Confident HTC says no plans to back down from Apple lawsuit

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple rival HTC on Thursday issued its first official remarks on a lawsuit filed against it by the iPhone maker, saying it "disagrees" with the claims and is fully prepared to defend its reputation as one of the most innovative companies in the smartphone sector.

"HTC strongly advocates intellectual property protection and will continue to respect other innovators and their technologies as we have always done, but we will continue to embrace competition through our own innovation as a healthy way for consumers to get the best mobile experience possible,” HTC chief executive Peter Chou said in a statement. “From day one, HTC has focused on creating cutting-edge innovations that deliver unique value for people looking for a smartphone."

In a formal complained filed earlier this month with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and in a U.S. District Court in Delaware, Apple accused HTC of treading on 20 of its patents related to the iPhone's user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. The patents cover everything from unlocking a handset with a finger gesture to power conservation techniques.

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said in statement the same day the lawsuit was filed. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Although Apple did not name Google in the suit, HTC is responsible for a number of high-profile phones based on the search giant's Android mobile operating system. In addition to the first Android phone, the G1, HTC is behind the recently released Nexus One, which features multi-touch technology similar to that offered by the iPhone. As such many observers have suggested Apple's actions were a carefully orchestrated, indirect attack on Google.

Defending its reputation, HTC as part of its statement Thursday noted that the GSMA recently awarded the HTC Hero as the “Best Phone of 2009.” It also rifled off a list of other claimed technology firsts, including the Windows PDA (1998), first Windows Phone (June 2002), first 3G CDMA EVDO smartphone (October 2005), first gesture-based smartphone (June 2007), first Google Android smartphone (October 2008), and first 4G WIMAX smartphone (November 2008).

“HTC has always taken a partnership-oriented, collaborative approach to business. This has led to long-standing strategic partnerships with the top software, Internet and wireless technology companies in the industry as well as the top U.S., European and Asian mobile operators,” said Jason Mackenzie, vice president of HTC America. “It is through these relationships that we have been able to deliver the world’s most diverse series of smartphones to an even more diverse group of people around the world, recognizing that customers have very different needs.”

In an interview with Reuters, Mackenzie added that HTC plans to issue a formal response to Apple's claims within a matter of weeks but declined to outline the measures his firm will implement in its defense.

Apple's lawsuit against HTC is the latest in a growing pool of legal complains filed with the ITC bearing the iPhone maker's name. In recent months the company has sued Nokia, and is also being counter-sued by the Finnish handset maker. The ITC has agreed to look into both companies' complaints of patent infringement.

The ITC has also recently begun investigating claims made by Kodak against Apple. The camera company has alleged that Apple is in violation of patents that relate to the previewing of images, and processing them at different resolutions.

For more on Apple's suit against HTC, see AppleInsider's previous segments covering the 20 individual patents at issues and list of HTC devices that are allegedly in violation of Apple's intellectual property.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Bye-bye, HTC. They're going to get nailed on at least a few key patents.
  • Reply 2 of 104
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    The iPhone is part phone, part "something else" - everyone has since copied the something else part...
  • Reply 3 of 104
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    With regards to multi-touch, why hasn't Apple gone after Palm or Microsoft? Both use multitouch currently.

And Palm seems to be in a weeks position than HTC which would make them an easy "kill". HTC has the backing of Google, which means that Apple might be barking up the wrong tree.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    This whole situation is ugly. I'm someone who's trying to switch over to the Mac from PCs, and I am surprised that Apple is being so public about this lawsuit. It looks like bullying to me. Apple is looking more and more like Microsoft. I'm not the biggest fan of Google but Apple needs to embrace the principle of competition and just try to beat up the competitors off-field.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Microsoft don't make phones.

HTC does and Apple feels they are violating their patents.

Maybe they don't feel the same way about Palm.

Some advice for HTC.

http://bit.ly/2Ou6fd

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

With regards to multi-touch, why hasn't Apple gone after Palm or Microsoft? Both use multitouch currently.

And Palm seems to be in a weeks position than HTC which would make them an easy "kill". HTC has the backing of Google, which means that Apple might be barking up the wrong tree.

• Reply 6 of 104
    Apple should be careful. The Nokia claim can leave them in a bad position everybody license the GSM tech form Nokia except that decided that GSM is not innovation like "theirs". Anyways out of all the response I see from HTC is interesting that they claim to release the first gesture based smartphone and under those claims basically the iPhone is a copy of a bunch of already existing technologies. Well that's what they say I wonder if they can prove that on court, if they do I see a dark future for all those iB.S. Apple products.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Probably because MS and Palm both have deep patent pockets that they can counter-sue with. Not to mention suing MS would bring back memories of their battle back in the 90s.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Some advice for HTC.

A good deal of the patents Apple is claiming were violated have to do with software. HTC modified the software provided to them from Google. In the end, it's still a round-about attack on Android by going after the little brother when the big brother's back is turned.
  • Reply 8 of 104
    "HTC quietly brilliant"

I think It is obvious! They copy from Apple!
  • Reply 9 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The Apple patents specify hardware.

Show me some Google manufactured hardware?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Probably because MS and Palm both have deep patent pockets that they can counter-sue with. Not to mention suing MS would bring back memories of their battle back in the 90s.

A good deal of the patents Apple is claiming were violated have to do with software. HTC modified the software provided to them from Google. In the end, it's still a round-about attack on Android by going after the little brother when the big brother's back is turned.

• Reply 10 of 104
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Some advice for HTC.

Yeah, but Microsoft does "make" the Zune HD -- or would that be exempt since it isn't a phone? I wouldn't think so since it competes with the iPod touch.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    Hmmm.. I looked into it and looks like they are right. They demoed HTC TouchFlo tech before the iPhone was even available and then it was renamed to HTC Sense that's what the Andriod phones are using. Back then the technology was used in the Windows Pocket PC phones. http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3899
  • Reply 12 of 104
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?HTC has always taken a partnership-oriented, collaborative approach"...that are in violation of Apple's intellectual property.

HTC: Sometimes we take [unwilling] partners that should allow us to use their IP - since they are often slow to cooperate we reverse engineer or downright copy their product so we can make lots of cash that we can use to defend ourselves against them when they sue.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

The Apple patents specify hardware.

Show me some Google manufactured hardware?

I'm not saying that they don't specify hardware. There are also software claims being leveraged against HTC too. If I'm reading the list below right, software claims are the majority of the 20 patents.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/a...ent-breakdown/
  • Reply 14 of 104
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Really though, did anyone honestly expect HTC to back down?
  • Reply 15 of 104
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Bye-bye, HTC. They're going to get nailed on at least a few key patents.

They're not going bye-bye. They may take a hit, and the US won't see some cool devices, but this isn't enough to bring down a company like HTC.

As far as them getting nailed on a few patents, we just have to wait and see. I'd like to think they won't, only because I have an HTC phone, but I also understand the importance of holding a company responsible for breaking the law (especially when it's a company from a foreign country ripping off an American company.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

The iPhone is part phone, part "something else" - everyone has since copied the something else part...

The something else part is it's success :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

"HTC quietly brilliant"

Seriously? Busting out slogans to poke fun? You don't see how "Think differently" can EASILY be torn to shreds?

Although, quietly brilliant is kinda funny when you think about it. Quiet meaning secret, and brilliant meaning copying Apple lol
  • Reply 16 of 104
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Look at the crappie device from HTC, you can see why Apple is suing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLOndllpUM
  • Reply 17 of 104
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Maybe apple will win enough money to pay for the Nokia suit.
  • Reply 18 of 104
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Really though, did anyone honestly expect HTC to back down?

and so soon too, of course not.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

Apple is like the rich man who lives at the top of a hill.

But instead of being noble and kind, he keeps sending his attack dogs to maul anyone who tries to come up to greet him.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It will be interesting to see their defense.

Asian base companies are not well known for having a strong legal background when it comes to IP stuff considering that most Chinese (I know HTC is Taiwan but it more Chinese than not) companies do understand the concept of IP since everything is generally for the common good, remember their governments are more communist centric than capitalistic.

I would bet they will need to hirer lawyers to address this matter since they do not have the internal brain trust Apples has for things like this.

Also, HTC roots come from being a contract manufacture to the first large cell phone companies like Motorola, Sony Ericsson, they use to make the no name phones for the large cell phone providers. I really doubt they have much of an IP portfolio since they probably stole most of it from other companies they made phones for.

I said this before, this was a strategic attack on Apple part, HTC is large, make hardward like Apple and most like lack the resource or background to win. If they win or it appears to look like they will win either companies will have to drop their designs or work a deal with Apple to license the technology.