Apple director Jerry York in critical condition following collapse

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Former IBM chief financial officer and current Apple director Jerome York has been hospitalized in Pontiac, Michigan and is currently listed as being in critical condition.

Bloomberg cites York's wife Eilene in reporting that York collapsed at his Rochester, Michigan, home Tuesday night and was transferred to Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital by emergency services.

Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native say he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.

York is currently the Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harwinton Capital. He was the former Chief Financial Officer of both IBM and Chrysler and also served as Chief Executive Officer of Micro Warehouse before joining Apple's board of directors in 1997.

A graduate of West Point, York earned an MBA at the University of Michigan and a master’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

While serving Apple, York also entertained a brief stint as a director for General Motors, holding a seat on its board from February to October of 2006.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.

? Doctors suffered a hemorrhage?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    We wish him well, with a full and speedy recovery.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!! I hope for a speedy recovery!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Yikes. Speedy full recovery? Really? Do you guys even know what a MASSIVE rupture and surge of blood flow into your skull means for your brain? This would be one of those miraculous situations where an angel comes down and saves his life. Yea, wish him well, but really? Any recovery likely wont be full nor speedy. Best of luck big guy.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Best of wishes to the man and his family, really tough blow to recover, god bless.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    I know several people who have recovered nicely from major brain aneurysms.

On the other hand, my Dad didn't do well and many people die or are terribly debilitated.

I'm sure he'll get excellent care. He might want to get down the to the Chicago Rehabilitation Institute as soon as he's able.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    I pray he gets better soon.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Yikes. Speedy full recovery? Really? Do you guys even know what a MASSIVE rupture and surge of blood flow into your skull means for your brain? This would be one of those miraculous situations where an angel comes down and saves his life. Yea, wish him well, but really? Any recovery likely wont be full nor speedy. Best of luck big guy.

In this case, I think the words are being uttered more to show compassion, not as a cut-and-dried analysis of his real-world chances.

How would you like it if it happened to someone close to you? Would you prefer that people told you, "Sorry bro, your mom's toast"?

The world doesn't run purely on logic. Humans have emotions that don't always make sense. We're not robots.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    While I'll be praying for Jerry and his family, I can't help but wonder if this is really 'news worthy' or even 'rumor worthy'.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Best wishes on a full recovery, Jerry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

While I'll be praying for Jerry and his family, I can't help but wonder if this is really 'news worthy' or even 'rumor worthy'.

What's to wonder about, it is written in the first line of the report:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...current Apple director Jerome York has been hospitalized in Pontiac, Michigan and is currently listed as being in critical condition.

• Reply 11 of 37
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Best of wishes to the man and his family, really tough blow to recover, god bless.

God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Catholic or Protostant, the Trinity and perhaps "his" guardian Angel is needed. May he recover well. Hope to have a high power position like he has had, less the injury.

Not religious but we are Spiritual. May he get well and then release a mid range mac headless for up and coming artists, editors.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    To posters here who choose to use this type of article to spout their supposed knowledge of this or that, without expressing one ounce of compassion for whom the article was written?

Just remember this....

Karma is a beautiful thing.

On a more appropriate note....

My best wishes on a full and speedy recovery, Jerry.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    He's not that old. The older I get, the older old gets. I hope he has a quick recovery. His resume is quite impressive. Best wishes to his family.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ditto for me. I couldn't think of a better way to say it.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

One other nit:

A board director does not serve the corporation. The board director serves the investors. Apple serves the board and/or the investors. Steve Jobs serves the board and/or the investors.

Good point. I would clarify a bit and say, in the US (in principle), shareholders (not necessarily all investors).
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.

? Doctors suffered a hemorrhage?

Read it again and see what it really says.

Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native say he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.

unless they changed it after you posted
  • Reply 17 of 37
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Well that is possible isn't it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

unless they changed it after you posted

• Reply 18 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I hate this for his family and him. Praying for him and his family.

---

I can confirm reports that most AI posters have no heart.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Well that is possible isn't it?

You are right. And I would go so far as to say that it is entirely possible that alphajack7's post prompted the change.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

May he get well and then release a mid range mac headless for up and coming artists, editors.

Wow! Nothing like a little compassion and selfishness mixed together there!

All I want is for him to get better - quick. And I will pray to that end for him, and his family.