iPhone devs can now automate app release dates, price changes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple this week unlocked new tools that allow iPhone developers and publishers to pre-set the release date of their applications and schedule price changes.

The new features appeared in the web-based iTunesConnect interface that application publishers -- and all other iTunes media partners -- use to submit and manage their offerings on the iTunes Store.

More specifically, the additions let publisher pre-schedule a release date for their new and updated applications, in addition to scheduling a series of price changes for those apps that will go into effect automatically on their target dates.

As can be seen in the screenshot below, a publisher can choose to release an app on March 4th under pricing tier 1 ($0.99) and pre-schedule the price to rise to tier 2 ($1.99) two weeks later. Successive price changes could also be scheduled in the interface; it's not limited to two entries.

The new features are the latest changes by Apple that offer app publishers more flexibility and control over how their apps are marketed to end users on its fairly congested App Store.

New tools offered to AppStore publishers | Screenshot via iPhones.ru

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    That's surprisingly terse. Care to elaborate?

EDIT: Ah, I see this got truncated in the move from the front page. Might want to fix that.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Unlocked features? Added is the word.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week unlocked new tools that allow iPhone developers and publishers to pre-set the release date of their applications and schedule price changes.

Apple just keep's getting better and better. I'm going to go buy a few app's too thank them for this.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Good. I've always wondered why Apple didn't have something like this in the past.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

. . . apps that will go into affect automatically . . .

It doesn't look good at all when you writers can't spell. "Affect" should be "effect." No, it wasn't a typo. It was not knowing the difference, or at least not caring to check. Either way, it's unprofessional.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Good. I've always wondered why Apple didn't have something like this in the past.

i wish they would have something like this for the website. it's kind of funny that a company that big takes the entire online store down just to add new products
  • Reply 7 of 23
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i wish they would have something like this for the website. it's kind of funny that a company that big takes the entire online store down just to add new products

It is better that way. They can add the new product at the top of the page.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I think they do it on purpose rather than for a technical limitation. They probably don't want fanboys clicking refresh a thousand times a minute to see if the new product is posted yet. Adding a new product is done weeks in advance for testing and it is likely only a single click to make it public. Clearly they don't do that when they are adding an accessory item, cable, 3rd party product, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

I've thought \
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Last christmas I wanted to offer a special holiday prices for my iPhone apps. The problem was that iTunesConnect, the website were developers can control their apps, was down for maintenance the entire holiday.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

If you are talking about the Apple web site or even the iTunes Store and had to ask that question, I gather you don't know anything about web logistics/management.

Not only are there a dozen or two links to every new/updated product, it involves 36 distinct country web sites in nearly 2 dozen languages, of which English is 4.

And true to Apple's form, the entire world is a more often than not updated within moments of each other.

And how many new/update products are posted daily? Over a thousand a day.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    The work that Apple has been doing the past couple of months to ease the app submission process has been terrific.

I would still like Apple to make this statement though:

"We are now allowing the ability to sell signed apps outside of the App Store. There will be no restrictions to the apps you want to create. If you create a malicious app, we reserve the right to use the 'kill switch' on your app on a users device. Your license to develop apps will be revoked. "

This would end any future App Store controversies while providing freedom to those who require it though most would never excercise it.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

The work that Apple has been doing the past couple of months to ease the app submission process has been terrific.

I would still like Apple to make this statement though:

"We are now allowing the ability to sell signed apps outside of the App Store. There will be no restrictions to the apps you want to create. If you create a malicious app, we reserve the right to use the 'kill switch' on your app on a users device. Your license to develop apps will be revoked. "

This would end any future App Store controversies while providing freedom to those who require it though most would never excercise it.

In my opinion, Apple not making it very hard to jail break iPhones/iPod touches is really enough but it seems that for some reason all the vocal minority of critics really want is for Apple to include a jailbreak switch. Obviously if they did this the switch would also come at the expense of any support until the device is restored to factory but there are also those who want Apple to support their device regardless of what they do to it so you really can't please everyone.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Seems like Apple is really getting their ducks in a row for the next App Store explosion.

One thing I know a lot of developers are still looking for is the ability to provide coupon codes for specific apps. 50 may be enough for testing, but not for a big marketing effort.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

In my opinion, Apple not making it very hard to jail break iPhones/iPod touches is really enough but it seems that for some reason all the vocal minority of critics really want is for Apple to include a jailbreak switch. Obviously if they did this the switch would also come at the expense of any support until the device is restored to factory but there are also those who want Apple to support their device regardless of what they do to it so you really can't please everyone.

I question your first sentence that Apple isn't against jailbreaking. They have openly spoken out and complained about it. They also changed the baseband on the newest iDevices in mid product-cycle. It would seem that they're actively working against it.

Most people jailbreak because of features that are missing from the App Store. There will always be some that want full control so they can do things like change the icons but that is a very small percentage.

Jailbreaking also causes your phone to be more unstable and removes a necessary layer of security.

You're right that everybody can't be pleased but this would end any controversies and would be a minimal security threat because Apple does have the kill switch as a last resort.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Silly Apple, why are they spending time on releasing such unnecessary features? Don't they realize they are supposed to be controlling and overly restrictive?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

I've thought \

Because until now they haven't been able to guarantee review and approval within a certain timeframe. By guaranteeing it, release dates can be set, rather than it showing up whenever it gets through Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Sure, it would end your controversies. And the result would be an entire new set of issues that would come up. I'm sure you would rejoice them doing that, only to turn right around and complain to Apple as to how they allowed some kind of malware or trojan to hijack your phone.

Will not happen and the tens of millions of iPhone users are quite happy leaving it that way. You want to live in the wild west? Go to Android and be done with it. This subject has been beaten beyond belief.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Because until now they haven't been able to guarantee review and approval within a certain timeframe. By guaranteeing it, release dates can be set, rather than it showing up whenever it gets through Apple.

Umm unless I missed something pretty HUGE... Apple isn't guaranteeing anything when it comes to a specific APPS approval. If I'm not mistaken this 'UI' would only become available AFTER the _insert_time_period_ Apple takes to approve an APP submission. So including this feature (which is nice) in no way speeds up, slows down or in any way sets any specific guarantee on a APP approval or rejection.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The "Set Release Date" part was there since the beginning. The new part is the predefined pricing start and end dates.