iPad prompts changes to way magazines count circulation

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

Google is going DOWN! We will KILL them!

Leave me out of your sick fantasies please
  • Reply 22 of 31
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    This is a tremendously good indicator of the ultimate vitality of the iPad product line.

Critics of Apple's "closed" system (ibookstore) will also be silenced when such system results in exploding sales statistics of all sorts of electronic publications, especially in comparison to other competing platforms and formats.

The iPad's form factor, unique portability facility, and user interface will also spawn huge numbers of web browser-based publications.

There will also be new markets created such as for instruction manuals, how-to guides, corporate manuals, institutional guide books, self-guided tours, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leey View Post

helps you to first look Apple's latest iPad: http://www.ifunia.com/ipad-column/index.html

That site is a joke. It shows a widescreen iPad with OSX. And here's what they say about our iPad:

"No Multi-Tasking

You're kidding, Apple. Right? The iPad operating system (OS) is the iPhone OS. The iPhone OS works well for a mobile device. For a full-size computer? Not so much. No multi-tasking means you need to close each program you're working on to open a new program. Then that program must be closed to use another. No hopping around from program to program -- you know, the way you really use a computer.

It's annoying enough on the iPhone, and numerous other smartphones do allow multi-tasking. For some reason, Apple decided it wasn't necessary for the iPad. Major error.

No Flash Support

No Flash in what is primarily a Web device? Shocking. Steve Jobs, during the announcement, kept talking about what a great Web-surfing product the iPad was. If so, why won't it support Flash, so you can watch videos and other Flash animations? Will the experience be so great when you open a Web page with a great, big empty box in the middle?

Yes, Flash can be a security hole. But using the Internet in any fashion brings certain security risks. To cut out such an important part of Web functionality for the sake of added security, in what is being pitched as a surfboard to the Web, is folly.

No Still Camera or Video

Again, this is a media-enabled computer, right? It's about "unleasing your inner creativity," "being who you really are", and other marketing pabulum. If that's so, why doesn't the iPad have a webcam or video camera built in? You can take a picture with a digital camera and upload it, but on most Windows laptops made today, cameras are part of the package -- and have been, for some time.

Video output is supported but only at 480p

I could have forgiven the limited screen size if the device offered true HD output. It doesn't. Again, why not? The new proprietary Apple processor seems powerful enough to power 720p video, yet it's restricted.

It may be to keep from cannibalizing sales of the Apple TV, a device that Apple is somehow still supporting and one that truly does output crystal-clear 720p video. And it ties to the iTunes video store, which is one reason I have and love mine--just like the iPad does. So the reasoning makes sense. But what about other apps the Apple TV doesn't support that the iPad does that would look good on your 46-inch LCD? It's a disappointment.

The aspect ratio isn't wide screen

When the iPhone was introduced, Steven Jobs specifically said it was a "wide-screen iPod." People had been clamoring for one for a while, so Apple delivered it as an iPhone component. Sure, it wasn't the actual 16:9 many wanted, but it was better than the standard definition 4:3 that the current crop of iPods was sporting.

And the latest versions of the Nano are also wide screen. Apple TV supports 16:9 natively, so why is the iPad--with 1,024x768 pixel resolution--stuck in the world of 4:3? Apple says it plays back HD video, which technically it does, but with down-converting. HD video at 720p, which is what the iPad supports, is 720x1,280. With a maximum width of 1024 pixels, the iPad really plays back true 720p--which uses 16:9, anything else isn't truly "720p"--video at 576x1,024. That's not much better than 480p.

There are LCD screens out there in the same relative size range as the iPad that are true HD-proportioned. Why didn't Apple use one of these?

No GPS

Apple does include A-GPS (Assisted GPS) via Wi-Fi and 3G in the 3G-powered model, but the size of the iPad means that a simple, low-powered real GPS receiver could have been built in to the device, yet wasn't.

That could lead one to assume that this isn't a device for those on the go. No, Apple seems to want to keep the MacBook for these people. The iPad, like the Apple TV, seems to be a device set to live in your house or apartment.

Indeed, when presenting the device, Jobs sat in an easy chair very similar to the ones many of us have in our living rooms. He crossed his legs and used them to prop up the device. If this device was meant to go on the road, it seems it would have had a GPS chip included, just like the iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    According to the Associated Press, the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) -- a non-profit audit agency that assesses circulation, readership, and audience information for magazines and newspapers -- has altered its definition of a digital magazine to include the emerging class of tablet-style devices.

Where does it say ipad? Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Shock horror. Sarcasm.

Well I for one think Steve would put an immediate STOP to this CRAP!

IMAGINE someone (other than him of course) being in a position to APPROVE or REJECT something before it even gets SENT to Apples App & Content police. This is really going WAY too far. Steve madly calling his mergers and acquisitions people to check to see if this 'Audit Bureau of Circulations' or whatever stupid name they call themselves is an institution he could have silenced and/or purchased...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Think about how much more relavant the ads will get on the iPad. They can pull data info right from the cloud, and have the story matched up with an ad on the fly. Advertisements in magazines used to need to be designed for a long time frame, since it takes a week to a month for a new edition to come out. Plus the magazines would be left on counters, and second and third tier readers would read the ads, which are not necessarily target audience.

With the iPad the ads can be updated daily if needed, they are guaranteed to reach target audience (since you are the one reading) and are not the same each time you read the story (so you can share the same story with another company 50/50 and pay half for the ad space. In many ways this is a win win, as long as the magazines realize all this and take advantage, not try to force people to keep reading the same way as print used to be.

The publishers could do this, but it might be more trouble than it's worth for them to go this route. They would need to ensure that they have multiple ads for the same space, and count the downloads of them to the device ensuring that each one is viewed the guaranteed quantity of views. What happens when that number is met? Do they leave a blank space if they don't have anything else to fill the space?

If they are updated (and counted) every time the reader views the magazine then how do you handle it when the viewer is not connected to the internet? Also, since magazines are often viewed past their circulation period how would you deal with it 6 months to a year out? I have a few magazines that are a few years old that I still pull out for reference, and yes sometimes I have pulled one out specifically to find an ad for a company for a product that I was interested in but did not purchase when the magazine came out.

I would imagine that they will sell a one page ad based on their circulation for the magazine and let the subject of the magazine determine the relevance of the ad to the market just as it does in print. The ad would travel with the download for viewing offline, and so that the publisher does not have to keep the ads on their server beyond a reasonable period of time.

For most magazines the subject of the periodical is a good indicator of the relevance of the advertise product to the market anyway. You probably would not advertise a Porsche or a Mercedes in Hot Rod magazine or an Elderbrock manifold and Headers in an issue of Gourmet or Good Housekeeping, even if the data in the "Cloud" thought it might be something you are interested in. Just think, I might have a subscription for Penthouse and one for Discovery Kids linked to my name I am the primary user of the iPad. My son opens up Discovery Kids and is confronted with an ad for adult toys. Sure this extreme scenario probably isn't likely, and was in a way meant as a bit of comic relief, but I think it does illustrate a potential problem with targeting ads based on the "Cloud" data, especially if the publisher has a number of periodicals for different demographics and "shares" the ads between them.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    According to the Associated Press, the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) -- a non-profit audit agency that assesses circulation, readership, and audience information for magazines and newspapers -- has altered its definition of a digital magazine to include the emerging class of tablet-style devices.

Were does it say ipad?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Critics of Apple's "closed" system (ibookstore) .

What closed? Is the Kindle bookstore app going away? No. Is Stanza going away? No. What is this closed you speak of?

Let me break it down in easy to digest Tarzan speak for you.

App Store Closed.

Bookstores Open.

Pants are Good.

Grunt Snort.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

There is always the right tool for the job. Adwords are a great idea. Keep the search results away from financial motivation and put a few relevant paid links on the side. If your looking to buy something, the paid links are often more relevant then the (financially) unbiased links. As a consumer, I find the adwords a useful tool. That is always the challenge of advertising. You need to get the consumer to *want* to view your add. Much better idea then banner ads. I hope to see the end of banner ads one day. I don't think banners are very effective. That is just an effort by the traditional print industry to move to the web. Those banner ads are filtered out by my browser anyway.

If you buy an adword, you need to make sure it will function as a tool for the user. If you buy the wrong words or your product/service doesn't make sense then it isn't going to work. If it is a product/service that is a hard sell, an Adword will do you no good. Anybody looking at adwords already have a basic idea of what they want.

Well I think you're half right, people do click on the 'ads' they like. Usually those feature pretty pictures of pretty things and people - and here's the big, should be obvious conclusion - ads that are just a link, or a couple of words do not remotely compare or attract the eyeballs or get the clicks. Like banner ads before, people using that Pavlovian negative reinforcement, have by and large learned to ignore them.

Since I've waste money on both Google AdWords and the traditional print/TV stuff, there's not even a question which is more effective. It's my belief, from direct experience, that Google AdWords' effectiveness is hyped to help their company stock and sell the service. There's also the very real danger that once you use a AdWord, Google will go sell all that marketing data to your competition. If you're a small retailer, and somehow selling something that Target does, good luck. Your advertising dollars would go a lot further towards almost any other marketing campaign.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Reading this article makes me think of my stand again. I will not buy a Application that has Adds in it. I even find it criminal that in regular magazine I used to pay a subscription to when it was filled to the brim in adds. I dropped said magazine because of the wall to wall adds and sorely lacking articles. So these iPad magazines better have more substance in them if they expect me to buy them.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPad goes on sale April 3th in the United States.

What was wrong with "3rd"?