Apple asks developers to test fonts in latest Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcrown View Post

Any word on the OpenGL rundown of the latest build using OpenGL extension viewer?

I would expect no more additions to OpenGL that would then need to be tested for this point update.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Well, this is both good news and bad news. It's nice to know the Apple is really bent on releasing a very high quality update rather than rush out a half baked point release. But I was also hoping this would be released this week.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

But I was also hoping this would be released this week.

It could be. They are focusing on fonts and I think they tend to release the update a day or two after the last Beta is released to devs.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    When more than 25 rules are entered the rules page overflows off the bottom of the screen, hiding the control buttons. None of the window control buttons will return the displayed window to a usable size.

This problem has existed and been repeatedly reported since the 10.4.0 days. Apple phone techs have repeatedly witnessed the problem during my calls, then vowed to report the problem to the proper group. So far... nothing.... has fixed this annoying oversight.

Jim
  • Reply 25 of 44
    I love that apple upgrades etc...

BUT I have to admit reading over the improvements and security upgrades leaves me feeling like a kid that only got a stocking at christmas.. Yeah things will run better and thats great...

Why not add one neat new thing to check out?

AM I alone in feeling this way?

Adult hat back on: stop eating candy!
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I must say in every instance of a performance and stability update I've not seen any change in performance or stability. I've never force quit QTX for example.

I think perhaps they should name the updates after the one or two effected people.

10.6.Tom or maybe this is the much heard about 10.6.Jessica

The commentor on size, well if the dimensions of one update doesn't crush you then you get pummelled by the weekly torrent of smaller ones. Updates these days are almost as out of control as Google fanbois.

I reckon next up will be the streaming OS where it just gets constantly patched but nothing changes.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    Hopefully, this update refines/improves Snow Leopard's management of RAM and system resources. Seen quite a bit of discussion, disagreement and work-arounds in this area.

One example

Another

And another
  • Reply 28 of 44
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

When referring to software built on a certain technology, the word based is used. I've never heard the term grounded used in this context except here on AI during these 10.6.3 seed announcements. (As well as the trickle of sites ripping your content.)

The seed notes say OpenGL-based, so why swap the synonym with something not used in industry?

They're probably using the Apple App Store App-lish* Dictionary. (Definitions subject to change or removal.) * App-lish is 100% backward compatible with English, except for words which are no longer supported under the 'two years and forget it' Apple Lifetime(+) policy. +: for definition of lifetime, see the App-lish Dictionary.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    It's better to wait and have a good update!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

With one post to your credit (and as a new participant), I am doubtful that people will take your response seriously. Of course, I haven't been a registered user for much longer. Perhaps I speak from experience, no? ;-)

At least it's good English. I have seen more questionable things on the Internet. But that's just me...

Perhaps you could post something with some long-term pedagogical value, rather than play two-bit copy editor. It will probably help you with your acceptance from the participants. It's just a suggestion though. Do as you please.

One could say similar things about your treatment of newcomers, you with your measly 188 posts to your credit.

He's right, AI articles are often padded with too many waffle words - such as the aforementioned "weights in at" - just to make them unnecessarily longer and more difficult to read. Sometimes a news item only warrants a couple of paragraphs, but AI will spin it out to a full page.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Why doesn't Apple test their changes enough? I'm not going to give them my time for free...
  • Reply 32 of 44
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nite41 View Post

I don't care what Apple is going to bring in with 10.6.3, but if they don't rectify the Finder Error code 36, I'll pissed to an extent that would make Ballmer (with an iPhone) look like a wuss! haha!

Right - I have the same problem when I want to copy files to a USB stick. I can't do it because of error 36. Although I have copied these files between the stick and the Finder before! What does this error mean anyway?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I suspect this is due to the fact that the first two were more 'damage control' for items that required immediate fixes. This release has a much longer cycle and obviously has a more comprehensive testing schedule. Probably a lot more 'nice to haves' in this update than must have right now sort of fixes IMO.

This is my take on the situation also. If one looks at what info has made it's way to the public one can see that some major work has gone into this rev. For example the continued focus od graphics driver updates along with OpenGL updates should be of interest to everybody. Especially considering that graphics drivers are wanting in Snow Leopard. In fact the majority of my issues seem to revolve around graphics drivers or QuickTime.

I also wonder about how much more performance they will be able to squezze out of current hardware. SL behaviour in this respect has been very mixed with generally better performance and some real regressions. Actually the graphics drivers come into play with this question because it is my understanding that they could be doing even more of the graphics load on the GPUs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm very hopeful for 10.6.3. SL has been very good to me, being far more reliable on my MBP than 10.5.x ever was. But there is room for improvement.

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

When more than 25 rules are entered the rules page overflows off the bottom of the screen, hiding the control buttons. None of the window control buttons will return the displayed window to a usable size.

Sounds like this is deserving of a letter to the big man himself. That is a note/E-Mail to Steve Jobs at Apple.

I say sounds like because personally I use Thunderbird for my E-Mail client. I use it on my Linux platforms so it is cross platform but more importantly I find it far easier to use. In fact one of the issues I had with Mail was the handling of rules. Not the scrolling off the display issue but just in getting them to do what I wanted.

It was actually quicker to download Thunderbird, install and get working to my desire.

Quote:

This problem has existed and been repeatedly reported since the 10.4.0 days. Apple phone techs have repeatedly witnessed the problem during my calls, then vowed to report the problem to the proper group. So far... nothing.... has fixed this annoying oversight.

Jim

the E-Mail client does seem to be the poor step child on OS/X. This is a shame in my opinion. What is even sadder I use Thunderbird as a client on my @mac.com account. If that didn't work I might just revert to the web client. Of course this is when I bother to access my mail from something other than my iPhone.

All in all you are right in that this should have been fixed ages ago.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

When referring to software built on a certain technology, the word based is used. I've never heard the term grounded used in this context except here on AI during these 10.6.3 seed announcements. (As well as the trickle of sites ripping your content.)

You have never heard of because it isn't in common usage. A little check of the dictionary would imply it isn't correct at all.

Quote:

The seed notes say OpenGL-based, so why swap the synonym with something not used in industry?

In this context is the word even a synonym? I don't think it is.

In any event I'm not one to dwell on poor English on forums like these. It is often hard to tell where everyone comes from. However these articles being posted by some of the bloggers leave a lot to be desired. There is often to much fluff and reall bad choices in text and composition for a site trying to look some what professional.

Combined with the crappy iPhone specific web sit I have to wonder if they are trying to drive readership down. Apple insider was perfectly usable on the iPhone before they tried to craft an iPhone specific sight, now it is a big irritation. I have to wonder what the goal is here, contious improvement or pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Somebody has already developed upon the fluff seen in many of the articles published here which is bad enough. But as was pointed out the poor compositions often lead difficult to follow articles. It is sad that you often have to say WTF and move onto another site.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...asking its developer community to test font compatibility and stability alongside a handful of other components that have been in need of evaluation....

Well, good news, I guess? I've been waiting to move to 10.6, in great part because of the Great Font Disaster which it introduced, and which has cost some designers (once respected as Apple's core constituency) hundreds (or more) of hours (and dollars). Going on seven months later, maybe a fix? Once 10.6.3 is released, I'll monitor these Apple Discussions for reports.

Now, if only Apple would get around to adding complete OpenType font support, to allow use of more than one (count 'em - one) font for the Devanagari script used by half of India (same problem for numerous other South & Southeast Asian scripts), for which I've been waiting for seven years, since 10.2.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

With one post to your credit (and as a new participant), I am doubtful that people will take your response seriously. Of course, I haven't been a registered user for much longer. Perhaps I speak from experience, no? ;-)

I don't know about you but I have different expectations from people that are trying to pass off professional work. Even though this usage isn't that bad other parts of the article do cause concern.

The problem is the management of the site should take this issue seriously if they expect to retain readership. I'm not sure for how long nor to what depth you have been reading Appleinsider articles but there have been some really bad articles published lately. When it gets to the point that you say what the hell is he saying here you have a problem.

Quote:

At least it's good English. I have seen more questionable things on the Internet. But that's just me...

Yes this is true. The problem is a lot of it is seen right here on Appleinsider. The problem isn't so much this phrase as it is a general trend that is making the site less credible.

Quote:

Perhaps you could post something with some long-term pedagogical value, rather than play two-bit copy editor. It will probably help you with your acceptance from the participants. It's just a suggestion though. Do as you please.

Admittedly this could be considered picky when looked at alone. What is bothersome is to watch the quality of the articles go down on this site. Maybe what is needed is an editor that rejects the bad stuff.

So in one sense you are right about commenting about one very minor readability issues. It could lead to negative perceptions. On the otherhand this isn't some reader responding to the posting of another. I don't know what the right answer is here other than saying nothing helps even less.

Dave
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't know about you but I have different expectations from people that are trying to pass off professional work. Even though this usage isn't that bad other parts of the article do cause concern.

The ones that I found glaringly bad were "..pushed out.. [released] ..for the past several weeks.. [for several weeks - they can't test in the future] ..will bundle.. [include] ..OpenGL-grounded.. [based, as has already been said] ...baked into.. [wtf? included, wtf is baked?] ..carries build number 10D571..[has a build number of] ..weighs in around 700MB.. [is 700Mb in size]

Fuzzy, confusing words like these make articles very hard to read and frankly, they look stupid and unprofessional. Pointless weasel-words with no purpose.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Er, wasn't the point of Snow Leopard that instead of introducing new features they'd focus on stability and reliability???
  • Reply 40 of 44
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Hopefully, this update refines/improves Snow Leopard's management of RAM and system resources. Seen quite a bit of discussion, disagreement and work-arounds in this area.

One example

Another

And another

Your first example is a legitimate problem with Logic Pro leaking memory. It is NOT OS X problem but application problem.

The other to links lead to a bunch of clueless people bitching about something they don't understand.