No iPad AppleCare for Florida?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I ordered the 3G iPad yesterday with the AppleCare option ($99).

Today I get the following message from Apple:
Apple is not authorized to sell the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad

in your state at this time and we have removed the item from your recent

order. Any other items on the order will be processed as usual. For

up-to-date information on your order, please visit our Order Status

website at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus.

You may wish to check the Apple Store at a future time for availability

of the product in your state. We apologize for any inconvenience and

thank you for shopping on the Apple Store.
My guess is that this is a temporary problem, but how could they not have this worked out before they start taking pre-orders? Moreover, couldn't they give a little more information about why this happened and when they expect to have it fixed than just this bland message?

Frankly, I expect better than this from Apple.

Does anyone know the details of why this happened?

Thanks,

Mike

Tampa, FL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Florida has some strict laws concerning extended warranties on consumers (not businesses, schools or non=profits) that require the warranty company to disclose sales and other data, pony up money too I think. It's to protect the numerous seniors in the state from extended warranty scams.

I assume from Apple's viewpoint the data can then be leaked and or used in stock manipulations etc. So they opt out at times when they don't want that data disclosed and could disrupt things. ;-)

When Steve Jobs came back to Apple the same problem existed in Florida with extended warranties on Mac's. A few years later the issue was resolved, Apple complied with the requirements of the law and Apple Care was allowed on Mac's.

The way to get around the problem was to purchase the Mac and Apple Care in another state or though a mail order company in another state with the purchaser stating a home address in state other than Florida when registering Apple Care with Apple or the mail order company. Then having the items forwarded to your snowbird residence in Florida.

If your a consumer and get AppleCare on a iPad and you register a Florida address, Apple will send you a letter and refund your money most likely, if they or someone else screwed up and let you get it in the first place.

If your a business, school or non-profit, then the law shouldn't apply and you can have Apple Care on a iPad in Florida.

I have had AppleCare service in Florida by Apple because I stated my residence in another state and said I was a snowbird, showed a id from the other state.

No laws were broken because I wasn't a Florida citizen.

Disclaimer: time passes and laws change, this info could be outdated or incomplete, based upon the original posters information, not to be taken as legal advice, I'm not a lawyer, only stating personal observations as a consumer.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Great, just what I need -- the government trying to take care of me again.

Well, I have AppleCare on my iMac. It seems that if they can solve the problem with one product, they should be able to solve it with the iPad.

I'll have to think about this if Apple does not get this worked out before the iPad ships. I'm already taking a risk by buying a product that is at the bleeding edge of the market in its first generation. I'm not sure I'll want to buy a product like this with only 90 days of free telephone support available. If they can't resolve this, I'll probably cancel the iPad order and wait until the device has been out for a couple of months before I buy.

Thanks for your insights.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Florida has some strict laws concerning extended warranties on consumers (not businesses, schools or non=profits) that require the warranty company to disclose sales and other data, pony up money too I think. It's to protect the numerous seniors in the state from extended warranty scams..

Aw, the poor dopes who can't make their own decisions anymore. Gotta give up our rights and fair practices to cater to the gullible. Once a law goes into place, it makes no difference what the excuse was, its in place for everyone. And if its inappropriate for one person, its inappropriate for all.

Total nonsense in Florida. People that don't have control over their personal finances deserve absolutely nothing, regardless of age. At some point you have to recognize your own limitations, get over it, and get things under control.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeepBlue2 View Post

I'll have to think about this if Apple does not get this worked out before the iPad ships. I'm already taking a risk by buying a product that is at the bleeding edge of the market in its first generation. I'm not sure I'll want to buy a product like this with only 90 days of free telephone support available. If they can't resolve this, I'll probably cancel the iPad order and wait until the device has been out for a couple of months before I buy.

Thanks for your insights.

Your welcome, you know it could a few years before Apple Care is available for iPads.

Why don't you just go down to your local government office and start a small business?

In my town the fees are quite small, you have to file earnings every quarter (enter $0), cost of a envelope and a stamp, but that's about it.

Use the company name when buying the iPad and you can get Apple Care. Use it for your business and personal use.

Should work, if not it was a nice experience anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Just buy the AppleCare through an online retailer.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Hooray. Received word from Apple that AppleCare for the iPad has now been approved for Florida.

Mike
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeepBlue2 View Post

Hooray. Received word from Apple that AppleCare for the iPad has now been approved for Florida.

Mike

That's good news!

So it's because Apple suddenly announces a new product and it takes time for paperwork to get though before the extended warranty is permitted.

Ok, cool. No multi-year waits like before.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You guys seriously shouldn?t wait around next time for Apple to get their act together. SquareTrade offered iPad insurance from day 1, these guys cover drops and spills as well, and it?s actually CHEAPER THAN APPLECARE. Check it out: http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/ipad-landing