstances wouldn't have warranted stories saying the product had been delayed, and neither do the circumstances surrounding the apple iPad accessories.

fwiw, my iPad case and charger orders are still promising the same delivery time they did when i ordered them 7 minutes after apple began taking orders. I copied this info off my order status page at 4:04pm today.

"IPAD CASE-ZML

Ships: BY APRIL 3RD

\t

IPAD 10W USB POWER ADAPTER-USA

Ships: Late April"
  • Reply 42 of 54
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    So, I'm assuming "10W power adapter", means you can't charge the device directly from USB? Or will it just take longer?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

So, I'm assuming "10W power adapter", means you can't charge the device directly from USB? Or will it just take longer?

You should be able to charge it directly from the charger.

here are a couple of questions...

If I buy the iPad dock with the keyboard will I be able to plug my iPhone into the dock to type? Hmmmmm? the connectors are supposed to be the same..... very interesting......

Now if I buy the Wi-Fi + 3G will I be able to take the sim card out of my iPhone and use that as a internet connection? Hmmmmm very interesting......
  • Reply 44 of 54
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wyneken View Post

I admit I'm not a Pro User with "mature computing needs" (I just want to finish my novel-in-progress which is under contract to Alfred A. Knopf/Random House) and am hoping to do it with Pages on the iPad, so that I can actually enjoy the process. Totally frivolous, I know.........

If you were my friend, I'd try to find a polite way to tell you that you are coming across as a pompous ass, and making yourself look foolish in the process. Rather like the Summoner in Chaucer who knows three phrases in Latin and uses them repeatedly to impress everyone by how smart he is. The guy is actually an agreeable sort, at heart. But he does try the reader's patience.

Nice read, let us know when your novel comes out, if it reads like your post it will be worth paying full price. As a side bar, what is your take on Amazon Kindle vs Apple iBook deals. I hope that the authors are going to get a proportionate increase if novels go from $9.99 to $12-14---not to get the thread off topic. All the best and success on your novel.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wyneken View Post

I admit I'm not a Pro User with "mature computing needs" (I just want to finish my novel-in-progress which is under contract to Alfred A. Knopf/Random House) and am hoping to do it with Pages on the iPad, so that I can actually enjoy the process. Totally frivolous, I know.

But I feel obliged to comment on the following sentence.

This kind of thing makes me feel like I'm dealing with the Smartest Man in the World in "The Princess Bride."

First of all, the word "they" in this sentence has no antecedent. Who are the "they" you're talking about? The subject is "conditioning," a singular noun. There is no plural noun anywhere. So you've got this "they" hanging out there, signifying nothing, apparently. Bad form, sir.

Secondly, what in the world does this sentence mean? I think I get, in a vague sort of way, what you're struggling to say here. Do you mean something like:

"Human intelligence and understanding are conditioned by environment."

... or something along those lines?

If you were my student, I'd suggest working a little harder to express your ideas in a way that ordinary, intelligent people can understand. You might find Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" useful in this regard.

If you were my friend, I'd try to find a polite way to tell you that you are coming across as a pompous ass, and making yourself look foolish in the process. Rather like the Summoner in Chaucer who knows three phrases in Latin and uses them repeatedly to impress everyone by how smart he is. The guy is actually an agreeable sort, at heart. But he does try the reader's patience.

Beautiful.

Like poetry to my ears.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    One more thing. The iPad Keyboard Dock is back to Late April shipping, as opposed to May. Good news!
  • Reply 47 of 54
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdstk46 View Post

It appears the new dates are only for subsequent orders.

Not picking on you, but a comment for the "article" writer we are all commenting on: BLINDING FLASH OF THE OBVIOUS ALERT

sheesh...
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Yes, this doesn't make sense. If it's the same power adapter as the iPhone, you can buy extra ones (with cable) anytime anywhere - right now. Soooo - what the hell is AppleInsider (or the source) talking about?

What if I have a dock on a bookshelf so I can use my iPad as picture frame - a (gasp!) second power supply might be useful for such an instance.

Just maybe.

Quote:

I smell a FUD-stock play.

Stop being so obtuse...

Quote:

As far as the keyboard - haven't seen any disruptions on the store - but I don't see why you use a "dock" keyboard instead of the wireless bluetooth one anyway. Unless you're trying to relive Apple II nostalgia having the CPU welded to your keyboard.

Yeah, I didn't get that either - although a hard-wired keyboard would save a little battery life vs. a BT transmitter... But then again it's in a dock so presumably it's getting power? I'm with you, it's a weird accessory...
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

This adapter will work with the phone but the phone one will not work with the ipad. my guess is a different in Wattage but I didn't think to ask.

It's obvious it's a different wattage - it's at least twice the size of the iPhone power adapter (which is why it works with the iPad and iPhone, but the iPhone one does't work with the iPad). The iPad adaptor is listed as 10 watts, the Apple one is probably two watts max?

Interesting point - I wonder if you can charge an iPad solely via USB, and if so does it take significantly longer? Will be interesting to see.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archie Goodwin View Post

A Pro user with more mature needs? Wow. I'm impressed. Can I give you some money? How about a hummer?

My vote for post of the day...
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

The conditioning of human intelligence and problem solving is also dependent upon the environment they engage in.

Ooh, what a surprise - you think people buy Apple products because they are !SHINY

Sigh - another addition to the ignore list...
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

I though about that too and one has to remember a cursor based OS gives such fine control a finger can really never duplicate. These and other features really can't be duplicated with present touch UI.

Apple is working on other technologies that cameras track a finger point across the screen instead of actually touching the screen and blocking the view.

There has been complaints the iPad lacks a file system, delete the app and you delete all the files with it. Can't move files on the device neither.

So the Touch UI is still a bit immature, I give it some time and new technology and it will come around back to being a like cursor based UI eventually.

People are going to need more control over the screen, especially artists.

When they need more control, they will use another device. I hope the ipad stays simple and focuses on what it does best. Steve was right about the stylus. I've got a drawer full of them and I don't want to go back to using them. I'm so much happier with being able to use my fingers.

Most people will have a mix of devices that will span the range from iPod -> iPhone -> iPad -> notebook -> desktop. They will use the most appropriate tool for the job. I've got a fantastic Mac Pro but it isn't very portable. If it isn't with me it doesn't do me a lot of good.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

I though about that too and one has to remember a cursor based OS gives such fine control a finger can really never duplicate. These and other features really can't be duplicated with present touch UI.

<SNIP>

So the Touch UI is still a bit immature, I give it some time and new technology and it will come around back to being a like cursor based UI eventually.

People are going to need more control over the screen, especially artists.

I find your posts in this thread a bit amusing because as someone who definitely uses my machines in what qualifies as a "pro" setting my gui often simply serves as a window manager for a pile of terminal shells, and I switch between them without any cursor use at all...

I could, and do sometimes, get along very well with using screen to multiplex my shells in a single window for a lot of what I do. (hey though, sometimes a guy needs a web-browser, and lynx doesnt always cut it :-p)

What interface you use as a pro depends entirely on both your field, what precisely you're working on, and personal preference. A touch interface has its place in the pro world too.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1591657]

Originally scheduled to ship soon after the iPad launch in April, both the keyboard dock and 10W USB power adapter for Apple's tablet computer now have estimated ship dates sometime in the month of May.

FWIW, I just called to cancel the soft case (for which my receive date was specified as April 20) and add the Keyboard Dock. The confirmation email says the latter will ship in "late April," not May.

Of course, I won't know for sure until it arrives.