Apple director Jerry York in critical condition following collapse

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

You are right. And I would go so far as to say that it is entirely possible that alphajack7's post prompted the change.

Yes, and I'll take credit for the other corrections they made.

Of course, they deleted my post because they roll like that. If they really want to play newsie, they could at least note their modifications like a real news outlet.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    It is important to do the best we can for sick people. I pray that this man recovers. Yes, it is never easy and doctors do everything they can. In the end... God decides.

In my line of work, I know people who should have been dead a long time ago, but they are still walking and working. Even from ruptured aneurysm. In this fellow's case, I would hazard a guess and say the cause was probably hypertension especially at that age.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

How would you like it if it happened to someone close to you? Would you prefer that people told you, "Sorry bro, your mom's toast"?

The world doesn't run purely on logic. Humans have emotions that don't always make sense. We're not robots.

The poster wasn't being crass about it. Blunt, yes. I don't think anyone mentioned "toast" or made other wiseass Ghostbusters references.

People have different ways of dealing with these things. Some people pray and some people want to know the odds. Since I take it none of us actually know the victim, it doesn't strike me as particularly insensitive to state that the prognosis here is usually pretty grave. More facts are needed, of course.

As a physician I've held a lot of family meetings where news like this gets broken to people, people are sobbing, barely keeping it together, etc. Some are completely zoned out. Some are in heavy denial. One sees the whole range of responses, including a demand for the brutal truth. All I will say is this: If the situation is terminal, it's not necessarily a cruel thing to convey this, with your condolences. Sometimes this is a more compassionate thing to do than let people delude themselves. You take this on a case by case basis. People process heavy stuff like this differently and you try to help them deal with the facts at the rate that they can bear them.

I wish the victim and his family comfort at this terrible time. Hopefully his situation is more benign than what has been conveyed in the original post.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Let's take it easy here folks. We wish him well and pray for him and his family.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    My thoughts go to his family at this extremely difficult time. The chances of any recovery would be fairly slim unless the doctors can perform a miracle for him.

His age would also be against him with this.

Lets hope he makes at least some form of recovery or doesn't suffer to much and the doctors keep him as comfortable as possible.

I have had a family member have the same as he has and sadly only lasted three days after it.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native say he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.

Weird...two people I know in their 20's and 30's recently died of the same thing. Totally unexpected wham! No explanation. I just saw one of them last month and she was totally normal. I emailed her to wish her happy White Day here in Japan and her father replied using her mobile and told me.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    The angels and gods had better prevented this in the first case. So I suppose there are no angels or gods around. So let better the doctors take care of this,they actually exist and if help is possible, they can provide it.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

How would you like it if it happened to someone close to you? Would you prefer that people told you, "Sorry bro, your mom's toast"?

The world doesn't run purely on logic. Humans have emotions that don't always make sense. We're not robots.

Ditto that. And simply being positive can do wonders for people. I send positive vibes towards him and his family.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Wow! Nothing like a little compassion and selfishness mixed together there!

All I want is for him to get better - quick. And I will pray to that end for him, and his family.

So sorry it read that way. What I meant was he gets well. Apple releases the product not him.

Will be praying for him. Forget the headless midrange. :-)
  • Reply 30 of 37
    As a TBI survivor myself, I'd like to send my best wishes to Jerry York, his family and friends. Despite pioneering work all over the globe, neuro-rehabilitation is far from easy and requires an enormous amount of grim determination and expert help (for many, rehabilitation is the hardest thing they'll ever face doing). Bio- and Neuro- feedback as well as electrotherapy may have a role to play here, though (with the exception of some binaural beat software for iPhone) sadly such products all too rarely make it to the Mac. Given the explosion of stroke and war-related TBIs in recent times. Easy to use, cost effective and unusual treatments may have a role to play in encouraging/enabling recovery as well as helping boost the mood of survivors
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Yes, and I'll take credit for the other corrections they made.

Of course, they deleted my post because they roll like that. If they really want to play newsie, they could at least note their modifications like a real news outlet.

You should take credit.

And, it is a cheap shot on AI's part to delete your post (assuming that's what happened; normally AI does not do that?).
  • Reply 32 of 37
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

The angels and gods had better prevented this in the first case. So I suppose there are no angels or gods around. So let better the doctors take care of this,they actually exist and if help is possible, they can provide it.

But good news, this proves the existence of trolls.

Here's wishing him and his loved ones peace.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

While I'll be praying for Jerry and his family,

If we can get every Apple owner to pray sincerely God will make him well. Prayer works wonders.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

In the end... God decides.

We all need to pray that God does not decide to kill this man. Not yet, anyways.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

But good news, this proves the existence of trolls.

Here's wishing him and his loved ones peace.

I am completely with you! I have no idea what all these faith trolls are doing in a tech blog!
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Word has arrived that he has passed on this morning.

It did sound dire.

Condolences to his family.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Apple has posted an announcement of his passing.

http://www.apple.com/

Condolences to his friends, family and the Apple community.