Apple director Jerome York passes away

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday sadly announced the death of Board member Jerome B. (Jerry) York, who had been listed in critical condition in a Michigan hospital following a collapse at his home two nights ago.

York, the chairman, president and CEO of Harwinton Capital, joined Apple’s Board of Directors in 1997. He was the former CFO of IBM and Chrysler, and former vice chairman of Tracinda. He is widely acknowledged for his contributions at both companies during their turnarounds.

“Jerry joined Apple’s Board in 1997 when most doubted the company’s future. He has been a pillar of financial and business expertise and insight on our Board for over a dozen years,” said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. “It’s been a privilege to know and work with Jerry, and I’m going to miss him a lot.”

York was born in Memphis, Tennessee in 1938. He graduated from the United States Military Academy, and received an MS from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MBA from the University of Michigan. Trained as an engineer, York worked his way up through Chrysler to become CFO.

According to his wife Eilene, York collapsed at his Rochester, Michigan home Tuesday night and was transferred to Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital by emergency services.

Doctors attending to the 71-year old Michigan-native said he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.

"With deep sadness we announce the loss of a member of our corporate family and dear friend, Jerry York," Apple says in a tribute posted to its home page. "Jerry courageously joined Apple's Board of Directors in 1997, when many doubted the company's future, and contributed his extraordinary character, business expertise, and leadership to help guide Apple for over a decade. Jerry was one of kind --and we're going to miss him dearly."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    R. I. P.

• Reply 2 of 37
    It is true that he was quite central to both IBM's (people might have forgotten that, at one point, IBM was in dire straits) and Chrysler's turnarounds. And obviously, given his year of joining, Apple's.

Apple now needs to find someone as a replacement who will be farsighted at providing advice and guidance on managing growth and innovation in a post-Jobs era.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    AI, why didn't you post at least a photo of him?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    My Condolences to Mr. York's Family and Friends.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

AI, why didn't you post at least a photo of him?

We did.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Apple's news release uses the adjective "sad" to announce Mr. York's death. Although no doubt Apple's fellow directors, executives and many others in the organization are saddened by Mr. York's passing, in following accepted journalistic standards for news writing, one would would not characterize Apple the company as being sad. People have feelings; companies don't. Corporations may be persons in the legal sense, but they are not alive and don't have emotions. (Wait just a few years, all you AI seekers. R. Daneel Olivaw may be knocking at your door. It may be a lot sooner than CE 5020.)

That being said, from this one human, sincere condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and associates.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Rest in peace Jerry, my best of wishes go to your family.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    May he rest in peace. My thoughts go out to his family.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    that sucks.

eat your veggies, kids
  • Reply 10 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is true that he was quite central to both IBM's (people might have forgotten that, at one point, IBM was in dire straits) and Chrysler's turnarounds. And obviously, given his year of joining, Apple's.

Apple now needs to find someone as a replacement who will be farsighted at providing advice and guidance on managing growth and innovation in a post-Jobs era.

Condolences to the survivors.

Perhaps Marc Andreesen is available.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

that sucks.

eat your veggies, kids

And failing that, buy an iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    adieu Jerome, c'est dûr de mourir au printemps ? tu sais

I am sure this song would have put a smile on your face. It is a very cheerful song, with very uplifting lyrics despite the very sad content.

Thank you for believing in the positive message of Apple when Apple was facing grim times.

We've lost an inspirational and brave man. Rest in peace Jerome York.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

adieu Jerome, c'est dûr de mourir au printemps ? tu sais

I am sure this song would have put a smile on your face. It is a very cheerful song, with very uplifting lyrics despite the very sad content.

Thank you for believing in the positive message of Apple when Apple was facing grim times.

We've lost an inspirational and brave man. Rest in peace Jerome York.

One of the oh so beautiful Brel songs, I hope he departed with la paix dans l' ame. My thoughts go out to his family.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Thanks Jerry.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Rest in peace
  • Reply 16 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    RIP Jerry.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple's news release uses the adjective "sad" to announce Mr. York's death. Although no doubt Apple's fellow directors, executives and many others in the organization are saddened by Mr. York's passing, in following accepted journalistic standards for news writing, one would would not characterize Apple the company as being sad. People have feelings; companies don't. Corporations may be persons in the legal sense, but they are not alive and don't have emotions. (Wait just a few years, all you AI seekers. R. Daneel Olivaw may be knocking at your door. It may be a lot sooner than CE 5020.)

That being said, from this one human, sincere condolences to Mr. York's family, friends and associates.

I don't believe you get it. This isn't a press-release from Apple about an Executive. Jerry was one of the major mentors to Steve and several executives who aided in getting Apple back to solvency. He was a dear friend to Steve and several other key decision makers, at Apple.

This is a formal obituary statement by Apple, on the cover of the corporate web site.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I don't believe you get it. This isn't a press-release from Apple about an Executive. Jerry was one of the major mentors to Steve and several executives who aided in getting Apple back to solvency. He was a dear friend to Steve and several other key decision makers, at Apple.

This is a formal obituary statement by Apple, on the cover of the corporate web site.

I'd like to learn more about his role in the transition. His current data is big on personal history, but I'd like to specifically learn about his contribution in turning Apple around. Sounds like you have some knowledge, please - love to hear more.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Condolences to the survivors. Perhaps Marc Andreesen is available.

Heh... While I do like Marc and have held numerous chats with him many years ago (in a previous life when I was maintaining a certain web centric news site that I started and eventually sold)... I don't think Marc and Jerry are really the same league, Marc knows his stuff but is far more technology minded and not what most would consider a financial wunderkind and yes I know about his venture capital endeavors and I'm sure it will do VERY well but funding technology startups isn't the same thing as being a being someone who can read and interpret US and/or Global financial markets.

I also think Marc and Steve would clash like CRAZY! But hey... maybe I'm wrong and the more I think about it... having Marc on the board would certainly make for some interesting times but again I'm not sure Apple would be as beneficial as they were with Jerry.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

“Jerry joined Apple’s Board in 1997 when most doubted the company’s future. He has been a pillar of financial and business expertise and insight on our Board for over a dozen years,” said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. “It’s been a privilege to know and work with Jerry, and I’m going to miss him a lot.”

I agree. Jerome York gave Apple his credebility in a time of need. We should all be grateful for his generosity.

\\\

When a ship sinks, rats flee. Jerome York ran the other way. For this alone, we should be grateful.